AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2817 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Any of you use a programmable remote with X1?

What manufacturer and model number are you guys using for your codes?

I've noticed that there two different model numbers for each box. One is from comcast and one is from Arris. On the companion box is comcast or Samsung. Each have there own model number.

Another thing I've noticed is there isn't a STOP button on the X1 remote! Why not? Or am I missing something.

And there isn't a direct button to go to my DVR recordings? Why not? Or am I missing something here also.
Hitting "exit" will act the same as "stop"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any of you use a programmable remote with X1?

What manufacturer and model number are you guys using for your codes?

I've noticed that there two different model numbers for each box. One is from comcast and one is from Arris. On the companion box is comcast or Samsung. Each have there own model number.

Another thing I've noticed is there isn't a STOP button on the X1 remote! Why not? Or am I missing something.

And there isn't a direct button to go to my DVR recordings? Why not? Or am I missing something here also.

I'm using a Harmony One and the settings for the XfinityX1 if that helps.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
+1000 on making sure to get a blue PPC signal booster/splitter if you have X1

I did a self install of 4x boxes (1 dvr 3 regs) and a new router last week and assumed our cable setup would have been fine as a comcast contractor that used to live next door home ran our whole house way back when we moved in years ago so we had a singal booster as well already, the DVR worked ok but the other boxes did not and were very slow, after researching here and on comcasts forums i bought a PPC EVO 5 (blue one) off ebay just got done installing it and now everything is working great!

it was always just uplink that was bad because of the 8 way splitter we had previously that was splitting everything at the drop. the small boxes all would be pegged at their max of 51 dbmv and the DVR at 54 now all the boxes are sitting nicely at 43-44 dbmv uplink and downlink is 0-4 dbmv depending on box due to length of line runs from the drop. SNR is unchanged at 42-43 db!! so lesson is as others have said many times if you have slow and poor performing X1 boxes check your signals these things are very sensitive to it and the small boxes esp don't seem to have the power built into them to overcome heavy splitting and signal loss.

·
Registered
777 Posts
IR Control of the X1 DVR/Box

I control my theater system with a Elan Via Tools equipment and programming. I have the Elan IR Leaner and have copied remote codes for quite a few devices with no issue. I copied the Xfinity codes from a X4 and a X2 remote. All codes showed a good capture, however, they will not control the X1 with the exception of the Xfinity Menu button. The Elan system can interpret codes from a Pronto .ccf file or a Niles Audio file. However, I cannot find any files for this model or any Comcast box.
Is there anything special about these codes that cannot be interpreted by another learning unit? Any direction would be appreciated. I have not called Comcast as I have no doubt that it would be a waste of time.

·
2,423 Posts
Every time I consider moving to the X1 I start reading the threads and I reconsider. This thing has been out over a year now and it still seems like there are a lot of bugs. Maybe it depands where the user is located. Some areas seem to have advanced services and features as well as hardware.

Can anyone answer if the X1 box will "pass though" the native signal of the source? As in ABC, Fox in 720P and others in 1080I.

I am still on the fence about the X1 and I am an early adopter of most technology, but I am glad I did jump on his right away.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Every time I consider moving to the X1 I start reading the threads and I reconsider. This thing has been out over a year now and it still seems like there are a lot of bugs. Maybe it depands where the user is located. Some areas seem to have advanced services and features as well as hardware.

Can anyone answer if the X1 box will "pass though" the native signal of the source? As in ABC, Fox in 720P and others in 1080I.

I am still on the fence about the X1 and I am an early adopter of most technology, but I am glad I did jump on his right away.
NO native :(
I know ATT u-verse doesn't do this either

weirdly enough, Comcast regular non-dvr HD boxes do have a native mode

·
Registered
3 Posts
X1...Screen goes black or blue several times when thru receiver

Hi All -

I have a Pioneer Elite Receiver, 70 inch Sony W850B TV and the Comcast X1 DVR box. I have everything hooked up via hdmi...my X1 box doesn't have component as an option to try. Every so often...sometime multiple times throughout the day, the screen will just go completely black or blue. The only way I can figure out to get the picture back is to actually unplug the hdmi from the X1 box, plug a different hdmi in then switch back. It doesn't help to change the input settings back and forth, unplug the box etc. It is a weird problem, but very annoying.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. I have seen this on my TV when the HDMI connection from the X1 box to my Pioneer Elite receiver is even the slightest bit loose. I can usually correct it by resetting the connection. In my case, this happens when I have been fiddling around with other connections and accidentally loosen the box to receiver connection ever so slightly. Other causes for this can be a too stiff or too heavy HDMI cable that can loosen slightly due to weight or tension.

I would recommend trying a different HDMI cable and being absolutely sure you have the tightest fit possible. Many HDMI cables are notorious for not fitting well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. I have seen this on my TV when the HDMI connection from the X1 box to my Pioneer Elite receiver is even the slightest bit loose. I can usually correct it by resetting the connection. In my case, this happens when I have been fiddling around with other connections and accidentally loosen the box to receiver connection ever so slightly. Other causes for this can be a too stiff or too heavy HDMI cable that can loosen slightly due to weight or tension.

I would recommend trying a different HDMI cable and being absolutely sure you have the tightest fit possible. Many HDMI cables are notorious for not fitting well.
Hi - Thanks for your reply. I have tried several different HDMI cables but I have the same issue. All connections are tight as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh my god what did I just do? I allowed Comcast to "upgrade" me to an X1 system from a RNG200N. Its terrible. I really want my old box back now. Is that why they forced me to use a technician (who was 2 hours late by the way) so that I couldn't try before I bought and back out?

