AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2816 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello,
The box is first sensing, via the HDMI handshake, that the TV is only able to handle stereo so the cable box is only outputting a stereo signal to your Pioneer. However your Pioneer has a standby feature so you should run only one HDMI to the Pioneer and one HDMI out of the Pioneer to the TV ARC input. If the Pioneer is in standby mode you will be able to listen to the TV speakers. Then when you want to listen to surround sound you would turn on the Pioneer using the same single input on the Pioneer.

This is correct. This is how it worked with frontier.

With Comcast. With a single HDMI from Comcast to pioneer and then the one master HDMI out from pioneer to the tv I only get audio when the receiver is in standby. You're right, normally when I turn the receiver on (at least with frontier) audio was coming through the receiver now it's not. I've changed the audio settings in Comcast many times to auto detect.

I'm not noticing a separate tv in our bedroom with our second Comcast box keeps losing audio. This is an old insignia tv. To fix audio I have to go to Comcast settings. Switch to auto detect and then switch back to stereo and then sound comes back.

So now both cable boxes are giving me audio issues and their customer support is useless.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
This is correct. This is how it worked with frontier.

With Comcast. With a single HDMI from Comcast to pioneer and then the one master HDMI out from pioneer to the tv I only get audio when the receiver is in standby. You're right, normally when I turn the receiver on (at least with frontier) audio was coming through the receiver now it's not. I've changed the audio settings in Comcast many times to auto detect.

I'm not noticing a separate tv in our bedroom with our second Comcast box keeps losing audio. This is an old insignia tv. To fix audio I have to go to Comcast settings. Switch to auto detect and then switch back to stereo and then sound comes back.

So now both cable boxes are giving me audio issues and their customer support is useless.
Ok I now better understand what you are asking. My box is setup with Auto Detect and it runs through a Denon and I don't have your problem so it could be an audio setting in the Pioneer that needs to be change. I'll look at your Pioneer manual and see if I can find that setting for you.

Let me ask this, are you turning the cable boxes off when not in use?

From page 57 of the Pioneer Manual

Change your Input port setting for the cable box to the Pioneer from Auto to HDMI.
On the box to the Bedroom TV change the X1 box to Stereo.
Leave both boxes on all the time so they don't have to do a handshake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you! My next step was to reset the receiver. I'm thinking something in there but why is this happening if when I went from frontier swapped the box to Comcast and never touched the receiver. Never changed a setting why is it breaking down?

I think it could be something with how sophisticated Comcast's box is, in combination with the either the receiver or my LG e8. It could be Simplink maybe. I've tried changing inputs on the tv, off of arc, and I could then turn off Simplink. But still didn't fix the issue.

I've swapped out the HDMI twice going from receiver to Comcast.

Next step was reset the receiver but help from an expert like yourself is greatly appreciated. Literally no where else to go for help on this. Love this place

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Thank you! My next step was to reset the receiver. I'm thinking something in there but why is this happening if when I went from frontier swapped the box to Comcast and never touched the receiver. Never changed a setting why is it breaking down?

I think it could be something with how sophisticated Comcast's box is, in combination with the either the receiver or my LG e8. It could be Simplink maybe. I've tried changing inputs on the tv, off of arc, and I could then turn off Simplink. But still didn't fix the issue.

I've swapped out the HDMI twice going from receiver to Comcast.

Next step was reset the receiver but help from an expert like yourself is greatly appreciated. Literally no where else to go for help on this. Love this place
See my edit above

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I hit the power button on the Comcast remote Im assuming it's turning off the Comcast box and the tv together.

I don't think I can prevent that from happening unless I use the LG remote only which is annoying.

But with all the disconnects and connects I've had never could get it to work, never a positive handshake. why I wasn't thinking that yet because I've never had a positive handshake.

I'll go check the settings shortly and report back

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
When I hit the power button on the Comcast remote Im assuming it's turning off the Comcast box and the tv together.

I don't think I can prevent that from happening unless I use the LG remote only which is annoying.

But with all the disconnects and connects I've had never could get it to work, never a positive handshake. why I wasn't thinking that yet because I've never had a positive handshake.

I'll go check the settings shortly and report back
There is a setting in the X1 box to change the power setting mode. I'll need to go check how to change that setting. BRB

On the X1 go to the DEVICE SETTING page>POWER PREFERENCES> and make sure it is turned off.

On other thought...since you now have the 4K box you really should consider replacing your older HDMI cables for the newer Ultra Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables Low price for a 6 Ft cable from Monoprice

·
Registered
67 Posts
My main HDMI from receiver to tv is 8 years old.

If I go through that process of upgrading the main cable (meaning dismounting the damn tv) should I run an extra HDMI and is there a need for an optical cable as well?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Correction. I just checked. My main cable I upgraded with the new tv to accommodate 4k. It's an amazonbasics high speed HDMI.

4k at 30hz not 60hz. 48bit/px supports 18gbps

I'm also using a new Comcast supplied HDMI for the connection from Comcast to the receiver.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
My main HDMI from receiver to tv is 8 years old.

If I go through that process of upgrading the main cable (meaning dismounting the damn tv) should I run an extra HDMI and is there a need for an optical cable as well?
Try the settings that I provided 1) the X1 boxes (power and audio) and 2) the Pioneer before considering upgrading the HDMI cables.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Correction. I just checked. My main cable I upgraded with the new tv to accommodate 4k. It's an amazonbasics high speed HDMI.

