AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new toy today and thought I'd share my thoughts on it and start an official thread for those who will undoubtedly be looking for more information on this set.

Who is this set for?
  1. the average consumer looking for a bargain
  2. someone who knows what they are looking for but on a budget
  3. a somewhat picky person might be pleasantly surprised
  4. as always with Vizio the best bang for your buck

While vizio isn't the best of the best, I find their products to give many TV's a run for their money, while saving you money. This is my second Vizio and Im rather happy, while i know some very discerning people here wouldn't be happy, what you think is what counts.

Note: the color and clarity is not accurate in this picture

So the big deal with this set is:
  • 1080P Plasma for less than $1500
  • 30,000 : 1 contrast ratio
  • Silicon Optix Reon processing
  • HQV (Hollywood Quality Video) chip
  • four HDMI 1.3 inputs.
  • Independent RGB adjustments allow users to fine-tune the sets’ color
  • true four-field motion adaptive de-interlace
  • 0-bit diagonal interpolator which removes jagged or stair step artifacts from de-interlaced video sources
  • 10-bit processing which output 4:4:4 color processing which renders more than one billion colors

Now a lil disclaimer, I’m not the most discerning of people on this forum, so bear that in mind.

So out of the box, how does this do?

Pretty good overall, with a few exceptions. Of course you’ll need to tweak the settings to get it to your preferences and color accuracy, but this set makes it easy. Overall, if I were to be really picky, I might say it is a tinge soft, but not overly so. Standard deff, isn’t the greatest, but HD content looks superb. Playing Halo 3 off my xbox 360 was amazing! I am still trying to get a feel for how it does on blacks, but so far nothing of note.

I have read some people have had some weird bars that went away after breaking it in, I haven’t run into this

One gripe I do have is the reciver for the remote is where I usually stick my speakers, which blocked the signal. But that’s just my nit picky thing. Oh and this thing is heavy!!! 97lbs. This is my biggest set I’ve owned today and maybe they are all like this, but I don’t dare lift it all by myself and mounting on a wall would be a nightmare (pay someone to do it for you).

The remote, very nice, backlit, and slick looking. Sometimes I feel like it might be a tad slow on the reaction time, but nothing too bad.

The side panel has your key buttons and 2 HDMI 1.3 ports, I would have liked to see a component input there and what’s worse, there is room for it too.

I would post a pic of the back ports but like I said, this thing is frigging heavy, so maybe later lol! But two more HDMI and computer hook up. As well as everything else you’d expect.

the specs (from Vizio Website):

Specification

Size: 50-in*

*Viewable: 49.96-in

Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner

Supported TV Formats

1080p

Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Supported PC Resolutions

1920 x 1080, 1366 x 768, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600

Specification

Panel Type: 50" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Plasma Panel

Panel Specifications: Anti-Static and hard coated surface

Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.576mm (H) x 0.576mm (V)

Display Compatibility: FULL HDTV (1080P)

Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV), 1080P (Full HD)

Response Time:

Colors: 1.07 Billion

Brightness: 1,000 cd/m2 (typical)

Contrast Ratio: 30,000:1 (typ)

Viewable Angle: 178° (horizontal and vertical)

Inputs

RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1

HDMI with HDCP: 4

Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1

Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 1

Composite Video: 1

S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1

Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1

Service Port: 1

Outputs

Analog Audio out (RCA): 1

5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1

Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 0

Additional Information

Picture-in-Picture (PIP)

Picture-outside-Picture (POP)

Closed Caption (CC)

V-Chip

3D Comb Filter

Zoom

Freeze

3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down

ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation

ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding

NTSC Video decoding via RF: Yes, thru Antenna, Cable, or Satellite

NTSC Video decoding via Video: Yes, thru CVBS, S-Video, or Component

Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI

HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr

Computer: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1360x768 via VGA/HDMI

Sound enhancement: Yes

Color Temperature: 6500K (standard), 5400K and 9300K

Color Fine Tuning: Independent Red, Green and Blue

Audio: Built-in 10W x 2

Lamp (LCD) / Panel (PDP) Life: 60000 hours

Power: IEC Connector for direct power line connection

Voltage Range120Vac at 50/60 Hz

Power Consumption: 540W average

Removable Base

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfedders /forum/post/14230781

The 504 does NOT have the Silicon Optix Reon processing chip. Check the other Vizio thread. The 505 has it.

Not so unless I'm missing something...straight from Vizio's 2008 Lineup thread,

"the 50" VIZIO VP504F packs an enhanced punch with integrated Silicon

Optix's REON HQV chip, ensuring the sharpest and most detailed image possible. Silicon Optix HQV's

advanced noise reduction removes noise and artifacts caused by signal compression from cable and

satellite providers. Since the HQV's REON chip can process two full channels of HD or SD channels,

this allows users to achieve full resolution with picture-in-picture images."

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bob /forum/post/14236723

Optix's REON HQV chip, ensuring the sharpest and most detailed image possible. Silicon Optix HQV's

advanced noise reduction removes noise and artifacts caused by signal compression from cable and

satellite providers. Since the HQV's REON chip can process two full channels of HD or SD channels,

The thread is wrong -- the 504 doesn't have HQV. Only the (so far unreleased) 505 does.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bob /forum/post/14236723

Either the thread is wrong or Vizio renamed it.

From HQV website (hqv.com)
Quote:
Vizio's upcoming premium line of plasma HDTVs will feature HQV video processing.

Due to greater light output, these 1080P Plasma HDTVs, boast a high contrast ratio of 30,000:1. It also takes deep color avail through the HDMI 1.3 connection (4 HDMI inputs) and processes it at 10 bits.

The 50- and 60-inch models will be available in June 2008, with an estimated MSRP of $1699 and $2899, respectively.

VP605F 60-inch and VP505F 50-inch 1080p Plasma TVs

·
Registered
11 Posts
do what you want with these first three post. i feel it is worth a couple worthless posts for me to be able publish the information i have

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok so i too have been interested in this TV. after reading several conflicting reports about the HQV Silicon Optix Reon Processor being included in this model, i ended up more confused.

there are a few websites i found that said the VP504F did include the HQV Silicon Optix Reon Processor.

cnet video review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Vizio_VP504F...7-6826752.html

HDTV lounge:
http://www.hdtvlounge.net/vizio/vp504f-vp605f/

both the video and the article are dated early January, and both say the VP504F does include the HQV Silicon Optix Reon Processor. However, when i called Vizio i was told the VP504F did not include the HQV Silicon Optix Reon Processor. only the models to be released later in the year will include these processors.

I also sent an email and left a voice mail with Vizio inquiring about the HQV Silicon Optix Reon Processor in the VP504F. When (if) i hear back from Vizio, i will update this post.

sorry again for those first three posts. i felt this needed to be shared with others in the community

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
it was originally planned to go in the 504 but changed plans to put it in the 505 which is due out by the end of July early August.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This thread sucks and should be deleted. A person with 2 !! posts puts up false information about a tv he has had for a day and he can't even admit the REON is not included.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought this model a few days ago from Sam's and nowhere in the manual does it mention the Reon chip. Other than that, I love this beautiful set and I was very impressed with it since day one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the VP504 purchased it more than a month ago from costco. I'm very satisfied with this TV and no It does not have the new chip. The 505 will have the new chip along with the panasonic anti-glare glass!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeadooRider /forum/post/14386497

How bad is the glare on the 504?

I have one. Glare isn't bad at all. I live in a loft with tons of windows (behind the TV) and white walls. Happily watched Planet Earth Blu-Ray with my friends during the day without adjusting the display from my night-time settings.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts