AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to make it easier for those who still have trouble getting Xonar HDAV series to bitsreaming.

Original Doc is here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Aud...User_Guide.pdf

Xonar HDAV1.3 DVD/Blu-ray Disc Playback User Guide for VISATA

Version: V.0.90

Date: 2008/9/15

This document is to describe the critical software setup steps about TotalMedia Theatre software player and Xonar driver to properly

playback Blu-ray/DVD movie disc on XP and Vista. It’s highly recommended to read the information before you start playing Blu-ray/DVD disc with Xonar HDAV1.3 card.

Windows Vista 32/64

Scenario 1: High-Bit-Rate audio decoding LPCM output (DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby

Digital Plus, & Dolby TrueHD decoding) by HDMI or Analog Out connection (for Blu-ray Disc)

1. Set “Speakers” as the default playback audio device in Sound setting in Vista

2. Select HDMI mode for HDMI output or Sound Card mode for analog output in Xonar HDAV Center audio page

3.Select “8 Channels” in Audio Channel menu

4.Open TotalMedia TheatreÎclick SetupÎAudio

5.Select “7.1 Channels” or other correspondent channel numbers with your speaker type in Audio Output Mode (TMT will output LPCM audio data after decoding)

6.Uncheck “Enable down mixing (192KHz)” item (Enable audio mixer should be checked only when you are going to do PIP function to mix primary and secondary audio streams)

7.Press “Apply” first, then press OK. Then start playback.

8.Select correspondent Sample Rate in Xonar AV Center consistent with the playing disc audio format displayed in TMT screen (right-click mouse to turn on “information” function) for the highest fidelity playback

For example:

The disc audio format is 192KHz/24bit LPCM, than please set the same 192KHz sample rate as the content above.

Scenario 2: Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 bitstream pass-through by SPDIF/HDMI (for DVD/Blu-ray disc)

1. Set “Digital Output Device” as the default playback device in Sound setting in Vista first

2. Open Xonar HDAV Center

3. Enable “SPDIF Out” in Sound Card mode for S/PDIF or select HDMI mode for HDMI output

4. Open TotalMedia TheatreÎSetupÎAudio

5. Select “S/PDIF” in Audio Output Mode

6. Press Apply first, then press OK. You can start playback now.

Scenario 3: Add sound effects and use DDL/DTS Connect transcoding output by SPDIF/HDMI (for DVD/Blu-ray disc)

1. Set “Speakers” as the default playback audio device in Sound setting in Vista

2. Open Xonar HDAV Center

3. Enable “S/PDIF Out” in Sound Card mode or select HDMI mode for HDMI output

4. Set “6 Channels” or “8 Channels” in Audio Channel and select “Dolby Digital Live” or “DTS Interactive” in S/PDIF Out or HDMI Out pull-down menu

5. Open TotalMedia TheatreÎSetupÎAudio

6. Select “7.1 Channels” in Audio Output Mode (TMT will output LPCM audio data after decoding and Xonar will add DSP effects and tanscode it into AC3/DTS.)

7. Uncheck “Enable down mixing (192KHz)” item

8. Press Apply first, then press OK. Now you can start playback.

9. In this mode, you are able to adjust the DVD sound volume, your multi-speaker placement and surround soundfield virtually by 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter. You can also add environmental reverbs or EQ effect into the movie surround sounds. In a word, you can optimize the movies’ sounds even over Dolby Digital/DTS Surround 5.1 digital bitstream output to your home theater.

Scenario 4: Use Dolby Headphone virtualized 5.1 surround sounds over stereo headphone (for DVD/Blu-ray disc)

2. Open Xonar HDAV Center and select Sound Card mode page

3. Select “6 Channels” or “8 Channels” in Audio Channel and “Headphone” in Analog Out

4. Check “Dolby Headphone” ON

6. Select “5.1 Channels” in Audio Output Mode

7. Press Apply first, and then press OK. Please start playback.

Scenario 5: Use Dolby Virtual Speaker virtualized 5.1 surround sounds over stereo or 2.1 speakers (for DVD/Blu-ray disc)

2. Open Xonar HDAV Center and select Sound Card mode

3. Select “6 Channels” or “8 Channels” in Audio Channel and “2 Speakers” in Analog Out

4. Check “Dolby Virtual Speaker” ON

6. Select “5.1 Channels” in Audio Output Mode

7. Press Apply first, then press OK. Please start playback.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
hmm, funny but rereading the post twice I can't find the most obvious scenario, namely DTS-HD MA, TrueHD bitstreaming (not decoded to LPCM by TMT), which works this way:

1. Set “Speakers” as the default playback audio device in Sound setting in Vista (or Win7).

2. Select HDMI mode for HDMI output or Sound Card mode for analog output in Xonar HDAV Center audio page

3.Select “8 Channels” in Audio Channel menu

4.Open TotalMedia TheatreÎclick SetupÎAudio

5.Select “HDMI passthrough” (TMT3) or "HDMI" (TMT2).

6.Press “Apply” first, then press OK. Then start playback.

With this same settings I get pass-through of LPCM at the sample rate specified in Xonar HDAV Center, and also plain DD and DTS bitstreaming, but I have the Deluxe and Standard HDAV; the Slim, and as even some Deluxe and Standard users have reported, needs that Windows sound be set to SPDIF for DD and DTS to bitstream.

Finally for Vista SP2 and Win7 bistreaming right now 17.71 drivers, TMT3 .140 and, most important, Asus "game patch" are required.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/16918808

With this same settings I get pass-through of LPCM at the sample rate specified in Xonar HDAV Center, and also plain DD and DTS bitstreaming, but I have the Deluxe and Standard HDAV; the Slim, and as even some Deluxe and Standard users have reported, needs that Windows sound be set to SPDIF for DD and DTS to bitstream.

Does this mean that for some users you can not use HDMI and must use SPDIF for DD and DTS to bitstream?

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei /forum/post/16919845

Does this mean that for some users you can not use HDMI and must use SPDIF for DD and DTS to bitstream?

Yes, particularly the Slim users. But I've read of other HDAV1.3 (Standard and Delux) users having this issue.

I myself only need the one setup outlined above in Vista and Win7 x32 and x64 systems.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
the Slim, and as even some Deluxe and Standard users have reported, needs that Windows sound be set to SPDIF for DD and DTS to bitstream

reported to be a win7 driver thing, not a slim thing...

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/16921737

reported to be a win7 driver thing, not a slim thing...

OK, the Slim win7 driver specifically then, as I have no issues (meaning just one setup for everything) with the regular HDAV1.3 Win7 driver (after applying "game patch" of course) ... it even works in Win7 RTM!

·
Registered
659 Posts
So their is still no single setup solution to give me bitsreamed audio to my amp (all flavours) & video direct into either my 1080p televisons or my Hw10 projector? Would have thought they would have sorted this by now

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Please indicate that the setting to spdif is relative to the program and all streams for HD codecs are through the hdmi connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.