AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass8181  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22594650

http://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/m3d651sv.html

I figured since this new set was making its way to shelves, it was time to have an official place to trade pic settings and discuss this set. Just picked it up, enjoying the picture. Great screen uniformity, no clouding, and fairly nice blacks.

It find it hard to believe there is "NO" clouding. I think that would be a first for an LCD television, especially edge lit.


Is the 3D improved over the 650? The 650 didn't have much 3D effect from what I read in the review of the 650.

Televisioninfo Review of M3D650SV


In fact, I am wondering what they did change from the 650 to 651.


Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as clouding, i am not sittin there with a fine tooth comb inspecting each inch of the screen. The screen is uniform and i see no clouding with my eyes. Im sure if i stood up and looked in an extremely critical manner, i would see slight clouding due to it being edge lit.


Not sure what is meant by not much 3d effect. I watched avatar 3d blu ray and was impressed. I have an active 3d set as well and the flicker free was much more enjoyable. Its now 240hz compared to the 120 hz on the 650. At least thats what viz says. Not sure about the other innard changes.


Its a great set and many would be hard pressed to beat that set for $1700. Its no sharp elite but thats ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So, I am very happy with this set. I've had it for a week now, and it is massive and everything looks great on it.


I use the calibration settings that I found here:

www.hometheater.com/content/vizio-m3d650sv-3d-led-lcd-tv-settings


I have a question for anyone that may know better than me. On most 3D TVs there is a way to force it into 3D mode where the user sets if the 3D signal is coming in as top/bottom or side-by-side. For some reason this setting is locked out when I am using component. I can force this setting from HDMI.


I use this setting all the time on my m3d421sr on component. I have a 1st generation Xbox 360 that only has component, and I use this setting to do the full-screen-split-screen trick with the 3D glasses. I was hoping to be able to employ the same trick on this set, but I would have to have an xbox with an HDMI connection for some reason. As a side not it doesn't allow me to force these settings when I am using the RGB connection on either set. Does anyone know if there is a way to override the lockout on this? It doesn't seem like there would be any reason to limit me to HDMI for this.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamitomi  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22661076


So, I am very happy with this set. I've had it for a week now, and it is massive and everything looks great on it.

I use the calibration settings that I found here:
www.hometheater.com/content/vizio-m3d650sv-3d-led-lcd-tv-settings

I have a question for anyone that may know better than me. On most 3D TVs there is a way to force it into 3D mode where the user sets if the 3D signal is coming in as top/bottom or side-by-side. For some reason this setting is locked out when I am using component. I can force this setting from HDMI.

I use this setting all the time on my m3d421sr on component. I have a 1st generation Xbox 360 that only has component, and I use this setting to do the full-screen-split-screen trick with the 3D glasses. I was hoping to be able to employ the same trick on this set, but I would have to have an xbox with an HDMI connection for some reason. As a side not it doesn't allow me to force these settings when I am using the RGB connection on either set. Does anyone know if there is a way to override the lockout on this? It doesn't seem like there would be any reason to limit me to HDMI for this.

Thanks!

You cannot use 3d with a component connection. You need an HDMI adapter for your xbox. Thankfully I have the elite so I have no worry....I just wish this TV wasn't sold out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts


I've used the AVS 709 Disk in my Blu Ray player to adjust the basic picture settings. I posted the results in the other M3D651SV thread.


Is there any way to determine what the Temperature (gains and offsets) settings should be using just a calibration DVD without having special equipment? I have mine set on "Normal" and I've left the settings all on the default 128 (it appears they range from 0-255). But I notice in numerous threads folks have tweaked these numbers. Also in the review for the earlier model I see they were tweaked. But my understanding is that these settings are probably unique to each individual set, not just to each model.


Thanks

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I pre-ordered the M3D651SV on Amazon a week ago they just sent me an email stating it will SHIP on the Dec 7th!


So it should start showing up in Inventory soon...Good Luck:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endallian  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22666141


I pre-ordered the M3D651SV on Amazon a week ago they just sent me an email stating it will SHIP on the Dec 7th!

