AVS Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 3038 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey guys I just wanted to chime in that rtings.com has confirmed the Black crush I am experiencing in dolbyvision content is present on there review unit as well. Just FYI. So this is indeed a bug in the tv.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/L9cTwqJJWVfFx8ON/dolbyvision-black-crush-p-series

Michael, do you think this DV black crush could be related to the experience I'm having (and others are having) in Dolby Vision, as described here?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2992310-official-vizio-p-series-2018-p55-f1-p65-f1-p75-f1-owners-thread-no-price-talk-82.html#post57976294

In a nutshell, ONLY in DV, but on both external devices and the native TV apps, dark areas blotch out blue/purple. Noticed it in Stranger Things season 3 also, but still the best example is four minutes into the Netflix show Chambers, pics attached in this post. Are you seeing this effect as well?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Michael, do you think this DV black crush could be related to the experience I'm having (and others are having) in Dolby Vision, as described here?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2992310-official-vizio-p-series-2018-p55-f1-p65-f1-p75-f1-owners-thread-no-price-talk-82.html#post57976294

In a nutshell, ONLY in DV, but on both external devices and the native TV apps, dark areas blotch out blue/purple. Noticed it in Stranger Things season 3 also, but still the best example is four minutes into the Netflix show Chambers, pics attached in this post. Are you seeing this effect as well?
I watched Stranger Things S3 on the Xbox One app and did not notice any blue/purple issues. Not necessarily saying it didn't happen, just that I did not notice it.
The only thing I noticed that it was darker than the HDR version via my Roku Ultra.

·
Registered
459 Posts

I watched Stranger Things S3 on the Xbox One app and did not notice any blue/purple issues. Not necessarily saying it didn't happen, just that I did not notice it.
The only thing I noticed that it was darker than the HDR version via my Roku Ultra.
If I didn't already know I had the problem, I might not have noticed it in Stranger Things. But it was there in a few scenes.

If you want to see if you have it, go to Chambers on Netflix, first episode, like the second scene when they go into the dark store. It's egregious.

I'd actually love to hear more people say they looked at that scene and DIDN'T see it, so it was a defect and could be replaced. But I suspect it's a problem with DV, especially now hearing about the black crush as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I didn't already know I had the problem, I might not have noticed it in Stranger Things. But it was there in a few scenes.

If you want to see if you have it, go to Chambers on Netflix, first episode, like the second scene when they go into the dark store. It's egregious.

I'd actually love to hear more people say they looked at that scene and DIDN'T see it, so it was a defect and could be replaced. But I suspect it's a problem with DV, especially now hearing about the black crush as well.
Yeah you're right. I just checked my P65-F1 and see the same behavior on Netflix regardless if played through Apple TV 4k or Native Netflix app. I have also seen this behavior in Marco Polo on Netflix. I used to also see this same behavior on Pacific Rim 2 via iTunes but Apple did a software update to the Apple TV and now my iTunes movies look perfect so I don't know if it's really a TV problem or more a Netflix problem. Have you seen this behavior in other apps? Because I haven't

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone got experience with Vizios replacement process? Have my P65-F1 being replaced as "beyond economical repair".

Little worried as they said the warehouse will let me know what the model of the replacement is? I explained I wouldn't accept a lesser model but WTH - surely it would be at least like for like.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah you're right. I just checked my P65-F1 and see the same behavior on Netflix regardless if played through Apple TV 4k or Native Netflix app. I have also seen this behavior in Marco Polo on Netflix. I used to also see this same behavior on Pacific Rim 2 via iTunes but Apple did a software update to the Apple TV and now my iTunes movies look perfect so I don't know if it's really a TV problem or more a Netflix problem. Have you seen this behavior in other apps? Because I haven't

Thanks for checking. I would be inclined to chalk it up to a netflix issue, since that's where I see it the most. But it's also where I watch the most Dolby Vision content. However, the very first time I ever saw it was on Equalizer 2. It's horrendous in that. I'm 99% sure that I tried watching that in iTunes and Vudu on the Apple TV and Vudu on the TV app. I will look at the iTunes version and see if it's still there, or if it has also been fixed.

That would be interesting if it was fixed...that would indicate that it is a TV problem, but something that COULD be overcome by the provider, if iTunes is somehow not affected anymore.

What I've been able to tell is that it's most likely to happen to blue and dark blue parts in very dark scenes..clothes, blankets, etc. So in that Chambers scene, I believe his shirt and her shorts are blue, and they block out bluish/purple. In Equalizer 2 it's bad when he's skulking around outside the apartment in the dark, and he's also wearing blue.

