AVS Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 2817 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
BIG UPDATE

So I reset the receiver. Left original connections in place. Everything comes on and I'm getting Comcast audio over the surround!

NEW problem:. I can't get audio from the native apps on the tv (Netflix) through the receiver now. In fact I'm able to simultaneously hear Comcast over the surround while having a native app on the tv. In the tv settings (LG e8) I figured ARC was off. Go figure, it's set to internal. I try turning on HDMI ARC and it activates and shuts off over and over again. It won't activate. Now I'm more confused than ever. I'm going to try power cycling things and mess around more but can't believe resetting the receiver reversed everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok! So on an LG forum I found out how to do an av reset for the LG TV. Mute 3x fyi. I reset av and now everything is working.

Things are different than I'm used to since resetting the receiver and tv but I'm content for now. I'll report back tomorrow after more testing

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Ok! So on an LG forum I found out how to do an av reset for the LG TV. Mute 3x fyi. I reset av and now everything is working.

Things are different than I'm used to since resetting the receiver and tv but I'm content for now. I'll report back tomorrow after more testing
Good to hear you are making progress. See.... you didn't need my help. :p

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Good to hear you are making progress. See.... you didn't need my help. :p
Maybe you could help me. I am a recent convert from DTV and they handled the video options differently. With DTV you had to check all the video resolutions that your TV is capable of. With the Comcast X1 4K DVR you only choose one and because my TV is 4k capable the installer chose the Highest Resolution 4K. Since I don't or haven't watched any 4K on Comcast should I change that setting to 720P since I heard that Comcast broadcast everything in 720P? I heard or read that even stations that were broadcasting in 1080I like CBS, NBC & CNN Im' assuming Comcast converts them to 720P. My Sony A9G does a very good job with up-scaling so wouldn't I want to make this video resolution change to take advantage of that? My knowledge regarding this is pretty vague.
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,399 Posts
Unfortunately, with the X1 boxes one picks the output resolution of the box and everything the X1 box outputs that isn't already at that resolution gets rescaled to that.

While it is true that some broadcast stations and almost all "cable" HD channels are sent down the cable at 720p, there are some exceptions:

• Some local stations may still be sent down the cable at 1080i, though apparently there is a move to rescale those to 720p.
  • Video-on-Demand sometimes has 1080p24.
  • Some apps, like Netflix, can go as high as 2160p if one's box can deliver the resolution (you said "X1 4K DVR", which can) and one's Netflix streaming subscription is the tier that can deliver UltraHD.

Right now I don't have an UltraHD TV, so I have chosen to have the XG1v4 ("X1 4K DVR") send the video at my TV's native resolution of 1080p60.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Maybe you could help me. I am a recent convert from DTV and they handled the video options differently. With DTV you had to check all the video resolutions that your TV is capable of. With the Comcast X1 4K DVR you only choose one and because my TV is 4k capable the installer chose the Highest Resolution 4K. Since I don't or haven't watched any 4K on Comcast should I change that setting to 720P since I heard that Comcast broadcast everything in 720P? I heard or read that even stations that were broadcasting in 1080I like CBS, NBC & CNN Im' assuming Comcast converts them to 720P. My Sony A9G does a very good job with up-scaling so wouldn't I want to make this video resolution change to take advantage of that? My knowledge regarding this is pretty vague.
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
I am not versed in the X1 4K UHD box since I still have the older HD box and I haven't worked on an installation that uses the 4K box. But I assume the settings inside the box works the same. There is no harm if you want to change the resolution output on the DVR to see if there is an improvement in PQ on your Sony A9G but I'm guessing you will not see a big difference. My Sharp 75" 1080P display would also have a better upconverter, but I don't notice a difference, so my box is set at 1080 output. Hope this helps.

BTW I never let Comcast techs anywhere near my system. I always go to the Xfinity store and pick up my own box. :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I am not versed in the X1 4K UHD box since I still have the older HD box and I haven't worked on an installation that uses the 4K box. But I assume the settings inside the box works the same. There is no harm if you want to change the resolution output on the DVR to see if there is an improvement in PQ on your Sony A9G but I'm guessing you will not see a big difference. My Sharp 75" 1080P display would also have a better upconverter, but I don't notice a difference, so my box is set at 1080 output. Hope this helps.