4k at 30hz not 60hz. 48bit/px supports 18gbps

I'm also using a new Comcast supplied HDMI for the connection from Comcast to the receiver.
Sorry but the Amazon cable is not certified and the Comcast cable is useless.:frown:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My x1 box has a power preferences option. The best I can do is turn power saver off.

I'll test the pioneer soon and respond back before ordering cables

Edit...

Pioneer settings...

A. Manual sp setup
B. Input setup
C. Osd language
D. Network setup
E. Hdmi setup
F. Other setup
G. Mhl setup

Hdmi setup includes...
Control on/off
Control mode on/off
Arc. On/off
Pqls auto/off
Standby through (all input options here I have input 2 selected to match the cable box)

Input setup includes
Under hdmi2
Input skip off/on
Audio in. Assign off/coax 1 / coax2/ opt1/opt2
Hdmi input. All input options available. I have input 2 selected
Component in. Off/in1/in2
12v trigger 1
12v trigger 2

I can't figure out how to attach photos of the menu from my phone so I typed out the relevant settings above. The cable box was see to have power save mode off also.

Thoughts on these settings? I've tried many many combinations at this point.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Ok I guess I'm buying cables...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9303
How's this for a 15 footer?

Then I'll get a few of the ones you shared in different sizes
No... you do not want to buy those Monoprice cables. They are only High Speed. You should buy, for future proofing, the ones I showed you that are Certified Premium cables. So if you need a 15 foot one then buy this one instead .

You can get cables from other sellers, even AMAZON but they should have this label on them.

My x1 box has a power preferences option. The best I can do is turn power saver off.

I'll test the pioneer soon and respond back before ordering cables
Yes turn the POWER SAVER off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I edited my response from a few posts ago showing details on my receiver settings.

If nothing stands out to you as incorrect in those settings I'll reset my receiver next.

If that doesn't work it's onto cables.

I don't want to take my tv down more than once so should I run a 2nd HDMI and a 15ft optical in case I still can't get it to work? A 2nd HDMI would allow me to go direct from Comcast to the tv but not sure how to properly setup audio back to receiver at that point or if I need an optical cable to do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No... you do not want to buy those Monoprice cables. They are only High Speed. You should buy, for future proofing, the ones I showed you that are Certified Premium cables. So if you need a 15 foot one then buy this one instead .

You can get cables from other sellers, even AMAZON but they should have this label on them.

Yes turn the POWER SAVER off.

Thank you again for all the help! Any suggestions on next steps? I'm afraid to reset the receiver as I don't want to mess it up but it seems prudent to me to try that before getting cables as next step. Unless you saw something in my settings I may be doing wrong.

I am also going to try talking to pioneer tomorrow, no idea what I'll get out of that conversation but they've helped me once before many years ago.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Thank you again for all the help! Any suggestions on next steps? I'm afraid to reset the receiver as I don't want to mess it up but it seems prudent to me to try that before getting cables as next step. Unless you saw something in my settings I may be doing wrong.

I am also going to try talking to pioneer tomorrow, no idea what I'll get out of that conversation but they've helped me once before many years ago.
Did you find the Pioneer setting for Input 2 and changed it from Auto (default) to HDMI?

From page 57 of the Pioneer Manual

Change your Input port setting for the cable box to the Pioneer from Auto to HDMI
It would not hurt to do a Factory Reset.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you find the Pioneer setting for Input 2 and changed it from Auto (default) to HDMI?

It would not hurt to do a Factory Reset.
I found that setting it did nothing. Today will be a reset. New certified cables are in my cart with monoprice but I don't know if I need an optical cable. I may just run Comcast straight to the tv into HDMI 1. Then keep a cable going from HDMI 2 (ARC) to receiver. Not sure if that will send audio back from Comcast to surround or if I need an optical either from tv to receiver or from Comcast to receiver.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I found that setting it did nothing. Today will be a reset. New certified cables are in my cart with monoprice but I don't know if I need an optical cable. I may just run Comcast straight to the tv into HDMI 1. Then keep a cable going from HDMI 2 (ARC) to receiver. Not sure if that will send audio back from Comcast to surround or if I need an optical either from tv to receiver or from Comcast to receiver.
Yes an optical cable from the X1 to the Pioneer for audio would work since Comcast only broadcast Dolby Digital. If you get that to work you could hold off on buying new HDMI cables and use the supplied HDMI from Comcast to the TV. However you did say you would have to dismount the TV, and if so, you should get the newer HDMI cables and install while the TV is dismounted. BTW is the Bedroom system now working?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes an optical cable from the X1 to the Pioneer for audio would work since Comcast only broadcast Dolby Digital. If you get that to work you could hold off on buying new HDMI cables and use the supplied HDMI from Comcast to the TV. However you did say you would have to dismount the TV, and if so, you should get the newer HDMI cables and install while the TV is dismounted. BTW is the Bedroom system now working?
I'm going to order the cables. Use a long one to test Comcast to tv directly without dismounting just to test it. Use an optical from Comcast to the avr and see what happens.

The bedroom TV still has handshake issues. Easiest way to fix is turn off the TV and turn it back on again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I connected the x1 box to the tv via HDMI 3 (using a temporary cable) and left the main cable from the receiver to the tv in to the ARC input.

I had an optical cable then going from the x1 box to the receiver into the optical 2 port. Couldn't figure out for the life of me to get the receiver to use that input for audio. I have to research that more in the manual and try again later.

Pioneer support is supposed to be calling me back but that's looking doubtful so I'll have to call them back again also.

I'm the meantime I've ordered a bunch of cables from monoprice that will be here in A week or so.

2761 - 2780 of 2816 Posts