So it should start showing up in Inventory soon...Good Luck:D

That's good news, maybe we'll see some others here then as well. I think Vizio might have concentrated their manufacturing efforts on the E-series, but I think this 65inch M3D651SV is quite nice.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22665671


I've used the AVS 709 Disk in my Blu Ray player to adjust the basic picture settings. I posted the results in the other M3D651SV thread.

Is there any way to determine what the Temperature (gains and offsets) settings should be using just a calibration DVD without having special equipment? I have mine set on "Normal" and I've left the settings all on the default 128 (it appears they range from 0-255). But I notice in numerous threads folks have tweaked these numbers. Also in the review for the earlier model I see they were tweaked. But my understanding is that these settings are probably unique to each individual set, not just to each model.

Thanks

Rick

Rick, I have the M3D650SV and I am following this thread because there was not an official one for my model. Try these settings and see what you think. I will type them order, I hope the menus are the same

Picture Mode: Standard, 50, 47, 86, 50, 0, 7

Size and Position: 32, 16, 0, 0

Color Temp: Normal, 143, 120, 132, 131, 133, 139

Advanced Picture: OFF, OFF, OFF, NORMAL, LOW, AUTO, OFF, OFF

It would nice if Vizio would add a "blue only" mode for adjusting color and tint. All of the presets baseball, football, golf, etc.....does anybody use them, seems useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sc  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22668414


Rick, I have the M3D650SV and I am following this thread because there was not an official one for my model. Try these settings and see what you think. I will type them order, I hope the menus are the same

Picture Mode: Standard, 50, 47, 86, 50, 0, 7

Size and Position: 32, 16, 0, 0

Color Temp: Normal, 143, 120, 132, 131, 133, 139

Advanced Picture: OFF, OFF, OFF, NORMAL, LOW, AUTO, OFF, OFF

It would nice if Vizio would add a "blue only" mode for adjusting color and tint. All of the presets baseball, football, golf, etc.....does anybody use them, seems useless.

I"ll give those a try, though I can see right now that the Size parameter I use are diff. I have my Vert and Horizontal size at +1. This is based on the pattern in the AVS 709 geometry pattern as well as some anecdotal obsevations on one or two tv broadcasts.


Also, If the order is the same, It looks like you have Adaptive luma set to LOW, I have tried the setting and checked a few different dark scenes in some movies and found it worked better on my set when that is off. I've also played around with the Smart dimming and in almost all of the cases, i found that to help with dark scenes.The most apprent difference came watching Equilibrium opening scene.


I'll try those temperature settings to see how they look. I may try some trial and error based on an Avia color decoder pattern.


Thanks for the settings to try.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22668603


I"ll give those a try, though I can see right now that the Size parameter I use are diff. I have my Vert and Horizontal size at +1. This is based on the pattern in the AVS 709 geometry pattern as well as some anecdotal obsevations on one or two tv broadcasts.

Also, If the order is the same, It looks like you have Adaptive luma set to LOW, I have tried the setting and checked a few different dark scenes in some movies and found it worked better on my set when that is off. I've also played around with the Smart dimming and in almost all of the cases, i found that to help with dark scenes.The most apprent difference came watching Equilibrium opening scene.

I'll try those temperature settings to see how they look. I may try some trial and error based on an Avia color decoder pattern.

Thanks for the settings to try.

Rick

About the H and V Position, that may be a difference in our menus. I used a test pattern also and only had to adjust by 1 or 2 clicks from the factory setting at the most



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
I only had to adjust the H and V size by 1 click to get the pattern correct. In fact it wasn't even off by a full click amount. but I'm fine with a minscule amount of overscan. This set is replacing a 65inch Rear Projection CRT which had around 4% overscan if I recall and that was after adjusting it. On my Vizio, I only noticed the size issue on one or two broadcasts on a couple of channels, it was pretty minor, and the 1 point adjustment was more than enough to take care of it.


From your pics, that menu looks the same as mine.


