AVS Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 2817 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Anyone run into a black screen on startup? I just got a x1g4, start it up, and it goes through its Welcome and "connecting to your entertainment somethingorother" with three pulsing dots, then just goes to a 720p solid black screen and is unresponsive. The first time I plugged it in it asked me for my language, but reboots since then haven't.

I kind of assume I just got a broken box and need to swap it out for a new one, but if anyone's seen it before I'd love to not make another trip to the Comcast store (this would be my third, the first time they gave me the non-4k X1 box without asking because apparently Comcast can't pass up an opportunity to be customer-hostile)...

I've tried multiple cables and multiple inputs to my TV, all of which have run 4K content fine before. And it's not like it's losing sync or something, it's a totally stable, totally black screen.

Is there any kind of factory reset I could try? I couldn't find anything to stick a paperclip into. :D

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,386 Posts
Did you let it work for 10 minutes? The technician who installed the XG1v4 when the first X1 DVR I had wouldn't stay running told me that some X1 boxes in the past would take up to 10 minutes to finish the install process.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Did you let it work for 10 minutes? The technician who installed the XG1v4 when the first X1 DVR I had wouldn't stay running told me that some X1 boxes in the past would take up to 10 minutes to finish the install process.

Yep, I've left it for ~30 minutes, just stuck on a black screen. My guess is that it's a bad box that's just crashing on startup, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to make yet another trip to the xfinity store.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yep, I've left it for ~30 minutes, just stuck on a black screen. My guess is that it's a bad box that's just crashing on startup, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to make yet another trip to the xfinity store.

Ended up just being a bad box, new one works fine.

Boy, this channel guide UI is _terrible_ though -- why is the font so big? Why are they showing only 5 channels at once? Why is every show name truncated? I have a 65" 4K TV and this thing looks like a cartoon.

e: Haha, now I'm getting a giant "we're having trouble connecting to the internet" popup in the middle of my screen, all while my internet is 100% okay and it's literally streaming 4K video over the internet to my TV.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have the XG1v4 box and although it has a slightly better video quality than the other two companion boxes and it "may" be slightly (every so slightly) faster at pulling the menus up. I actually don't think its necessary at all.

I've got all three of my Comcast cable boxes hooked up to 4K tv's (Sony 75" 900F, 50" Sony 900E, and Sony 65" 850E) and there's no reason to have the 4k box for me because:

1) Comcast has no 4k material. All of the material I can get from the comcast boxes I get from my Sony tv smart tv features, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc)

2) I'd say the picture quality is a little better on the v4 box because I can see a difference on the 75" tv. The other ones I cannot.

3) I set my cable boxes up in the setup menu at 720p and let the Sony TV's do the upscaling since they are going to do a better job than the comcast boxes. Even the small companion boxes I set at 720p because I read Comcast converts everything to 720p before it even gets to you at the house.
I am still on the fence on what resolution to use on the X1. I originally had it set to 1080I and than someone on this forum said that it should be set to 720P because the X1 converts everything to 720P before sending it to the TV. I have the Sony A9G Oled and it does a great job when it comes to upscaling so my initial thought was I should set it to 720P or 1080I and this way the TV is doing the up-scaling. If I was to choose the highest resolution the X1 offers (2160, 4K) is the X1 DVR is doing upscaling? Honestly when I have the X1 set to 2160 it looks just as good to my eyes or maybe better so lately I have been using that. The one problem with that is that in my A9G TV settings menu under under Display and Sound settings the Screen page adjustments are all grayed out. Can anybody who has the Sony A9G TV confirm this and explain why that is the case?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am still on the fence on what resolution to use on the X1. I originally had it set to 1080I and than someone on this forum said that it should be set to 720P because the X1 converts everything to 720P before sending it to the TV. I have the Sony A9G Oled and it does a great job when it comes to upscaling so my initial thought was I should set it to 720P or 1080I and this way the TV is doing the up-scaling. If I was to choose the highest resolution the X1 offers (2160, 4K) is the X1 DVR is doing upscaling? Honestly when I have the X1 set to 2160 it looks just as good to my eyes or maybe better so lately I have been using that. The one problem with that is that in my A9G TV settings menu under under Display and Sound settings the Screen page adjustments are all grayed out. Can anybody who has the Sony A9G TV confirm this and explain why that is the case?

I don’t have a Sony but a LG c7 and c8 and use 2160p but one thing I’ve found that cleared up any softening was turning off deep color then when I watched HDR content on the X1 the set would automatically set deep color on for that signal. But I was pleasantly surprised that turning DC off made such a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
X1 audio not playing on surround speakers only tv internals

Hey guys,

I've gone crazy trying to fix this and need help. I've posted in the official thread for my receiver but now think this may be another issue with either my LG panel or Comcast itself.

