AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 2817 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Regarding the 1080p settings, I was able to set it and leave and it has not reset after power cycles or activations. However, there were a number of other settings where I had problems. Namely, trying to change the brightness on the clock would cause my box to power off and the setting stuck once. The box got power cycled and the power setting came back and thought it was off according to setting but was still visible and any amount of changes did not help until the box was reset again at one point (not sure if this was an activation reset or cable reset but it eventually started working right again). I guess I can only suggest getting it activated again if you dare (1-855-OK-BEGIN for automated cabletv activation BTW) not saying it will work and dont know why it would but the randomness of this box might be fixed by anything I'm starting to believe.

Anyway, I set up a Windows Media Center box from an old desktop and a Ceton InfiniTV and think this will be my new DVR as the X1 has been a less than stellar experience. I think I might have liked it if they didn't drop so many power user features and it felt more stable but oh well.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Hey guys a newbie here for the X1. I dont have it it. Still have the old boxes. I have a couple of question.

I have 2 rooms. The living room and a bedroom. We record a lot of shows and probably at the same time. How does the companion box work? Like if we watch TV at the same time and we record at the same time. How many shows can we both watch and record at the same time? Is it 4 total or does each box have 4 tuners?

Does the companion box have HDMI and support for surround sound and all the other bells and whistles?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Earlier firmware revisions had bugs that caused 1080p -- and maybe 1080i -- settings to not stick. Your newly-installed X1 box may have one of those old firmware revisions installed. If so, it'll be auto-updated to a newer version at some point.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hey guys a newbie here for the X1. I dont have it it. Still have the old boxes. I have a couple of question.

I have 2 rooms. The living room and a bedroom. We record a lot of shows and probably at the same time. How does the companion box work? Like if we watch TV at the same time and we record at the same time. How many shows can we both watch and record at the same time? Is it 4 total or does each box have 4 tuners?

Does the companion box have HDMI and support for surround sound and all the other bells and whistles?

Thanks! :)
It's my understanding that all recording is done from the main box and that the satellite box does not have any tuners. It is possible to get two main boxes. Look for postings in this thread where people have done this. I don't know what that adds to the cost. You are limited to 4 recordings while watching one, though you might be able to watch a different show on each box while recording four programs. I've never tried this but have watched different programs on each box while recording one or two programs at the same time.

The satellite box supports surround via HDMI but sometimes you have to reset it since the boxes seem to revert to stereo at least some of the time. A real annoyance. I don't know what other bells and whistles you have in mind.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It's my understanding that all recording is done from the main box and that the satellite box does not have any tuners. It is possible to get two main boxes. Look for postings in this thread where people have done this. I don't know what that adds to the cost. You are limited to 4 recordings while watching one, though you might be ARE able to watch a different show on each box while recording four programs. I've never tried this but have watched different programs on each box while recording one or two programs at the same time.

The satellite box supports surround via HDMI but sometimes you have to reset it since the boxes seem to revert to stereo at least some of the time. A real annoyance. I don't know what other bells and whistles you have in mind.
I can confirm that you are able to watch a "different" 5th show on each box

·
Registered
237 Posts
)
The companion box has it's own tuner for live TV. As for the DVR box, according to Comcast, each DVR has 5 usable tuners, 4 can be used to record while the 5th can be used for live TV. I can confirm that you can record 4 shows at once, but I'm not sure that I have actually watched a 5th live show at the same time.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-with-cloud-technology-available-features

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,848
hello all,

got a dvr replaced 2 weeks ago and now all dvr-ed shows freeze during playback. Comcast came to exchange box but brought an old green light box. I refused to take an old box and the tech was an BAD WORD!! After speaking to his boss he left me with my blue lite broken box. Now the only was to see dvr-ed shows is thur On Demand. New blue light box coming next Sunday!!:mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok...so I have been monitoring this thread for quite some time.

But...I haven't checked in a little white...too busy.

I am not on X1 yet...but waiting until things work right.

So what is the consensus nowadays? Are there still annoying issues...and hold off? Or is it safe to take the plunge?

Having lost recordings...having to pay for OnDemand stuff that I currently have for free...and not being able to go back seasons on a series are killers for me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok...so I have been monitoring this thread for quite some time.

