AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

577K views 3K replies 497 participants last post by  valerianf 
#1 · (Edited)
Product Pages:

p55f1
https://www.vizio.com/p55f1.html

p65f1
VIZIO Support

p75f1
https://www.vizio.com/p55f1.html

Reviews:
rtings.com Vizio P Series 2018 Review (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1)
cnet Yes the Vizio P-Series is an excellent TV. No, it's not the best value
toms guide Vizio P-Series 65-Inch P65-F1 Review: Best Vizio TV Yet

Calibration settings:

cnet p65-f1 Vizio P65-F1 picture settings and HDR notes - September 2018 - Forums
rtings Vizio P Series 2018 Calibration Settings

Finding your build week: My first set was 14.. the replacement is week 30
Sticker on TV 11th and 12th digits U=2018 30=Week 30
System Information in the TV menu First 2

Latest reported firmware: 6.0.109.4-3

Changelog:

7.0.23.2-4
No changelog is supplied

6.0.109.4-3
No changelog is supplied
Let me know if you find one

6.0.31.4-2
No changelog is supplied

No changelog is supplied

No changelog is supplied

4.0.20.3(November 2019)
Update check shows 3.0.8.2-2 is available but 3.0.8.2-1 gets installed

No changelog is supplied

3.0.8.2-1(August 2019)
Update check shows 3.0.8.2-2 is available but 3.0.8.2-1 gets installed

No changelog is supplied

2.1.7.1 (April 2019)

1. Upgraded the internal CAST version to V1.34.149937.

2. Display support for Dolby Vision Low Latency mode.

3. Added SCPL Version and AirPlay version to system menu.

4. Added support for USB continuous playback (looping selected videos).

5. Fixed an issue where the television may infrequently power ON without audio.

6. Fixed a bug in which Game Low Latency mode is turned on after certain HDMI devices that support Full Color 4:4:4 is connected.

7. Fixed an issue in which the television may become unresponsive during a firmware update.

8. Fixed an issue where sources playing 4K HDR content connected to HDMI 5 results in “no signalâ€Â.

9. Fixed an issue where video with DTS audio may not be identified when connected to HDMI 5.

10. Fixed an issue in which playback of video from USB flash drive may cause black screen.

11. Revolved an issue in which some Google Assistant devices were not able to send commands to VIZIO TV's.

Improvements for Amazon Alexa control

Updates:

Fixed the issue of visible video on the PQ65-F1 when the backlight is off and the TV is turned off (standby) for more than 30 minutes.

Fixed an issue for the PQ65-F1 where the screen will flash when changing picture mode.

Fixed an issue of the PQ65-F1 turning on to a black screen and rebooting.

Fixed a no audio issue when a DVD player is powered on and then the TV is powered on.

Fixed an issue for the E65-F1 and P65-F1 of the Color Space setting being grayed out for HDMI inputs.

“Xtreme Black Engineâ€Â is renamed to “Active Fully Arrayâ€Â.

Fixed an issue of a connected sound bar powering on when connected to HDMI without any user interaction.

Fixed the issue of picture contouring when Netflix is launched with remote hot key and Dolby Vision content is played.

Improved SDR and HDR performance on the P65-F1.

Resolved an issue where the television will flash once for 5 to 8 seconds after powered on with an HDMI or Component/Composite input signals.

Overall performance improvements.

Picture quality improvements for the PQ65-F1.

Peak brightness improvement for the PQ and P series televisions.

Fixed an audio abnormality with analog TV sources.

Fixed an issue of no audio with Component source and set Menu/channels/Parental controls as ON.

Fixed and issue where some P and PQ models would display a V logo, black screen and reboot.

Fixed an issue of severe picture contouring when launching Netflix using the remote hot key while in the Chromecast background.

Overall system improvements

1.Enhanced overall and peak brightness performance.
2. Improvements to the picture contrast in SDR and HDR.
3. Picture quality refinements to the default picture modes (i.e. Calibrated picture mode).
4. Support for 4K HDR streaming from Amazon Prime Video on 2018 M-, P-, P-Series Quantum TVs.
5. Overall system improvements

Vizio's site shows all F1 models have a single version:
VIZIO Support

If you notice any improvements between versions, I'll add that as well.

