AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 3038 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
P-65 owner here. I'm in the same boat as you as far as the quality of cable tv and coming from plasma. Cable looks worse than it did on the plasma. Plasma was about as old as yours before it got that vertical black bar issue.

Colors in most cable programming appear flat and washed out. Especially skin tones - which also stray to a yellowish tint on many channels. HBO, Showtime and Starz programming looked amazing on the plasma. Especially the individual network series like True Detective, Ray Donovan and Black Sails. Now, I use the apps for HBO and Showtime on my Roku box because of the noticeable boost in quality.

I have the same blu ray player as you do - are you my doppleganger??? - and I havent played any 4k discs on it yet, but I did test the built in Netflix and youtube apps without any problems with 4k/HDR content. Maybe drop a line in the X700 forum? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2951726-official-sony-ubp-x700-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

I'm curious have you tried the normal picture type? I know a common view of calibrated settings are they are warm and yellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@Darious and @karelj , I, too, upgraded my plasma to this TV (58" Panny to a P65-F1), and I can tell you that any flaws that were hardly noticeable (or perhaps not noticeable at all) with a native 1080 signal is magnified by four times, as a 4K TV will be upscaling it to 3840x2160 from 1920x1080; that's right, a 1080p signal is 1/4 of the 4K screen resolution (1/2 width * 1/2 height of the 4K resolution = 1/4 of the total 4K pixel grid :eek:). To compound matters, anything greater than a setting of zero for Sharpness will add even more "noise" to your cable feed. I suggest trying the rtings.com setting and see what you think (of course, you'll want to set Active Full Array to taste) ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
@Darious and @karelj , I, too, upgraded my plasma to this TV (58" Panny to a P65-F1), and I can tell you that any flaws that were hardly noticeable (or perhaps not noticeable at all) with a native 1080 signal is magnified by four times, as a 4K TV will be upscaling it to 3840x2160 from 1920x1080; that's right, a 1080p signal is 1/4 of the 4K screen resolution (1/2 width * 1/2 height of the 4K resolution = 1/4 of the total 4K pixel grid :eek:). To compound matters, anything greater than a setting of zero for Sharpness will add even more "noise" to your cable feed. I suggest trying the rtings.com setting and see what you think (of course, you'll want to set Active Full Array to taste) ;)
So, it appears that some folks that still use the old technology of cable TV experience a picture quality issue. It would be interesting to know if this applies to all cable subscribers.
I use a tiny outdoor antenna for the locals ( up to 1080p quality) and everything else is thru the internet and none of my HD TVs can even come close to the VIZIO P 65" 2018 picture quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm just gonna stop reading this thread because I must be blind...no issues with my set at all.
I am disappointed that I can't access my pc files on the network though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm just gonna stop reading this thread because I must be blind...no issues with my set at all.
I am disappointed that I can't access my pc files on the network though.
By design forums will almost always have people complaining more often than just singing praises. I actually like the P75-F1 a lot and I think most people do. The reviews also back it up. I watched some Planet Earth II yesterday in 4K and it looks stunning. Colors, definition and contrast were all excellent. Also watched the Departed (1080p) and it looked very good. Only here and there in very minor instances I noticed the local dimming working during the movie. My issue is more with quality control or damage during transit with maybe the Vizio's design being more prone to damage that causes pressure to the casing that maybe leads to uniformity / banding issues. If you have a good panel with little to no uniformity issues I think it is the best value TV you can get. Next real step up in quality is going to cost you almost $1k more (Sony 900F) for the 75" for example. I'm getting a replacement panel on Tuesday and if the banding is faint to none I will keep it and be very happy overall.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I am looking at the p75-f1 in canada, i hear all these complaints about cable (i am a cable user), do people output source direct or something? Or are they complaining about 1080p to 4k? Which rtings claims looks fine, its just 720p and 480.

My 4k cable box upscales everything to 4k anyway and has no source direct option.