It also doesn't appear on all DV content, but I'm not 100% sure if that's because the conditions aren't right in everything, or there's something in the metadata of just certain things that the Vizio can't handle. It's very frustrating, because I can set the Apple TV to HDR10 and it looks fine, but I had an HDR10 tv and replaced it with this specifically to have Dolby Vision, and it's frustrating that it sucks.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Also, I talked to Vizio about it and they sent someone out to replace the board, but they didn't indicate they'd ever heard of it or had any idea about it. When the technician came out, he could see it, and was ready to replace the board, but said that it was clearly a software issue and that it wasn't going to be fixed with a new board. I didn't have him change it...I don't have any of the other handshake or ARC issues other people have, so I really didn't want to mess with it if it wasn't going to make a difference.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for checking. I would be inclined to chalk it up to a netflix issue, since that's where I see it the most. But it's also where I watch the most Dolby Vision content. However, the very first time I ever saw it was on Equalizer 2. It's horrendous in that. I'm 99% sure that I tried watching that in iTunes and Vudu on the Apple TV and Vudu on the TV app. I will look at the iTunes version and see if it's still there, or if it has also been fixed.

That would be interesting if it was fixed...that would indicate that it is a TV problem, but something that COULD be overcome by the provider, if iTunes is somehow not affected anymore.

What I've been able to tell is that it's most likely to happen to blue and dark blue parts in very dark scenes..clothes, blankets, etc. So in that Chambers scene, I believe his shirt and her shorts are blue, and they block out bluish/purple. In Equalizer 2 it's bad when he's skulking around outside the apartment in the dark, and he's also wearing blue.

It also doesn't appear on all DV content, but I'm not 100% sure if that's because the conditions aren't right in everything, or there's something in the metadata of just certain things that the Vizio can't handle. It's very frustrating, because I can set the Apple TV to HDR10 and it looks fine, but I had an HDR10 tv and replaced it with this specifically to have Dolby Vision, and it's frustrating that it sucks.
I understand your frustrations. I just checked some of my iTunes content like for example on Hunger Games 2 the opening sequence when she is hunting the turkeys and just before that when they're by the stream has a lot of contrast. When I first got the Apple TV 4K this whole scene was terrible. They fixed it in Apple TV OS 11. I just installed a new update last night and it is slightly broken again. I'm seeing the blue and purple in the darker parts although very very slight. One movie that was particularly horrendous for me was Girl On The Train at 33:42 mark. That whole scene her hair and outfit used to be pixelated but it is still perfect. I'll be checking other content over later but I just got a new set of brake pads and rotors in the mail which I need to put on my car

·
Registered
808 Posts
The only gripe I have is I noticed with hdr or Dolby vision content there's a desaturation effect near both sides of the TV that isn't there in sdr content....it's more obvious in red and green hues so it's very obvious in the movie the Martian or Mad Max.....its the strangest thing since it doesn't happen in sdr.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I checked the scene using three different sources.
First via the Netflix app on my X700 player. The effect was minor. If I wasnt looking for it I might not have noticed it, but there was no mistaking it when I saw it. At that level, I could have lived with it.
Second was the P65's Netflix app. Sweet geebus. There was no missing it. Awful..just awful.
Third was the Netflix app on my Xbox One. Best of them all. It was still there, but it was so minor that you would really have to be looking for it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I checked the scene using three different sources.
First via the Netflix app on my X700 player. The effect was minor. If I wasnt looking for it I might not have noticed it, but there was no mistaking it when I saw it. At that level, I could have lived with it.
Second was the P65's Netflix app. Sweet geebus. There was no missing it. Awful..just awful.
Third was the Netflix app on my Xbox One. Best of them all. It was still there, but it was so minor that you would really have to be looking for it.

Cool, good info. From what I've seen, that scene is the all time worst. So barely there in that scene should be almost unnoticeable on anything else. In my experience the Apple TV is almost as bad as the Vizio app.

Now, awhile ago I posted this issue on the Vizio reddit. No response from Vizio official, but a user responded with this...he actually posted this a while ago, but I didn't see it until yesterday:

"I finally was able to eliminate it all together. Go into color tuner and change blue saturation to like -25 to -35. You can pause it on a screen and watch it go away. i am sure some people will blast me for suggesting this, but as far as my eye can tell I dont see any affect on picture quality by changing this setting."

So, last night I went ahead and tried it. Sure enough, as you reduce blue saturation, the effect goes away. I had to take it down to -35 to get the Chambers scene to "wouldn't notice if I wasn't looking for it" level, and flipping over to Equalizer 2, the effect was gone.

Now, making a change like that gives me the willies, but as this person commented, on VERY limited viewing last night I didn't notice a negative effect on the picture by changing that. I'd have to do a bunch of A/B testing...it seems like changing something like that as much should make the picture overall worse, and if it ruins the picture for everything else, it's not worth it. But I don't have the world's most trained eye, and so if everything else looks otherwise ok, I might stay with it.

I don't know anything about calibrating, but I wonder based on this if there would be an ideal calibration that would make that effect mostly go away without causing too much trouble to the picture.