Reddit forum for Vizio Support
r/VIZIO_Official

Let me know if you have any information that may be useful in this first post and I'll add it here

See less See more
#2 ·
For anyone looking for the P75-F1, I got mine from Costco.
They still have them listed on their site.

#5 ·
Picked up a 55” a few weeks ago and am debating returning it. More often than not it will freeze and restart when I try to change inputs to use Amazon Fire TV.
Also curious to know what settings others are using because I haven’t found any I like too much yet.

#7 ·
I picked up a P55 last night after going through 3 different TCL R615’s with faulty panels. The Vizio P destroys the TCL in every aspect other than peak brightness.

So far so good for the most part. The uniformity is near perfect. Trying to stream VUDU my network would disconnect every 5 minutes or so. I have it connected via ethernet to a gigabit network. Never had issues with any TV before. After unhooking the Ethernet and using 5ghz I no longer had any disconnect issues.

Other than that, the only other issue is the auto-brightness setting will randomly toggle itself back on and I have to manually turn it off again. The picture is just stunning out of the box. I haven’t felt the urge to touch any settings yet other than black detail and local dimming. I did turn de-judder up to +2. UHD blu-rays are smooth as silk.

#8 ·
My P55 arrived this morning. I ended up with this set after my 3 year old Sony 850C 55" was replaced after being deemed unrepairable. My initial choice for a warranty replacement was an LG SK8000 65". But I was completely unimpressed with that one. So I exchanged it for the Vizio P55.

My initial impressions are extremely good. This set has an amazing picture. I threw some quick setting tweaks from rtings and tried out a few 4k discs. Planet Earth 2 and Martian were stunning. Wonder Woman and Valerian really popped. Even 1080i Dish source looked much better than I am used to. I'm probably going to download some other good HDR source material to see how it looks.

I know I have seen there are posts in the other 2018 Vizio thread from those who had problems. I didn't dig deep enough into that thread to see what the different issues were. Hoping I don't have any myself.

And I will add I'm seriously considering swapping this one for the 65". The week with the bigger LG kind of spoiled me. And as amazing as this picture is I can imagine the wow factor of it in a 65".

Tap'd from my 7+

#9 ·
I have had my P65 for about a month and a half now. After a week of playing around with settings I have to say that my viewing experience has been nothing short of fantastic. I have been very happy with Blu ray presentation and 4k Blu ray presentation. Not a single issue so far. I basically use it for Movies / Netflix / Amazon / YouTube.

Blacks are great yet not perfect but about as close as you can get with a non OLED. Colors are beautiful and vibrant.

Again no issues so far.

#1,474 ·
Thinking about buying this...but I heard the 75 inch has problems with bright overall screens (sky, snow, white background, etc.) I've read you can see the individual back lights. It causes the picture to look like a chess board with bright and dark lines running across the screen...

Are you having that problem???

#13 · (Edited)
Just picked up the P65-F1 as a replacement for the faulty E1 i had from Costco....

Now I'm hoping this isn't an issue but I think I'm cursed when it comes to new TV's. Below are the flat pattern tests. Look in the corners...seems they aren't working.....appears like a shadow in every corner.....SMH

Should i hold off taking it back?? Or is this real issue with the panel?

This could kill my relationship with Vizio.

Attachments

#15 ·
Should the backlight be left at 50 for HDR10, or bumped up to 100? I know Dolby Vision takes control of it and it should stay at 50, but when playing an HDR10 video, the default value is also 50. I can’t find basic settings on any review site. Rtings HDR settings don’t go into any detail and CNET didn’t post there’s like they did for other TV’s, at least I couldn’t find them.

#23 ·
I have found for HDR content you should use Calibrated for daytime / bright room conditions and Calibrated Dark for nighttime / dark room conditions. Leave the backlight at the default setting which I believe is 50 for both DV and HDR. This ensures you get the most accurate picture. Normal color temperature. Xtreme Black Engine should be set to Medium. I have Black Detail set to off and any noise reduction set to off along with Sharpness 0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Owner of a P65. I am very pleased with the display, primarily I use the TV as a computer monitor, maybe I just got lucky but there is very little DSE on my panel especially when compared to my TCL 55 P series from 2017.