Here's my setup (which by the way worked fine with frontier before I switched to Comcast 2 weeks ago).

Pioneer sc1522k receiver
Comcast box with HDMI out to HDMI 2 input on my receiver (this is the sat/cbl input)
Receiver has one HDMI out going to my tv
LG e8 tv - HDMI is going into the HDMI input (ARC input)

Comcast signal, both audio and video, play fine on my TV when the receiver is off (this input is setup as the passthru input on my receiver). And yes I don't use the receiver ALL the time. This is the main living room so I like using internal tv speakers for the kids etc. Receiver works fine when I use LG internal apps like Netflix or Disney + audio passes fine from the LG ARC input to the receiver.

It's only no Comcast audio when the receivers turned on (not just passing the signal through) but the video comes through fine.

I've tried resetting and redoing my Comcast remote programing a million times with them to no avail.

I really shouldn't have to remove the tv from my wall to install a new HDMI and/or an optical to solve this. It all worked fine with frontier 2 weeks ago and now it's not

Help please!!!!!

·
Registered
20,814 Posts
Check audio/HDMI settings in the Comcast STB.

Reactions: markrubin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check audio/HDMI settings in the Comcast STB.
Tried every setting possible nothing in Comcast settings seems to fix the problem.

First question to users here I guess is am I setting things up wrong somehow? Do other users here have Comcast set up through a receiver and you can get Comcast audio playing back through the receiver?

Is it possible because my receiver is older it's simply not compatible? It's ten years old now. Can handle 4k passthru it says but not sure about it's 4k capabilities in general. But even without 4k the audio should still work with the settings I have I think.

Next stop is calling pioneer and see if I setup the receiver wrong or possibly do a factory reset on the receiver.

·
Super Moderator
17,799 Posts
I have an LG connected to a nearly decade-old Yahama. The LG replaced a Samsung that 'talked' to the Yahama flawlessly. The LG's a bit wonky in that regard and I often find picture-but-no-audio when using my TiVo Bolt. For me, the solution is to change the Yamaha's input to HDMI 2 (Chromecast), then change it back to HDMI 1(TiVo). Boom. Audio returns.

·
Registered
20,814 Posts
Perhaps if you provide the make/model # of the Comcast STB, someone could shed some wisdom.
I'm pretty confident that others use a Comcast STB connected to a AVR. ;)
I'd also consider calling Comcast support and explain that everything was working before the new installation. Perhaps they could help.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Latest Firmware Update

I don't know if it's my imagination but Comcast just did a firmware update on my X1 DVR and it seems more stable and the picture looks better. Has that happened after an update with Comcast in the past?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the audio settings on the tv. Make sure they are not set to the tv speakers.

I've tried every internal tv setting and it doesn't fix the problem.

The Comcast box is an xg1a unit.

I've tried swapping the HDMI input on the TV from the ARC input (HDMI 2) to two alternative inputs and that doesn't fix the problem either

I should not have to run a new HDMI to fix this. The Comcast box should work with HDMI going to receiver and HDMI from receiver to tv.

Keep the ideas coming please!!!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I don't know if it's my imagination but Comcast just did a firmware update on my X1 DVR and it seems more stable and the picture looks better. Has that happened after an update with Comcast in the past?
From time to time a miracle happens ;-) I'm going to jinx it but my box has been super stable lately other than it going comatose for a few seconds or min. late at night. I think they are messing with the system at times. It's been ages since I have had to reboot it.

A while back I noticed that the PQ is much improved. Not so much blown out reds etc. And starting a week or so ago many programs and channels seem sharper. Not sure if this is improved code or starting to broadcast higher quality resolution? New content on Peacock is pretty amazing and in DD+/Atmos. However the audio lipsync is way off for me (just with Peacock). Also when viewing Peacock my box will sometimes go into what I call "hickup mode". Frames jump and skip and everything looks old school stop motion. Happens sometimes with regular content also but not for a long time other than Peacock. Only way to clear it is to reboot the box or I have found if I switch to another input on my 4K switch then back it causes a HDMI resync and it clears up. PQ and SQ on older content like Battlestar Galactica is really bad. Not sure what the issue is there. Audio is tolerable but for me the resolution looks like bad SD almost VHS quality. I watched a few episodes of Parenthood the other night and it was super good PQ and AQ and I think I was getting DD+ audio. Super inconsistent experience. Audio cranked way higher than other stuff on the box (but the is common with Amazon and Netflix also). Serious interface and navigation issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From time to time a miracle happens ;-) I'm going to jinx it but my box has been super stable lately other than it going comatose for a few seconds or min. late at night. I think they are messing with the system at times. It's been ages since I have had to reboot it.