One thing I notice on your pic, is that your settings is that You have Smooth Mtion effect set to off, and you are able to have the Cinema Mode also Off. In mine when I turn off Smooth Motion, which I do have off, the Cinema Mode sets itself to Smooth regardless of the setting I had it on, including Off. I spent some time on the phone with Vizio support, as I wanted this off. after confimring that I had tried a few different ways to turn it off, the support person finally told me that the Cinema mode default was LOW, but that with Smooth Motion set to off, the Cinema Motion wasn't used anyway. This explanation was after a bit of a dealy, and I don't know if she was getting this from some technical source or just deduced this. It did sound reasonable, but I'm not convinced.


I initially thought it might be the position until I ran the test patern.


I am starting to notice some light bleeding, or flashlighting in my upper right corner on some dark scenes. But I'm not sure. I'll see how it looks with after some more tweaks. I might just be over sensitive to it after reading so many threads. I also have some very minor lip sync issues. But not sure they aren't constant so I'm not sure what if anything I'll do. They are hard to identify in any event.


Thanks

rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22670160


One thing I notice on your pic, is that your settings is that You have Smooth Mtion effect set to off, and you are able to have the Cinema Mode also Off. In mine when I turn off Smooth Motion, which I do have off, the Cinema Mode sets itself to Smooth regardless of the setting I had it on, including Off. I spent some time on the phone with Vizio support, as I wanted this off. after confimring that I had tried a few different ways to turn it off, the support person finally told me that the Cinema mode default was LOW, but that with Smooth Motion set to off, the Cinema Motion wasn't used anyway. This explanation was after a bit of a dealy, and I don't know if she was getting this from some technical source or just deduced this. It did sound reasonable, but I'm not convinced.

I initially thought it might be the position until I ran the test patern.


rick

Try turning Smooth Motion Effect to any setting except OFF, click down to Real Cinema Mode and select OFF, then back to Smooth Motion Effect and turn that OFF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
nope, I tired that as well as a few other things. I may revisit at some point, but pic seems fine as it is, so I'm not overly concerned, though I would still prefer to see it off.


Thanks

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22668603


.......... I may try some trial and error based on an Avia color decoder pattern.


Rick

I've been doing more reading on those temperature settings and it appears that using them to adjust the results of the color decoder patterns is not the correct approach. Apparently these settings are acutally used to adjust the grey scale of the display. So I'll probably hold off doing much to them. Or if I do anything I'll do it while watching a gray scale steps pattern.


It looks like Amazon had some back in stock, but are sold out again. I have to say I really like the image on this TV.


Thanks!

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Well, I just read the review in CNET for this model and was a little surprised. While overall it gave a "good" rating, the tone of the review was distinctly negative. However as I read the read through those things that bothered the viewer the most, I compared to my subjective thoughts after watching the TV for a week and half.


1. Screen Glare -- I agree it is a reflective screen. I have a large picture window immediately to the left of the TV and patio doors across the room on the right of the tv. both have blinds. I have a table lamp on a table that is square in front of the TV. Neither the patio nor the picture window give me any problem. In fact probably less than my old RPCRT. The table lamp does reflect, but it's seldom on when watching tv, so it isn't an issue. This was one of my concernes about this TV, but for me, it works better than I expected.


2. Crushed blacks - I just don't see this. Even out of the box, I was happy with the detail in the black area. After using the AVS 709 claibration patterns, I was quite happy with them. The blacks aren't quite as deep as I had with the RPCRT, but my RPCRT had more of a tendency to crush blacks than this one.


3. Blue push. When I first starting checking the AVS 709 Patterns I thought this might be an issue. I had also noted that in one of the dark foggy scenes in the Pirates of the Caribean, Stranger Tides, had a blue cast. However, after tweaking the settings, and turning off some of the enhanced picture settings, these scenes looks quite good. And rechecking the color step patterns on the AVS 709 patterns didn't reveal issues.


I know that CNET has a more objective approach, but thought I'd share a laymans "subjective" review.


Thanks

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22676249


3. Blue push. When I first starting checking the AVS 709 Patterns I thought this might be an issue. I had also noted that in one of the dark foggy scenes in the Pirates of the Caribean, Stranger Tides, had a blue cast. However, after tweaking the settings, and turning off some of the enhanced picture settings, these scenes looks quite good. And rechecking the color step patterns on the AVS 709 patterns didn't reveal issues.