For settings I would recommend backlight at 80 and black engine on low. (I found on medium I noticed strange artifacts and sometimes thought I saw the zones changing.)

I use computer color temperature with 58 color, everything else is default for computer settings

I found these to be the best settings for my use

#25 · (Edited)
For those of you interested in what Vizio recommends for the best picture quality here you go

2018 P-Series Calibration Tips

Please see attached and below for advanced 2018 P-Series picture quality settings explanations and calibration tips. The explanations assume an understanding of ISF type calibration, but if you have further questions, let us know.

Overall:

•Calibrated Dark: Use this picture mode for the most accurate reproduction of studio content when viewed in a dark room. Xtreme Black Engine should default to Medium for HDR and Low for SDR; Gamma is set to 2.2.

•Calibrated: Use this picture mode for an accurate but bright reproduction of studio content when viewed in a typically lit room. Xtreme Black Engine should be set to Medium for HDR and SDR; Gamma is set to 2.1.

•Game: Use this setting for the best gaming response. Game Low Latency and Clear Action are enabled. For consoles, change the Color Temp setting to Normal (close to D6500K). Use Input 5 for non-HDR, 1080p signals—like those from a PC--with up to 120Hz refresh. Set the Color Temp to “Computer”, which is roughly 9300K.

Setup:

1.Select the Appropriate Input –
a.For the 2018 P-Series, HDMI inputs 1-4 accommodate HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 (600MHz pixel clock rate).
i.2160p/60p, 4:4:4, 8-bit
ii.2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 12-bit
iii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 12-bit
b.HDMI 5 also accepts HDMI v1.4/HDCP2.2 signals (370MHz pixel clock rate). This will accept the following:
i.2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 8-bit
ii.2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 10-bit
iii.1080p/120p, 4:4:4, 10-bit
iv.1080p/120p, 4:2:2, 12-bit

c.Input 5 will likely offer the lowest lag time for gaming, but also has no scaling or HDR function and should only be used with progressive or 4K signals.

d.Input 1 offers HDMI ARC.

2.Enable HDMI 2.0 signals for the HDR input, when needed (ie for newer UHD players and 4K/60 signals)

a.Go to the Menu>Settings>Inputs>Full UHD Color,
b.Enable the Full UHD Color for the input that you are using to support HDMI 2.0.
i.If you change the setting after your devices are connected, you may need to power cycle the source device to restart the HDMI handshake.
ii.When Full UHD Color is enabled, the input may no longer accept the HDMI signal from older HDMI devices (like your STB or BD player).
iii.Some players (Samsung and Oppo) playing most content (any 4K/24 movie) may not need the 2.0 input and may play fine through v1.4 inputs even without the Full UHD Color setting enabled.
iv.“Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” is 4k/60 and will require the HDMI 2.0 setting/input.
v. Xbox and Philips UHD players require the HDMI 2.0 setting/input, regardless of the content played, as do some 4K-capable streaming sticks and boxes.

3.Set the Picture Mode.
a.Go to the Menu, select Picture, then choose Picture Mode:
i.Vivid – preset for store showrooms
ii.Standard – For energy-efficient home viewing
iii.Calibrated – Settings are preset to be accurate for brighter room environments(gamma is set to 2.1)
iv.Calibrated Dark – More accurately calibrated settings for a dark room (gamma is set to 2.2).
v.Game Mode – optimizes settings for minimal input lag
vi.Computer Mode – Adjusts settings for PC images
b.Any picture mode can be adjusted to provide an accurate image.
c.The TV will auto-detect if the signal is SDR or HDR and will switch the Picture Mode to the corresponding HDR settings, when needed.
i.With SDR signals: Both Calibrated and Calibrated Dark Picture Modes match closest to the Rec709 color gamut and a D65 white point. “Calibrated” default gamma is closer to 2.1, where “Calibrated Dark” gamma is closer to “2.2”.
ii. With HDR signals: The Calibrated and Calibrated Dark Picture Mode settings match closest to the most accurate, or “Golden Reference” HDR characteristics for the displays, which means it will match as close as possible to the SMPTE 2084 EOTF (or “PQ”) curve, and will offer as much of the Rec2020 color space as the display, and content, can accommodate.
d.Changes made to any Picture Mode will create a Custom Picture mode (the picture mode will have an *asterisk next to the name). Go to Picture Mode Edit to save the settings as a custom picture mode with a custom name.