I cannot say enough bad things about what I've just experienced today (3 hours of use). I think I'm going to try to get the previous box back at least it had a larger hard drive I think so that I could record more. The X1 is already 5% filled and I just recorded 4 shows. Anyway, its laggy and I can easily outpace the user interface with my clicks. It has turned off randomly 5 times after doing actions that seem normal to me like deleting a program or changing it so the front light isn't so bright and occasionally does other random things. They moved the 15 second/5 minute skip into the box instead of on the remote so I cannot remap buttons or have both. No tuner swap like the RNG200N. The arrow buttons can no longer be used to fast forward, pause, .... 4 tuners sounded great but now I realize that you really have to work hard to use them live or semi live but using recordings. Seems like every thing is monetized so I'm constantly reminded of purchases and that I could have made. Only good thing so far is the ads in the guide are far less intrusive.

And of course there is no way to transfer previous scheduled recordings from my account. What is the point of the website that allows me to manage my DVR but doesn't allow me to save and restore things like this during upgrades? I think my ReplayTV had most of these features 15 years ago and they actually worked just not in HD.

Does it get any better? Ok. Rant over. I still have 29 days to cancel the deal I guess. I think Comcast just pushed me over the edge with this change and its time to build my own DVR from an older PC. I'm just a little concerned that MCE won't be that much better.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I think there may be something wrong with your installation. Turning off 5 times is not normal. I've had X1 for a year and a half and never seen that, even in the early days when there were frequent, often buggy, firmware updates. There are annoyances with the X1 but nothing like what you are seeing. BTW, I don't remember seeing ads in the Guide but maybe I have just trained myself to see past them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. By ads, I should have said no ads unlike the previous guide which were always there and I was always clicking. So that was the good relative thing.

It shut off another 2-3 times randomly since I last posted. I really agree that is a problem. And then it will randomly active as if I pressed the number 2 or 3 even though I'm sure I was pressing Page Up. When I went to the website to reprogram my previously scheduled programs, it showed what looked like the previous owner's history and recordings that I had to delete so pretty sure the box must be pre-owned. The technician actually went through 2 boxes in the install and then 2 remotes because the first ones didn't work right. So sounds like they may be simply reusing rejects in new installs and I'm wondering if they even properly refurbish them.

I've never exactly been a happy Comcast customer though I think I settled into a stalemate with the previous box which I was still ok with and was better than this X1. I knew it was time to upgrade since that box was starting to act strange after 2 years like not being able to delete shows or schedule reoccurring manual recordings. Speaking of which that is another feature they removed which is the ability to schedule manual recordings. I like to record the news in the morning but only really need to record 30 minutes to 1 hour and not 4-5 hours which is they block out in the schedule but there is no way with X1 to do that.

Sigh. SonicBlue and TiVo had already fixed all of these issues more than a decade ago but its just doesn't propagate. I think my resolve to see if I can put together a Windows Media Center box is increasing. I might miss the OnDemand feature but it wasn't a good experience with the previous box either so I didn't use it much. Figured X1 would be better on that front but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Try pressing the down button of the directional cursor. This will give you access to skipping and FFW,RW

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the hint on the down arrow. That is at least somewhat useful. Need to build up some new muscle memory with the remote I guess. I'll keep trying for a couple days but think I need to keep eye on the future.

Edit: I think I found the thing that the X1 actually does right at this point over the RNG200N. On Demand is truly an acceptable experience. I actually am not sure I could tell the difference between normal TV viewing and the On Demand mode. It had a crystal clear picture in 1080p and the 30 second skip forward and as well as fast forward and rewind were seemless. I'll have to use it for a few days before I'm willing to call it a good experience though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ive read all over the internet (dsl reports, comcast forums and more) about the X1 boxes having issues with EDID and resolutions not saving between the box/receiver/TV.

I just had mine x1 stuff installed yesterday. I set it to 1080p, everything was fine. After a restart however it reverted to 720p and it actually stuck there, unchangeable, until I rebooted the box. In multiple boot ups later, I hasn't stuck again since, but it is always reverting to 720p.

Ive tried powering the devices on in different orders, manually and with my Harmony One to no avail.

Has there been any kind of fix for this?

Is it all on the X1 box's end? Any kind of box firmware update? (my VT60 and denon 1312 have no more recent firmware) I've seen some recommendations for a powered HDMI splitter, but I'd hate to spend the money on that only for it to not be the solution. I've also been considering moving to a AVR-E300 (for other reasons), but I don't know if that would change anything either.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive read all over the internet (dsl reports, comcast forums and more) about the X1 boxes having issues with EDID and resolutions not saving between the box/receiver/TV.

I just had mine x1 stuff installed yesterday. I set it to 1080p, everything was fine. After a restart however it reverted to 720p and it actually stuck there, unchangeable, until I rebooted the box. In multiple boot ups later, I hasn't stuck again since, but it is always reverting to 720p.

Ive tried powering the devices on in different orders, manually and with my Harmony One to no avail.

Has there been any kind of fix for this?

Is it all on the X1 box's end? Any kind of box firmware update? (my VT60 and denon 1312 have no more recent firmware) I've seen some recommendations for a powered HDMI splitter, but I'd hate to spend the money on that only for it to not be the solution. I've also been considering moving to a AVR-E300 (for other reasons), but I don't know if that would change anything either.
You have to set the box to 1080i for it to stick. 1080i is the native resolution for the X1 boxes.

1821 - 1840 of 2817 Posts