AVS Forum banner

2941 - 2960 of 3038 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Is this a faulty TV?

Vizio 2018 P series 55 in .... i notice in Dolby/HDR content reds tend to desaturate towards the edge of the screen..... isn’t noticeable at all in SDR

This is around the 10:15 mark in The Martian.... don’t notice it in most content but when there’s all red Martian desert it’s noticeable. Was wondering if this is something people notice on VA panels or do I have some kind of tech glitchery going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's hard to determine when using landscape shots, especially if local dimming is enabled. The best way to tell is to display a solid red background and see how that responds. Also, VA panels can have pretty strong color shift when viewed off axis.

·
Registered
535 Posts
When using an HDMI connected device should my set show HDR10+ in the banner? I got the latest update on my 65f, picked up a Panny UB-420 player and tried testing HDR10+ with my Dark Phoenix disc. When I check the info banner on the Panny it shows HDR10+ is currently playing, but the info banner on my Vizio set still shows HDR10...?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's hard to determine when using landscape shots, especially if local dimming is enabled. The best way to tell is to display a solid red background and see how that responds. Also, VA panels can have pretty strong color shift when viewed off axis.
I can force HDR/DOLBY on my Apple TV even when displaying SDR content so I fired up solid color slides in YouTube. First is SDR second is forcing the Apple TV into Dolby Vision. Also this isn’t an Apple TV problem bc Martian still displays the same way with the TVs built in apps.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can force HDR/DOLBY on my Apple TV even when displaying SDR content so I fired up solid color slides in YouTube. First is SDR second is forcing the Apple TV into Dolby Vision. Also this isn’t an Apple TV problem bc Martian still displays the same way with the TVs built in apps.
That looks pretty uniform to me.

Do all scenes have that effect? If not, it may be a theatrical effect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting and informative video. While I can see the point he is making, I still wouldnt call them "drab".
Video is also from ~2016... Guardians of the Galaxy 2 hadnt even hit theaters yet.
I think the newer films do a better job in the color department.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When using an HDMI connected device should my set show HDR10+ in the banner? I got the latest update on my 65f, picked up a Panny UB-420 player and tried testing HDR10+ with my Dark Phoenix disc. When I check the info banner on the Panny it shows HDR10+ is currently playing, but the info banner on my Vizio set still shows HDR10...?

That disc isnt in hdr10+ do a google search for hdr10+ blurays and you will see there are only about a dozen or so made in that format....i have alien thats how i tested mine...or watch something from amazon prime to test out hdr10+

·
Registered
535 Posts
That disc isnt in hdr10+ do a google search for hdr10+ blurays and you will see there are only about a dozen or so made in that format....i have alien thats how i tested mine...or watch something from amazon prime to test out hdr10+
Dark Phoenix is definitely hdr10+, says it right on the front of the box and I can't change HDR optimizer settings on my Panny 4k player as a message pops up saying that it's playing an hdr10+ disc.

When you tested with Alien, did you get a hdr10+ banner on the Vizio set?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dark Phoenix is definitely hdr10+, says it right on the front of the box and I can't change HDR optimizer settings on my Panny 4k player as a message pops up saying that it's playing an hdr10+ disc.

When you tested with Alien, did you get a hdr10+ banner on the Vizio set?

Yeah it does and yes i do..and i have the p65f1 and samsung ubdm9500 and i didnt think that movie was because its not listed on the page i have with all 4k blu rays in hdr10+ ,,,,and every movie i have on amazon also says hdr 10+ on my tv......just checked now i see it opps haha,,,,so im not sure but good luck and happy holidays =))

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah it does and yes i do..and i have the p65f1 and samsung ubdm9500 and i didnt think that movie was because its not listed on the page i have with all 4k blu rays in hdr10+ ,,,,and every movie i have on amazon also says hdr 10+ on my tv......just checked now i see it opps haha,,,,so im not sure but good luck and happy holidays =))
Appreciate it! I still have a Samsung m7500 player, I might try it with that and see if the banner shows up. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Appreciate it! I still have a Samsung m7500 player, I might try it with that and see if the banner shows up. Thanks

Yep np keep me posted on what happens im not sure what samsung players have hdr10+ ,,i never knew mine did until my tv got it yanno,,i bet nobody knew... i posted it in the forums and nobody has replied yet lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yep np keep me posted on what happens im not sure what samsung players have hdr10+ ,,i never knew mine did until my tv got it yanno,,i bet nobody knew... i posted it in the forums and nobody has replied yet lol
Quick update regarding hdr10+, it was the HDMI cable. I hooked up my Samsung m7500 player on a separate input with a different cable, used Dark Phoenix again to test and the hdr10+ logo was on the Vizio banner. Tried the same cable on my panny player and hdr10+ works fine now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all, I recently got a re-certified replacement P55-F1 for the previous P55-F1 I had for almost a year. The DSE on the first tv was pretty bad, and there were other issues, like the TV randomly turning off on its own at times and needing to unplug and replug the tv to restart, etc. I was never really happy with the first tv, but I didn't return it in time, and with a week left in the one year warranty I decided to see if a replacement would be better.