4.Adjust Picture Menu settings (Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness) to match your source and environment.
a.Backlight – For HDR signals, the accurate OSD “Backlight” setting is 50. When an HDR signal is recognized by the display, the display luminance (backlight) is maximized, but the on-screen display setting says 50. With HDR signals, changes to the “Backlight” control adjust the middle of the EOTF curve, making the image appear brighter. For SDR, this setting increases the backlight luminance.
b.Setting Sharpness to 0 will disable edge-enhancement.

5.Select “More Picture” for additional settings (the following are not necessarily in order):
a.Color Temperature – Changes the overall color temp. “Normal” is closest to the accurate D6500K setting. “Cool” is closer to the panel’s native color, which leans blue (closer to 11000-15000K), but will provide the brightest measurement.
b.Black Detail – Changes the gamma curve near black to increase shadow detail. It has no effect in HDR.
c.Xtreme Black Engine – Select the low, medium or high setting to enable local dimming and peak brightness. Medium and High settings offer better contrast with increased peak brightness in specular highlights. Lower the setting to eliminate halo or blooming effects. When calibrating, it is best to keep this disabled, or use test patterns with Constant Average Picture Levels. When measuring for Peak Brightness with small windows, we recommend the High setting. For regular viewing, we recommend the Medium setting.
i.Off – Local dimming and Peak Brightness are turned off.
ii.Low – Activates local dimming, no peak highlight brightness; peak highlights typically dim as the APL decreases so as to minimize blooming.
iii.Med – Activates both local dimming and peak highlighting (brighter specular highlights) while still preserving black levels and preventing most halos. Highlights measure brightest with 10-25% sized windows on a black background. This is the setting VIZIO recommends for both HDR and SDR content.
iv.High – Activates aggressive local dimming and peak brightness settings for the highest contrast possible. Very small highlights are brightest with 2-10% sized windows on a black background. Note that if you measure even smaller windows, you may not reach the TV’s peak brightness value.
d.Clear Action – This setting changes the duty cycle of the backlight to mask the inherent “sample and hold” effect (and visible crystal change) of liquid crystal display panels, thus allowing the user to see and follow motion in the image more clearly.
e.Game Low Latency – Select this setting to reduce image lag for video games. Note: lower lag is available in the HDMI 5 input (on
UHD models).
f.Reduce Judder (P-Series and higher) – The setting of this function determines how much MEMC is applied to 24 and 30 fps content. Increasing this setting will reduce the stuttering that is inherent when we view 24 fps content on TV, making the content smooth and more detailed. Set this function to 0 to eliminate the smoothing effect.
i.Eliminate 3-2 – When the “Reduce Judder” function is set to 0, and “Cinema Mode” is on, the film mode detection will match the refresh rate of the panel at a multiple of the 24-fps content so that there is no 3-2 frame conversion, thus giving the viewer a true, film-like appearance.
g.Reduce Motion Blur (where available) – The setting of this function determines how much MEMC is applied to 60 fps content. Increasing the setting reduces the visibility of motion blur.
h.Color Space -- Select YCbCr for normal consumer HDMI sources (16-235). Select RGB for PC sources (0-255).
i.Gamma – Adjust the value to increase or decrease the gamma curve to the desired measured value. The 2.2 setting is typically the most accurate for dark rooms with either SDR or HDR.
j.Cinema Mode/Film Mode – Creates the most film-like image.
i.With interlaced content, Film Mode enables 3-2 detection and compensation.
ii. With 24p content, the display will play back at an even multiple of 24 frames to preserve the film cadence.