Everything I own outputs 4k so its scaled directly on the device, except the nintendo switch. I did not think many devices had a source direct option.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@Murilo , no complaints about 1080 to 4k with my cable feed (FiOS, looks about the same as OTA); I suspect @Darious and @karelj are talking non-1080 cable, as that would be a 24x upscale from 480 to 4K :eek: (i.e., flaws for non-HD channels are magnified x24).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm curious have you tried the normal picture type? I know a common view of calibrated settings are they are warm and yellow

I'm going to try and remember to try this the next time I am watching something that appears washed out and yellow. It's usually stuff on HGTV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, the issue I have with that assessment - correct as it may be - is that the apps for HBO and Showtime are also in 1080p and it looks noticeably better than the cable feed for both channels.

I'm assuming that the cable feed has more compression than the apps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@Murilo , no complaints about 1080 to 4k with my cable feed (FiOS, looks about the same as OTA); I suspect @Darious and @karelj are talking non-1080 cable, as that would be a 24x upscale from 480 to 4K :eek: (i.e., flaws for non-HD channels are magnified x24).
No. I am referring to 1080 cable. Granted, the cable feeds here are 1080i. But that is still a 1080 feed. I suspect that Optimum/Cablevision's feeds are kinda crappy and the 4k tv is magnifying those issues.
I can't help but wonder if part of the cause is because I did not use one of the new, 4k certified Monoprice HDMI cables to connect the cable box to the receiver. I figured since it was just a 1080 feed with no HDR content, the HDMI cables I used with my previous tv - Panasonic Plasma - would be fine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I own the p65 and I'm not experiencing any of the problems some of you guys are having. It's not perfect, there are a few minor things that if I'm trying real hard I can point out. But overall for the sale price that I paid for this TV it's outstanding.

I started with a Samsung 8000 series, exchanged that for the Sony x900f and settled on this vizio. The Sony was probably the best with most Blu-ray's and 4k discs but not for $750 more than the vizio. I struggled with the x900 way more than the Samsung or the vizio. Streaming anything on Netflix or Amazon produced horrible blocky pixelation in any and all dark areas on the screen. The rest of the picture looked good but not black shadowy areas. I never see that on the vizio. It also had much worse blooming than the vizio. There is a small amount of it on the vizio that I see sometimes but not near as bad and blatent as the Sony.

It also took me much longer to get a good crisp, vibrant, sharp picture on the Sony. And when I finally did it always seemed very dark. Like the entire screen had a tinted filter on it. Except for one particular concert Blu-ray it didnt matter what I did I just couldn't get it to look vibrant and bright. The only way to get it to really pop was to enable the max setting for live color, but that caused extreme over saturation which was unwatchable to me. It also was at times very jittery with long sweeping shots. Which always struck me as odd because one of the most hyped features of Sony tv's is the motion processing. I just couldn't get that TV right. There was always something that bothered me especially for the amount of money I paid for it.

The p65 popped pretty much right out of the box. And after tweaking the settings it looks even better. Pretty much everything I throw at it looks great. Never looks dull, always a bright vibrant picture. I've never experienced that jittery motion like on the Sony. There are a few times here and there that I notice some flickering of the zones or a small amount of banding. But honestly that is pretty rare and I really have to be looking for it to notice. 98% of the time it's just a good, solid, impressive display. I don't think there is much better for the money. If you wanna spend another grand I'm sure there are much better displays. But there's nothing that touches the vizio p series for the money IMO.
Similar experience with the sony.

It looks for whatever reason dull and washed out compared to the P55 Vizio we had and we had to jack up live color or go to bt18 color but the reds and skins look so ugly.

Also worse blooming than X900F. I didn't really notice the crawling fald of the P55 though.

Netflix looked okay but streaming in youtube looks noticeably bad and it was wired connection even.

TV was much brighter though and SDR/1080p looked amazing. Cable was also better on the Sony.

Sony had sharper image due to being true RGB unlike the P55 Vizio (P65 has proper pixels).

Returned both still. Quite disappointed with both.

Sony had worse uniformity issue like a big dark smear in the middle of the screen with 1 nipple.

Still looking for a tv.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
No. I am referring to 1080 cable. Granted, the cable feeds here are 1080i. But that is still a 1080 feed. I suspect that Optimum/Cablevision's feeds are kinda crappy and the 4k tv is magnifying those issues.