I received the re-certified TV last week, and while it's still not perfect (DSE is still there if looking for it), it is an improvement. However, the issue that's bothering me now relates to what I think is the TVs FALD system. When there is a scene when the camera is moving, you can see a decent amount of FALD light blinking. I think it is worse in HDR content. Additionally, I was watching Rogue One in HDR on Disney+ through Roku 4k Streaming Stick last night. When the TV refreshes a scene, you can see the entire screen blinking quite a bit across the entire TV. I'm attaching a GIF video of this. It looks worse in person, but I think you can get the idea. The video is with medium active full array.

Unfortunately, I don't know/can't remember if the prior TV had these similar issues, both because I didn't have Disney+/Roku at the time and I wasn't watching the same content. However, this wasn't a problem that I noticed before. Does anyone have these similar issues? I still have three months of warranty under this replacement TV, so I should be able to get another replacement, but if this flickering issue is normal, I may just keep this replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all, I recently got a re-certified replacement P55-F1 for the previous P55-F1 I had for almost a year. The DSE on the first tv was pretty bad, and there were other issues, like the TV randomly turning off on its own at times and needing to unplug and replug the tv to restart, etc. I was never really happy with the first tv, but I didn't return it in time, and with a week left in the one year warranty I decided to see if a replacement would be better.

I received the re-certified TV last week, and while it's still not perfect (DSE is still there if looking for it), it is an improvement. However, the issue that's bothering me now relates to what I think is the TVs FALD system. When there is a scene when the camera is moving, you can see a decent amount of FALD light blinking. I think it is worse in HDR content. Additionally, I was watching Rogue One in HDR on Disney+ through Roku 4k Streaming Stick last night. When the TV refreshes a scene, you can see the entire screen blinking quite a bit across the entire TV. I'm attaching a GIF video of this. It looks worse in person, but I think you can get the idea. The video is with medium active full array.

Unfortunately, I don't know/can't remember if the prior TV had these similar issues, both because I didn't have Disney+/Roku at the time and I wasn't watching the same content. However, this wasn't a problem that I noticed before. Does anyone have these similar issues? I still have three months of warranty under this replacement TV, so I should be able to get another replacement, but if this flickering issue is normal, I may just keep this replacement.
What settings are you using for the FALD, the 2018 P series always had a weird handling issue with HDR content and panning.

·
Registered
22 Posts

What settings are you using for the FALD, the 2018 P series always had a weird handling issue with HDR content and panning.
Calibrated Dark
Backlight 50
Brightness/contrast/color all 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temperature Normal
Black detail off
Active full array medium
Reduce Judder 0
Reduce Motion Blur 0
Clear Action Off
Reduce Noise Off
Film Mode On
Color Space Auto
Gamma 2.2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re-certified Expectations

I should be receiving a re-certified P65-F1 in the next few days. I have been experiencing flashing random white lines for a year. Soft restart will sometime take care of them or just wait about 5 minutes and they go away. They replaced the main board and the lines are gone but now HDMI 1 won't pass a UHD full color signal after trying 3 different UHD HDMI cables, I wish the board didn't have this issue because I feel like my panel was really uniform. Now I'm getting a new one so what should I expect?

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Calibrated Dark
Backlight 50
Brightness/contrast/color all 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temperature Normal
Black detail off
Active full array medium
Reduce Judder 0
Reduce Motion Blur 0
Clear Action Off
Reduce Noise Off
Film Mode On
Color Space Auto
Gamma 2.2
I think that what you are seeing is just the array doing its thing. This was less noticeable when I had my P65-F1 because it had more dimming zones. It can be very distracting in some scenes for sure, but I have learned to live with it as pretty much all FALD displays have issues of some sort like this. Some have better algorithms for sure, but I have yet to see a faultless FALD system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I should be receiving a re-certified P65-F1 in the next few days. I have been experiencing flashing random white lines for a year. Soft restart will sometime take care of them or just wait about 5 minutes and they go away. They replaced the main board and the lines are gone but now HDMI 1 won't pass a UHD full color signal after trying 3 different UHD HDMI cables, I wish the board didn't have this issue because I feel like my panel was really uniform. Now I'm getting a new one so what should I expect?

Dave
Just to be sure, do you have it turned on for HDMI1 in the settings?

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have the tv restarting issue often. Has your replacement resolved that issue for you thus far? Debating if I should look into getting replacement on warranty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2941 - 2960 of 3038 Posts