6.For professional calibrators, select “Color Calibration” to fine-tune the picture when using calibration equipment.
a.Tips
i.Best to adjust the SDR signal first, then Dolby Vision and HDR10.
ii. Significant adjustments to the HDR10 CMS signal are not recommended as the display will tone/color map the incoming signal
while it’s being adjusted. Dolby Vision compensates for this with their Golden Reference target point.
iii. Adjust White Balance first; starting with a baseline “white” should reduce the amount of CMS fine-tuning that is needed.
b.2-point White Balance calibration – In the Color Tuner menu.
i.Use the Offset and Gain controls to adjust the overall Color Temp at low (~20-30%) and high (~80%) levels.
1.Use the Offset controls sparingly.
2.Try not to raise the Offset more than a couple points, if at all, or it will raise the black level.
ii. Adjust the three RGB levels for Offset and Gain equally to change the Gamma curve.
1.For example, to lower the gamma, raise the red, green and blue Gain values, or vice versa.
2.As above, use the Offset controls as little as possible; don’t raise them.
c.11-point White Balance calibration – From the top of the “Color Calibration” menu, cycle the menu from “Color Tuner” to “11-point
White Balance”.
i.Adjust the RGB values separately to fine-tune the Color Temp.
ii.Adjust the RGB values together to fine-tune the Gamma curve (i.e. increase all of them the same amount to decrease the gamma curve at that specific point).
d.Color Tuner – Use the Hue, Saturation and Brightness controls to fine-tune the color gamut. View and compare the results from different saturation levels to achieve the best balance.

#29 ·
For SDR content Vizio does recommend Xtreme Black Engine Pro set to low in Calibrated Dark picture mode. I have been thinking of switching to 2.4 Gamma since my room is completely dark at night except for my bias lighting

Reactions: leojj25
#30 ·
One thing that isn't obviously clear with this TV for those of us who are slower than average is that the TV automagically detects SDR / HDR content.

What this means is even though you have selected Calibrated mode, if you play SDR content your default backlight will be 85. When you play HDR content (ie. HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG) the backlight defaults to 50 in the same picture mode. If you make changes to Calibrated picture mode in HDR it doesn't seem to carry over to SDR so you have to keep adjusting your picture modes in SDR and HDR until you have covered the different dynamic ranges and made the desired changes.

Personally I use a combination of the Vizio recommendations with the Rtings recommendations. I leave all Noise reduction off, I also have sharpness set to 0. I leave all motion enhancement off. The only thing I have on is Clear Action On as I'm apparently really used to my Plasma so I don't even notice any flicker. Others reported being sensitive to the flicker introduced by BFI and preferred Judder reduction set to 1 and motion blur set to 1. I find the soap opera effect those two introduce to be very distracting. I prefer Clear Action and especially for sports it makes the motion look like my Plasma which I love. Tracking the ball in the world cup across the screen was wonderful.

Keep in mind these are all just recommendations and until we don't get some professional calibrators to provide us with guidance I tend to believe Vizio probably knows the most accurate picture settings for their TV.

I have a P65-F1 and have had it for over a month and I absolutely love it. I feel I got the best TV for the money. My only regret is not going for the P75-F1 although in the other thread there seems to be a lot of reports of issues with the P75-F1 as far as the FALD zones being visible

Reactions: Brink Bodin
#31 · (Edited)
Last night my TV started showing random horizontal lines across the screen. They were about 1/3 of the screen each time. The lines would flash for a split second and go away. Lines would appear somewhere else on the screen and go away. I thought it was possibly cable related - from the AVR or the Nvidia Shield, so I watched some Netflix from the integrated apps to rule it out. The lines still appeared so I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in.

Fortunately the lines went away. Has anyone else had this happen on theirs?