I'll try to do some further viewing to see what I think.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Cool, good info. From what I've seen, that scene is the all time worst. So barely there in that scene should be almost unnoticeable on anything else. In my experience the Apple TV is almost as bad as the Vizio app.

Now, awhile ago I posted this issue on the Vizio reddit. No response from Vizio official, but a user responded with this...he actually posted this a while ago, but I didn't see it until yesterday:

"I finally was able to eliminate it all together. Go into color tuner and change blue saturation to like -25 to -35. You can pause it on a screen and watch it go away. i am sure some people will blast me for suggesting this, but as far as my eye can tell I dont see any affect on picture quality by changing this setting."

So, last night I went ahead and tried it. Sure enough, as you reduce blue saturation, the effect goes away. I had to take it down to -35 to get the Chambers scene to "wouldn't notice if I wasn't looking for it" level, and flipping over to Equalizer 2, the effect was gone.

Now, making a change like that gives me the willies, but as this person commented, on VERY limited viewing last night I didn't notice a negative effect on the picture by changing that. I'd have to do a bunch of A/B testing...it seems like changing something like that as much should make the picture overall worse, and if it ruins the picture for everything else, it's not worth it. But I don't have the world's most trained eye, and so if everything else looks otherwise ok, I might stay with it.

I don't know anything about calibrating, but I wonder based on this if there would be an ideal calibration that would make that effect mostly go away without causing too much trouble to the picture.

I'll try to do some further viewing to see what I think.
Interesting. I tried this and when I set my TV between Vivid and Calibrated and Calibrated Dark I can only see the pixelation in Vivid so it does appear to reduce the appearance of this issue. I do notice by setting it to -35 that everything seems to lack depth of color. I'm gonna have to keep watching content and report back. It's honestly pretty disappointing because I thought all these issues had been fixed but I guess I haven't been looking at nearly as much DV content as I did when I bought the TV last summer

·
Registered
459 Posts
Interesting. I tried this and when I set my TV between Vivid and Calibrated and Calibrated Dark I can only see the pixelation in Vivid so it does appear to reduce the appearance of this issue. I do notice by setting it to -35 that everything seems to lack depth of color. I'm gonna have to keep watching content and report back. It's honestly pretty disappointing because I thought all these issues had been fixed but I guess I haven't been looking at nearly as much DV content as I did when I bought the TV last summer

I felt like I noticed some degradation at -35 last night watching something on HBO Go, so not Dolby Vision or HDR. I reset it to default to finish watching that.

I think it's probably not a great idea for me to calibrate it to that Chambers scene, as that's the absolute worst ever, and changing it enough to make it go away on that scene is probably overkill for everything else. After, I used Equalizer 2 and took it to -25, which was enough to clear it up on that. Maybe that will have less of an impact on everything else.

I didn't really notice it having a lack of depth of color overall. I do know that it only "fixes" it to the extent that it makes the jarring purple/blue go away replaced by a darkness that fits the scene. But the affected area is still devoid of any detail you might hope, it's still sort of "blanked". But it's way less distracting.

I wish Vizio would address it, it seems like it has to be a software thing that could be fixed...there just doesn't seem to be any momentum behind the issue though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone else having issues pairing the iOS smartcast app with the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my fourth P75. Finally, I think this one is a keeper. No jail bars and very slight DSE that I can probably live with. I can enjoy sports again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. just got my 4th tv from vizio and this one was perfect. So frigging happy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello all,
Got a problem with, I assume, my Vizio P75-F1.
Denon 4300 is only used for audio on my Oppo and Pana 820. The Pana audio hdmi would not work as long
as the output from the Denon to the Vizio was hdmi. Unplugged the cord and now the Pana audio works.
In place of the hdmi video from the Denon(which was only used for accessing the menu on the Denon) to the Vizio, I plugged in a component cable I had.

The Vizio doesn't recognize the Denon signal for some reason. Yes, I went to Comp input, but still no signal.
Any settings I might have missed?
Jack
Same problem here. I had to pull a small tv off another wall to tweak my Denon settings.
Heck, who uses Comp anymore?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, I'm on about page 78 of this thread so I apologize if this was addressed and I haven't seen it yet. I just ordered a refurb P75-F1 from Amazon and it should be here in a few days. In my case, I'll be using it almost exclusively as a monitor for my HTPC (using Emby/Kodi for TV and movies). I haven't (yet) read much about people using it for that purpose. I just installed a Radeon RTX 560 in order to hopefully use Windows 10 HDR, but I've read some reports of in Windows 4k/HDR not being ideal for web browsing, etc.

I'd really like to hear from anyone using this TV with an HTPC and how it handles both media and basic computer tasks like web browsing, etc. I do some gaming with a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One (OG), and that's important, but it's secondary to web browsing and TV/Movies using Kodi.

2821 - 2840 of 3038 Posts