A while back I noticed that the PQ is much improved. Not so much blown out reds etc. And starting a week or so ago many programs and channels seem sharper. Not sure if this is improved code or starting to broadcast higher quality resolution? New content on Peacock is pretty amazing and in DD+/Atmos. However the audio lipsync is way off for me (just with Peacock). Also when viewing Peacock my box will sometimes go into what I call "hickup mode". Frames jump and skip and everything looks old school stop motion. Happens sometimes with regular content also but not for a long time other than Peacock. Only way to clear it is to reboot the box or I have found if I switch to another input on my 4K switch then back it causes a HDMI resync and it clears up. PQ and SQ on older content like Battlestar Galactica is really bad. Not sure what the issue is there. Audio is tolerable but for me the resolution looks like bad SD almost VHS quality. I watched a few episodes of Parenthood the other night and it was super good PQ and AQ and I think I was getting DD+ audio. Super inconsistent experience. Audio cranked way higher than other stuff on the box (but the is common with Amazon and Netflix also). Serious interface and navigation issues.
Have you actually seen Atmos from peacock? Which titles? Your 100% right about the quality being hit or miss and the audio being real loud. I'm probably the most pumped about all the hitchcock movies on peacock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Have you actually seen Atmos from peacock? Which titles? Your 100% right about the quality being hit or miss and the audio being real loud. I'm probably the most pumped about all the hitchcock movies on peacock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Unsure as I don't have an Atmos setup but usually when I start seeing a streaming service where DD+ lights up on my AVR it means it is a possibility. I haven't watched any movies there, yet other than quick samples. It is cool to get a little bit better possible AQ than old school 2-channel or DD5.1.

And yes cool about the Hitichcock titles. I watched a majority of his content with my son years ago. Probably time to revisit and watch the movies I could not find.

·
Super Moderator
17,799 Posts
I've tried every internal tv setting and it doesn't fix the problem.

The Comcast box is an xg1a unit.

I've tried swapping the HDMI input on the TV from the ARC input (HDMI 2) to two alternative inputs and that doesn't fix the problem either

I should not have to run a new HDMI to fix this. The Comcast box should work with HDMI going to receiver and HDMI from receiver to tv.

Keep the ideas coming please!!!
Merging this into the existing X1 thread..

Doc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you for merging into this thread.

I'm really stuck here. I'll explain everything I can again for this group...

Previous setup two weeks ago (had frontier - formerly att uverse)
Pioneer sc1522k receiver
Frontier cable box HDMI out into HDMI 2 port of the receiver
One main HDMI out from receiver to the ARC port of tv

I dont like using surround sound every day. So I have my receiver set to pass the data through from the HDMI 2 port to the tv. So the receiver is off or in standby mode and the picture and audio easily flows from frontiers box to my LG e8 panel
If I want surround sound i put it on and get sound from whatever source I select including HDMI 2 (frontier). Turn receiver off sound goes back to tv internals

Get Comcast. Only swap I make is the frontier box for Comcast and a new power cord obviously. Sound and video transfers no problem.

Then receiver on and I GET video. But do NOT get sound from surround speakers. Second I put receiver into standby sound instantly comes back on tv internal speakers.

I've tried different cables and different inputs. Comcast customer service was useless.

Hoping you all can help me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Thank you for merging into this thread.

I'm really stuck here. I'll explain everything I can again for this group...

Previous setup two weeks ago (had frontier - formerly att uverse)
Pioneer sc1522k receiver
Frontier cable box HDMI out into HDMI 2 port of the receiver
One main HDMI out from receiver to the ARC port of tv

I dont like using surround sound every day. So I have my receiver set to pass the data through from the HDMI 2 port to the tv. So the receiver is off or in standby mode and the picture and audio easily flows from frontiers box to my LG e8 panel
If I want surround sound i put it on and get sound from whatever source I select including HDMI 2 (frontier). Turn receiver off sound goes back to tv internals

Get Comcast. Only swap I make is the frontier box for Comcast and a new power cord obviously. Sound and video transfers no problem.

Then receiver on and I GET video. But do NOT get sound from surround speakers. Second I put receiver into standby sound instantly comes back on tv internal speakers.

I've tried different cables and different inputs. Comcast customer service was useless.

Hoping you all can help me. Thanks!
Hello,
The box is first sensing, via the HDMI handshake, that the TV is only able to handle stereo so the cable box is only outputting a stereo signal to your Pioneer. However your Pioneer has a standby feature so you should run only one HDMI to the Pioneer and one HDMI out of the Pioneer to the TV ARC input. If the Pioneer is in standby mode you will be able to listen to the TV speakers. Then when you want to listen to surround sound you would turn on the Pioneer using the same single input on the Pioneer.

2741 - 2760 of 2817 Posts