#32 ·
Did you factory reset your TV after you installed the latest firmware? In the other thread Noydcom recommended to everyone to update to latest firmware and factory reset before using the TV. I experienced some HDMI issues after updating my firmware, my TV was freezing up at times. I did a factory reset and it has been great since

#36 ·
I have had my P65-F1 from BB for about 5 weeks now and I had some issues the first week or so, but most of them I was able to work out especially after the firmware update. There seemed to be a break in period. There are minor things that pop up but nothing I have not been able to rectify. For the price point I am satisfied with this TV. I am coming from a 55" 2012 Panasonic Plasma which I was very happy with. There is some darkness in the corners and the remote and ecosystem are not the best. The onboard Youtube had some major issues at first. You need to have really good HDMI cables, these inputs are finicky. I feel I would need to spend about $1k more to find a better TV.

I really enjoy the 4k experience. The 1080P upscale is also great, anything below that is fair. Nice to see the Dolby vision support and most of my core apps are covered, but I think there is room to add many more. This should be a priority for them.

I use the Tv less than two hours a day, so my impression is not from a power user. I do not have a gaming system or use my Tv for a PC. All of my viewing has come from DTV, 4k and bluray DVDs and the onboard apps.

MY biggest concern is how this will handle Football and Basketball live sports. The Plasma handles those well but my experience with LCD's in the past has not been great. I watched a little World Cup on this and it was fine, but I feel NFL is a whole other beast.

I still occasionally play with the picture settings but mostly are the stock or Noyd's settings. I am very susceptible to soap opera effect and made the adjustments to reduce that but feel you just need to get used to it on an LCD.

At this point I give the TV a thumbs up.

I have 3 year warranty as of now and plan to buy the Costco squaretrade in the next week or so if things go smooth.

#37 ·
I'm also susceptible to soap opera. I watched a few replays of NFL games and it looks great on my P65-F1. I have Clear Action On and Motion Blur and Judder Reduction on 0. What do you use for motion settings? I also have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma and I love watching sports on it because it is so smooth. World Cup actually looked a little better on my Plasma but I thought the P65 did an awesome job considering it was displaying 1080i content and is much larger than my 50 inch Plasma. Motion looks very similar to Plasma with Clear Action On and the other two set to Off

#42 ·
Hey all..new to forum but finally upgraded from a older Panasonic 720p plasma tv (great tv).

I do like the vizio, picked up the p55-f1 from BB. Picked it up 7/26 and already have a blurred horizontal line at the bottom of the tv.

Called support they are sending a tech to fix, so we will see what happens. Has anyone came across this issue?

Attachments

#46 ·
I just bought the P65-F1; love it so far. I'm just curious for anybody who has wall mounted the TV, what size screws did you use? According to the manual, it says 14 mm M6 screws. These are very short screws. I'm wondering if anybody used anything longer. If you stick a toothpick in the hole, it's much deeper than 14 mm. I know you can't go too long because you could damage the TV.

#47 ·
Got a call back from vizio. They originally said they would send a tech to fix. Now they are refunding me the tv and I will have to start looking for a new one. Possibly the sony x900e not sure yet.

The warranty guy was a bit confused why I would have to be refunded just kind of guessed that maybe they are out of stock. Thats kinda odd to me.

#49 ·
Got a call back from vizio. They originally said they would send a tech to fix. Now they are refunding me the tv and I will have to start looking for a new one. Possibly the sony x900e not sure yet.

The warranty guy was a bit confused why I would have to be refunded just kind of guessed that maybe they are out of stock. Thats kinda odd to me.

Weird, they didn't even offer to do a swap? What's going on with these sets?

#51 ·
No offer for swap, I even asked about waiting till they have more in stock. Was told it would be best to go with refund for now. I may purchase another at bestbuy. This tv has the lowest input lag and better picture quality I am looking for with a nice price tag.

Ill give it another try. Think this time if it acts up ill wait longer to turn in for warranty. The problem isn't bad just disappointing.

#52 · (Edited)
Reviewed.com and CNET both measured the P series to be brighter than the TCL R617. Rtings, however, measured the TCL as significantly brighter. I wonder what’s going on here? The discrepancy is quite large.

-P Series-
TVReviews - 949.3 nits
CNET - 1101 nits
Rtings - 852 nits

-TCL-
TV Reviews - 600 nits
CNET - 824 nits
Rtings - 1173 nits