I can't help but wonder if part of the cause is because I did not use one of the new, 4k certified Monoprice HDMI cables to connect the cable box to the receiver. I figured since it was just a 1080 feed with no HDR content, the HDMI cables I used with my previous tv - Panasonic Plasma - would be fine.

I don't think a cable will make a difference. HDMI is digital so you don't get analogue type issues like lack of saturation or color accuracy. They tend to me digital sparkles or cutting out.

1080i is not the same a 1080p it's 50% less image data and has to be deinterkaced which some TV's don't do well. Also some cable companies heavily compress their content to get as many channels as they can in although I think this is more an issue with satellite.

Chances are the apps are getting 1080p material possibly at higher quality than the cable company is sending you.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I also want to ask about the tv startup time, i see some complaints about it, and this video here looks crazy how long the tv takes to boot

But cant you enable quick start mode so the tv starts much quicker? My lower end vizio 2018 D series i have in the bedroom takes less time to boot in quick start mode and also resolved the issues i had with hdmi handshake with my cable dvr box, seemed to have trouble establishing an hdmi connection with eco on and sometimes defaulting to lower resolution or no picture, works perfect however with quick start on and the tv boots much quicker, i assume the p series has this as well?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I don't think a cable will make a difference. HDMI is digital so you don't get analogue type issues like lack of saturation or color accuracy. They tend to me digital sparkles or cutting out.

1080i is not the same a 1080p it's 50% less image data and has to be deinterkaced which some TV's don't do well. Also some cable companies heavily compress their content to get as many channels as they can in although I think this is more an issue with satellite.

Chances are the apps are getting 1080p material possibly at higher quality than the cable company is sending you.

Correct, compression per channel varies depending on your cable provider, and it sounds like you may have inadvertently exposed greater compression from your provider by literally putting them "under a microscope".

Also correct, the HDMI cable will not matter for 1080 and below, rather it will be a 4K signal that will be more demanding on the cable (Premium Certified is required in order to guarantee no issues with 4K, they will have the scannable, holographic certification sticker on the packaging; I use >>THESE

·
Registered
535 Posts
By design forums will almost always have people complaining more often than just singing praises. I actually like the P75-F1 a lot and I think most people do. The reviews also back it up. I watched some Planet Earth II yesterday in 4K and it looks stunning. Colors, definition and contrast were all excellent. Also watched the Departed (1080p) and it looked very good. Only here and there in very minor instances I noticed the local dimming working during the movie. My issue is more with quality control or damage during transit with maybe the Vizio's design being more prone to damage that causes pressure to the casing that maybe leads to uniformity / banding issues. If you have a good panel with little to no uniformity issues I think it is the best value TV you can get. Next real step up in quality is going to cost you almost $1k more (Sony 900F) for the 75" for example. I'm getting a replacement panel on Tuesday and if the banding is faint to none I will keep it and be very happy overall.
Agree, I am pretty happy with my P65 as well, especially for what I paid. I have some minor issues here and there, but nothing like what some have expressed. Not sure if its perception, build quality, etc, but count me as one that is happy with this set.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hate to break up the long string of complaining about how “garbage” this TV is, but can we talk about some picture settings?

More specifically, HDR. I’ve been doing a ton of testing and fiddling with settings. I think Vizio’s recommended backlight setting of 50 is not the way to go, at least for HDR10 content. It is stated that during HDR, the backlight is maximized by default, and raising it does nothing but raise the gamma curve, which washes out the image.

I think this does apply during Dolby Vision but HDR10 seems to act differently. For starters, I’m using a P55 F1. I’ve noticed that HDR10 looks pretty good but doesn’t “pop” anywhere near the level of Dolby Vision, as far as HDR highlights and general depth.

Taking a still image of a lantern in the middle of a dark room, I began going through all the settlings one by one, to try and maximize contrast. I have noticed that raising the backlight from 50 to 100 effectively doubles the brightness of the lantern. If the backlight was maximized at 50, theoretically the lantern should have stayed the same brightness, while the surrounding shadows became more gray due to the gamma curve being raised. This did not happen. Raising the backlight made the lantern pop twice as bright, while retaining the inky blacks in the surrounding image.