But...I haven't checked in a little white...too busy.

I am not on X1 yet...but waiting until things work right.

So what is the consensus nowadays? Are there still annoying issues...and hold off? Or is it safe to take the plunge?

Having lost recordings...having to pay for OnDemand stuff that I currently have for free...and not being able to go back seasons on a series are killers for me.

Thoughts?
I'm in the same position. I currently have four cable boxes only one of which is a dvr. The ability of the X1 system to have a master dvr from which the other non-dvr boxes can schedule and play recordings has great appeal. I've read through this entire thread and am concerned about the number of reports of equipment that just doesn't work right. If/when I do schedule the upgrade I would plan to pay Comcast to do the install rather than do it myself. Maybe when winter is over...

I'm aware that satisfied customers probably don't report as much as though who've had problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in the same position. I currently have four cable boxes only one of which is a dvr. The ability of the X1 system to have a master dvr from which the other non-dvr boxes can schedule and play recordings has great appeal. I've read through this entire thread and am concerned about the number of reports of equipment that just doesn't work right. If/when I do schedule the upgrade I would plan to pay Comcast to do the install rather than do it myself. Maybe when winter is over...

I'm aware that satisfied customers probably don't report as much as though who've had problems.
I got the X1 about 6 months ago. I only have one other non-DVR box. Comcast would NOT allow me to do self installation so I had to pay $50 for installation. It took a couple of hours to install. My previous system also allowed me to watch recordings on the other box so that was not an advantage. My wife still thinks that it is worth the upgrade but I am not so sure. We certainly have to do a lot of rebooting of the system. We have gone through the loss of programmed shows. I do like the ability to watch all channels on my iPad if I am in a different room. It definitely has quirks that can be irritating. Whether these quirks are a deal breaker is a personal thing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
God this thing is laggy and slow. What an underpowered device.

·
Registered
307 Posts
hello all,

on a very sad note, we got the security services added in and a new router was installed. there netgear router sucked.
no wifi in all rooms no more. we had to spend $75 to get a repeater
Never, ever buy netgear. They have by far the worst quality control. I've gone through 6 routers and access points, they have all failed or not worked right from the get go.

Sent from my d801/20e kdz.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Never, ever buy netgear. They have by far the worst quality control. I've gone through 6 routers and access points, they have all failed or not worked right from the get go.

Sent from my d801/20e kdz.
Netgear routers and bridges have always worked just fine for me.

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
307 Posts
Netgear routers and bridges have always worked just fine for me.
Steer clear in the future, if you ever have a problem, their return process is even worse. They send you refurbished products that are just as faulty.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So I just moved from DirecTV Genie to XFinity X1 because it saved us about $150 a month. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of features we relied on. I should have done more research, admittedly, but honestly thought at this point in time that these features were "no brainers." I'm hoping XFinity is working on these?

• I can't pause live tv upstairs on the companion box. HUGE feature lost from Genie and even our old Comcast boxes.
  • Unbelievably, when you hit play after a FF, it doesn't backup like every other DVR on the planet.
  • No direct access from the remote to DVR -- multiple clicks to get there. What?
  • If service goes down, you can't play anything you recorded. What?
Are any of these things on the roadmap to get fixed? Particularly the first two -- that should just be software fixes. I wasn't told about them until AFTER we installed it (the installer felt bad about it, but it was what it was).

We are only a few weeks into using it. I'm trying to find out what I gained from this over my old comcast box other than being able to record from upstairs now. The other older boxes may have had an ugly interface, but they worked.
Same here and loss of the pause and rewind is a major bummer. I ordered my service through an Xfinity store/center. The rep assured me that is a beta feature that will be released later this year. They were not sure if it would come on revised hardware or if current X1 boxes would work. I just hope they hurry with that because it's an important and useful feature ...besides all other competitors have it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Same here and loss of the pause and rewind is a major bummer. I ordered my service through an Xfinity store/center. The rep assured me that is a beta feature that will be released later this year. They were not sure if it would come on revised hardware or if current X1 boxes would work. I just hope they hurry with that because it's an important and useful feature ...besides all other competitors have it.
Just record the show you are currently watching, then while you are "chasing the recording", you can pause and rewind on a companion box

1841 - 1860 of 2817 Posts