BTW I never let Comcast techs anywhere near my system. I always go to the Xfinity store and pick up my own box. :wink: :grin:
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I should go to the Comcast Store near me and exchange it for the model DVR that you have. Is it the previous model just before the one I Have which I believe is the latest model since it is 4K capable? Actually had no choice having to switch from DTV to Comcast as the association where I live signed a 5 year contract. I'm assuming that you have your resolution setting to 1080 as that Is the highest setting for that DVR. Do you know if Comcast does in fact broadcast all programming in 720P? I may have been misinformed on this.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I should go to the Comcast Store near me and exchange it for the model DVR that you have. Is it the previous model just before the one I Have which I believe is the latest model since it is 4K capable? Actually had no choice having to switch from DTV to Comcast as the association where I live signed a 5 year contract. I'm assuming that you have your resolution setting to 1080 as that Is the highest setting for that DVR. Do you know if Comcast does in fact broadcast all programming in 720P? I may have been misinformed on this.
If your local store has one of the older boxes then yes you could ask for it. I take it you do not have subscriptions to Netflix or Amazon Prime? Yes my setting in my DVR is set to 1080. I will follow up with the exact model I have sometime today. And YES Comcast does down sample all cable channels to 720.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If your local store has one of the older boxes then yes you could ask for it. I take it you do not have subscriptions to Netflix or Amazon Prime? Yes my setting in my DVR is set to 1080. I will follow up with the exact model I have sometime today. And YES Comcast does down sample all cable channels to 720.
Thanks for that Link. I do have subscription to both Neflix and Amazon Prime and watched 4K HDR streaming from them via my TV apps. Are there any advantages to using Comcast's Netflx & Amazon Prime apps vs my TV. I guess I should just give it a try to see if I see any difference.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks for that Link. I do have subscription to both Neflix and Amazon Prime and watched 4K HDR streaming from them via my TV apps. Are there any advantages to using Comcast's Netflx & Amazon Prime apps vs my TV. I guess I should just give it a try to see if I see any difference.
if you enjoy sports once they return the xg1v4 box has access to HDR sports as well as movies.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Are there any advantages to using Comcast's Netflx & Amazon Prime apps vs my TV.
There is/was an advantage. If you use the comcast/xfinity NETFLIX app they don't charge you for the data (as far as I can tell). If you use the app on your TV the data comes through your cable modem and is counted against your data total for the month. Now during lockdown it seems comcast has removed data limits but I imagine they will be back. When my kids are home from college we often go over the data limit so I get unlimited data in the summer.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
There is/was an advantage. If you use the comcast/xfinity NETFLIX app they don't charge you for the data (as far as I can tell). If you use the app on your TV the data comes through your cable modem and is counted against your data total for the month. Now during lockdown it seems comcast has removed data limits but I imagine they will be back. When my kids are home from college we often go over the data limit so I get unlimited data in the summer.

Not true. All internet apps available on the X1 box will count toward you data cap (if you have one). The only exception is some 4K internet based movies and sports programs from sources that are part of your TV package.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks Ed I have unlimited on my internet. I have been using my TV for Netflix and Amazon prime streaming with both doing 4K & HDR for the most part with no issues. Should we be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting this way the TV does the up-scaling?

Reactions: DeadEd

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hi, I finally swapped out for the X1 yesterday.

Still playing around. 4K content. Let’s use Super Bowl for a moment and pretend it’s February.

The only way to see available 4K content is by saying 4K into my remote? Am I missing something? I sort of expected 4K option in the channel guide. I know there are not many options yet but if something is being broadcast in 4K live how do I know?

I understand there were some College Football games broadcast last year in 4K. I’d rather see in the channel guide that a show is being broadcast live in 4K. It would be cool if a 4K guide option. Super Bowl 4PM. I select and it moves me over to Fox. The guide is used to see available content but not a new unique channel. It just shows me at a glance what’s live. Click it and it moves me to that channel.

And again, you have to speak 4K into remote to get to content? No other way in?

Thanks, just starting to check this all out.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi, I finally swapped out for the X1 yesterday.

Still playing around. 4K content. Let’s use Super Bowl for a moment and pretend it’s February.

The only way to see available 4K content is by saying 4K into my remote? Am I missing something? I sort of expected 4K option in the channel guide. I know there are not many options yet but if something is being broadcast in 4K live how do I know?

I understand there were some College Football games broadcast last year in 4K. I’d rather see in the channel guide that a show is being broadcast live in 4K. It would be cool if a 4K guide option. Super Bowl 4PM. I select and it moves me over to Fox. The guide is used to see available content but not a new unique channel. It just shows me at a glance what’s live. Click it and it moves me to that channel.

And again, you have to speak 4K into remote to get to content? No other way in?

Thanks, just starting to check this all out.
yes either the voice or manual search until they create a dedicated channel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may need to replace my x1 cable box. Are these boxes plug and play or is there some kind of authentication process one must go through with Comcast? The problem is that this box only plays DVR recordings in Spanish. Spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and online with Comcast and could not correct the problem. This is one of three cable boxes installed in my home in addition to the main DVR/cable box.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I may need to replace my x1 cable box. Are these boxes plug and play or is there some kind of authentication process one must go through with Comcast? The problem is that this box only plays DVR recordings in Spanish. Spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and online with Comcast and could not correct the problem. This is one of three cable boxes installed in my home in addition to the main DVR/cable box.
In my experience, they're just plug and play. There is a pairing process with the remote but that is simple and straightforward. Whenever I need a new box I either go to the Comcast store and pick it up or have it shipped to me. Then I just bring it home and connect it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Should I be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting if I want my TV to do the up-scaling? I understand that If I am watching a 4K program from Comcast I would need to change it back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Should I be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting if I want my TV to do the up-scaling? I understand that If I am watching a 4K program from Comcast I would need to change it back.
I have the XG1v4 box. I found through trial and error that I get better picture quality leaving the box set to 1080i. If you have an AV receiver that supports 4K, make sure the upscaling on that is turned of so that the tv can handle it on its own.
At one point Xfinity actually had a box with a resolution setting option “native”, letting the signal come through however it was being broadcast. That was a nice feature but no more.
As far as apps, I like to use the tv for that so that the signal is direct to the tv and not going from the cable box to the receiver to the tv. I like the interface better and I can add whatever apps I want, not just the options that Comcast has deals with.

2781 - 2800 of 2817 Posts