With this new setting of 100, it feels much more like what a 1,000 nit television should look like. Moving on to the local dimming options... I’ve gone back and forth between the medium and high settings during various scenes. It seems that sometimes medium scenes look brighter, but during some of the the scenes, the high setting seemed to make HDR highlights a bit brighter. After running the “white circle” local dimming test, I ended up settling on the medium setting, as it was able to keep the white circle the brightest as it moved across the screen, along with less flicker.

Another setting I discovered which was able to squeeze out a tad more brightness is the “black detail” setting. Switched from “off” to “medium”, I was able to make the lantern in a dark room shine just a bit brighter. This of course did make some of the dark areas of the screen a bit brighter as well, but overall I don’t feel like it ruined the overall contrast, and seemed like a net positive gain in image quality. This of course comes down to personal preference, but I like it set to medium.

If someone would like to test my settings on their display, I’d be genuinely curious to hear your results. I imagine the results could vary depending on what you use to view content. I avoid using the built in apps, since my TV has constant “you don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K” interruptions. I have gigabit internet mind you... So I view the majority of content using an Xbox One X, which I understand may treat HDR differently than say an Apple TV. Nonetheless, here are the settings I am finding most enjoyable during HDR10 playback.

Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 50
Color - 55
Sharpness - 10
Local Dimming - Medium
Black Detail - Medium
Reduce judder - 2
Reduce Motion blur - 2
Clear Action - Off
Film mode - On
Gamma - 2.2

...and I believe that’s it.

So far as I’ve been able to tell, viewing Dolby Vision content through the native Netflix and VUDU apps, the backlight control seems automated like it should be.

For all you gamers out there, if you’re on an Xbox One X, do yourself a favor and try the 120hz setting. With port 5 and a 120hz input, input lag is reduced to just 10ms. It feels incredible! The resolution is reduced to 1080p, however, it still looks quite nice and is definitely worth it for competitive games.

One interesting thing to note is that 120hz signal seems to work on ports 1-4 as well. According the the Rtings review, only port 5 supports 1080p/120hz. This is not true, as I had at working on port 2. I even went into the TV’s system settings and verified it was recieiving a 120hz signal. So in theory, you could play a game in 1080/120hz HDR on port 2.

Yes I realize that games do not actually play at 120hz on the Xbox, but you can certainly feel the reduced input lag of 10ms. It is nearly as smooth and snappy as my computer monitor, but on the big beautiful Vizio screen.

Anyway, I hope there are many of you enjoying your P Series as much as I am. Have a great day.
Appreciate the postive post! :) FYI, I was happy with my P65 but not really "impressed" with HDR10 or DV either via disc or streaming until I bumped the backlight to 100. I was under the impression initially that changing it from anything other than 50 would cause any HDR image to degrade, then I read on both CNET and RTINGS that changing from 50 to 100 caused the gamma curve to remain stable, tried it, and the rest is history. Set has the pop I wanted from both 1080P and 4k HDR content now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anyone tried local dimming on high? I just turned it on high last night to give it a try but didn’t really get much chance to check it out to see my differences between it and medium.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My set up is this: Xfinity X1 DVR -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1.
Is there a native resolution output for the DVR? If so, you can have the Denon do all the upscaling. Also, having the DVR send everything out at 1080 gives you a double scaling issue for all the 720p channels...

The Blu Ray player issues are probably cable related - turning off Full UHD Color lowers the bandwidth, so an imperfect cable may then work OK. Swap to Monoprice Certified Premium cables or the like. I believe you should also turn off i/p scaler on the Denon for that input.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!
Looks like you are connecting via wifi? If not and are hard wired, try wifi. I had all sorts or issues with smartcast while hard wired, changed to wifi and most issues were resolved. Also, finally threw in the towel on ARC with my yamaha sound bar, not sure if its the TV or soundbar but had all kinds of audio issues with the Netflix app in particular. Changed to optical and its been fine for 3 x days now.

1961 - 1980 of 3038 Posts