I know that CNET has a more objective approach, but thought I'd share a laymans "subjective" review.

Thanks

Rick

I have been trying to get the blue down on this set for 2 weeks. Blues just jump out on the picture and many blacks look Navy Blue. While trying to keep the red color correct.


The other problem is the screen flicker when there is a scene change. I have also noticed it when I have the Picture Menu up and go to close it. It should just slide back to the left and off the screen but sometimes the whole screen will flutter, like the picture can't refresh fast enough. This sound like a hardware problem to me.


I really like the set but these 2 issues will have to be fixed or I won't be keeping it. I'm not sure if Sams has any left to exchange the set or if I should go through Vizio.


Any suggestions on getting the blue push down would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum  /t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread#post_22680750


I have been trying to get the blue down on this set for 2 weeks. Blues just jump out on the picture and many blacks look Navy Blue. While trying to keep the red color correct.

The other problem is the screen flicker when there is a scene change. I have also noticed it when I have the Picture Menu up and go to close it. It should just slide back to the left and off the screen but sometimes the whole screen will flutter, like the picture can't refresh fast enough. This sound like a hardware problem to me.

I really like the set but these 2 issues will have to be fixed or I won't be keeping it. I'm not sure if Sams has any left to exchange the set or if I should go through Vizio.

Any suggestions on getting the blue push down would be appreciated.

In most of my watching, I had not noticed the blue cast until I watched a movie during the evening. During the day, and for most of the TV shows, I hadn't noticed it.


I noticed the blue cast during a foggy scene in Pirates - Stranger Tides. I recall I turned down the backlight to around 50 I think, and turned off Adaptive luma, and Color Enhancement. Left on the Smart Dimming. I thought I had wrote this down but I couldn'tfind it. I made those changes pretty quick as wife and I were watching the movie.


I'm trying out some other settings now. I won't be able to check the Pirates scene until next week, but right now I'm using the following settings:


This is on Custom Pic Mode:

Backlight 53 (could be higher)

Bright 59

Contrast 69

color 48

tint 0

Sharp 6

For Color Temp I used Custom Color mode:


left everything at defaults EXCEPT:

Green Offset - 110

Blue Offset - 90


Mostly in the Advanced Pic I leave most of settings off, but I did turn Enhanced Color back on, Smart Dimming on, and Film mode on auto.


I did the Basic settings using AVS calibration patterns, BUT the color temp settings I did using some scenes from a show that I saw the blue in. After adjusting the temps, I went back in and reset the basic to the values above (the only one that changed was bright - it had been at 53).


The color temp settings are pretty subjective on my part. I haven't visually checed in gray ramps yet. But they look pretty good to me so far. I want to check a few scenes (Equilibrium opening and Pirates Stranger Tides fog scene). I may make some more tweaks. Once I do, I may make these color temp changes in the Normal Color menu rather than the custom.


Jut my SUBJECTIVE approach. I'm pretty happy so far. If you have some comments or try some other things, post them here!


Thanks

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav  /t/1428926/vizio-m3d651sv/60#post_22683331


I am not sure whether I am also facing banding problem or not

but I am noticing white cloud at the time of start up [not entire screen.. I can say its middle of screen -- all most of size 27 inches tv].. It will be there for couple of seconds and then screen looks normally.

any idea about what it is?

After you turn on your TV, change your input to one that has nothing connected. You should get a window pop saying no signal, but look at the screen and see how uniform it is. Do the clouds show up on that screen.


The other thing to check is how it looks in a movie scene that is mostly dark, or black. If the clouds don't appear during dark scenes, I'm not sure how concerned I'd be, but if it really bothers you, you might consider trying to exchange.


I think "banding" is a different issue and you might see it during pans of light colored scenes, clouds or fog perhaps?


As I understand it, these things can show up in a number of different brands, not just Vizio.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Thanks for quick reply


one more user in Amazon described same problem like below:


******************

: The only real screen issue I see is on a very dark black screen you can see some grey smokey areas in the middle (seen easiest on the boot up screen with the V logo)

*******************
 
1 - 20 of 256 Posts
Top