AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 2081 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new here and just bought an RX-V685 (replacing an 18 year old RX-V620 which was pre-HDMI so was only being used for audio). So far, so good except for one thing. I have the display showing the audio decoder and even though the decoder is set to Auto, it will display "Neo 6: Cinema" (which I understand is a DTS decoder) even with a Dolby Digital source (as indicated by it alternately showing "DD DD" (the first two being the Dolby D)). If I then hit the Sur. Decode button on the remote and select Auto (which it should have already been), it will then start showing "DD DSur" as the surround decoder.

So my question is why is it picking "Neo 6: Cinema" with a Dolby source and have I missed a setup option somewhere that despite my thinking I have the surround decoder set to Auto actually has it Neo 6: Cinema?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm new here and just bought an RX-V685 (replacing an 18 year old RX-V620 which was pre-HDMI so was only being used for audio). So far, so good except for one thing. I have the display showing the audio decoder and even though the decoder is set to Auto, it will display "Neo 6: Cinema" (which I understand is a DTS decoder) even with a Dolby Digital source (as indicated by it alternately showing "DD DD" (the first two being the Dolby D)). If I then hit the Sur. Decode button on the remote and select Auto (which it should have already been), it will then start showing "DD DSur" as the surround decoder.

So my question is why is it picking "Neo 6: Cinema" with a Dolby source and have I missed a setup option somewhere that despite my thinking I have the surround decoder set to Auto actually has it Neo 6: Cinema?
Nero 6: Cinema is a surround sound processing format and is used to produce what you hear after the receiver decodes the source audio (unless the player use it as an output which is rare). Are you sure that you are not looking at the something called 'sound field effect' (THis is the term used in 7850)? Is there s setting in V685 called 'straight'?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nero 6: Cinema is a surround sound processing format and is used to produce what you hear after the receiver decodes the source audio (unless the player use it as an output which is rare). Are you sure that you are not looking at the something called 'sound field effect' (THis is the term used in 7850)? Is there s setting in V685 called 'straight'?
Yes, the term "sound field effect" is used and there is a "straight" setting.

Anyway, I did some more playing and think I figured things out and cleared up a misconception I had. First, I did not understand that selecting a sound program (Cinema DSP 3D as Yamaha calls it) and selecting a surround decoder are mutually exclusive. Selecting a surround decoder was turning off the sound program I was selecting (I'm experimenting). Somewhere I must have inadvertently selected "Neo 6: Cinema" as a surround decoder and than managed to store it in the Scenes I was setting. So every time I changed Scenes, it brought back the "Neo 6: Cinema" decoder. I think I have the Scenes set properly now.

If I'm reading the manual properly, a surround decoder really only makes sense with a 2-channel input and if it's showing a Dolby Digital or DTS input, I should just let it do its thing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I will call for warranty return or replacement tomorrow. Just can't believe that this could happen.

The YPAO mic disagrees with your speaker setting, that's all. That isn't broken to me. That's your fronts sound more like large speakers than small ones to the YPAO mic.

There are 6.5" drivers on my bookshelf speakers- the same drivers that are in the same-make tower speakers. The mic "thinks" it can handle full range- and turns the SUB output down.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The YPAO mic disagrees with your speaker setting, that's all. That isn't broken to me. That's your fronts sound more like large speakers than small ones to the YPAO mic.
I did manually change the setting for Subwoofer to 'use' and change Front and Center to 'Small'. But I still can't hear anything from the SubWoofer. Does that change your opinion?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did manually change the setting for Subwoofer to 'use' and change Front and Center to 'Small'. But I still can't hear anything from the SubWoofer. Does that change your opinion?
Forget the splitter. Connect a straight RCA cable from the receiver to the white or left input on the sub.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Forget the splitter. Connect a straight RCA cable from the receiver to the white or left input on the sub.

I tried. Dead silent. Can I use pre-amp out for 'Center' and try to see if anything is fed to the subwoofer? Should I change Center to 'Large' if this is doable?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tried. Dead silent. Can I use pre-amp out for 'Center' and try to see if anything is fed to the subwoofer? Should I change Center to 'Large' if this is doable?
I dunno. I looked for your sub and couldn't find any info. It's a hassle but if it were me I'd return the receiver. If it happens with the next one well...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I dunno. I looked for your sub and couldn't find any info. It's a hassle but if it were me I'd return the receiver. If it happens with the next one well...

I know it is really unlikely that the receiver is at fault when it is just delivered. But nothing is impossible. The sub works with my old Denon receiver. But again you can't say for sure that the receiver is at fault. I don't have a second sub to do troubleshooting.

By the way, is it possible to measure the signal from the sub-out port of the receiver?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know it is really unlikely that the receiver is at fault when it is just delivered. But nothing is impossible. The sub works with my old Denon receiver. But again you can't say for sure that the receiver is at fault. I don't have a second sub to do troubleshooting.

By the way, is it possible to measure the signal from the sub-out port of the receiver?
A couple of thoughts:
1) I think if YPAO set a level for the sub, it heard it (although maybe at a frequency you couldn’t hear)
2) Are you sure you’re connected to the subwoofer out jack? I know on my brand-new RX-V685, the subwoofer jack is right next to other jacks
3) Have you tried touching the subwoofer itself when it should be outputting something? It’s low frequency and I can feel mine move even when I can barely (if at all) hear it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1) I think if YPAO set a level for the sub, it heard it (although maybe at a frequency you couldn’t hear)
YPAO didn't detect the sub. I assume that YPAO didn't hear anything as I did.

2) Are you sure you’re connected to the subwoofer out jack? I know on my brand-new RX-V685, the subwoofer jack is right next to other jacks
Yes. There are two sub outs under label Pre-Amp/Subwoofer

3) Have you tried touching the subwoofer itself when it should be outputting something? It’s low frequency and I can feel mine move even when I can barely (if at all) hear it.
Dead silent. Nothing can be felt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
More on the issue related with no sound from the sub. I noticed that when I turn on the receiver, I hear a loud 'bom' sound from the sub. And when I turn off the receiver, I hear two very weak 'bom, bom' sound from the sub for which I have to put my ear just by the sub. Is this normal? I never heard speak sounds with my previous receiver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha TSR-7850, always plays in 7.1.

Got a Yamaha TSR-7850 just before this last Christmas. For the most part it works great and sounds great. But the issue I am having is no matter the source, it will always output to 7.1.

As far as I can tell, the settings are correct. Pretty much using Auto for all that I can. I have the Speaker configuration set to 7.1. I've tested a lot of settings, but cannot figure out how to make it play in 5.1 if that source only is 5.1. My older unit had no issues going between the two. It would also show the speaker setup output on the front of the unit too. This new one only show the 7.1 setup, unless I go into the settings and manually force it to be 5.1.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a buried setting somewhere? I've tried searching, but cannot find any answers. And Google just sucks any more. It tries to correct what you're saying and will only show you pages that try to sell you the unit, or take you to the product page.

Attaching a screenshot where it shows that it knows the source is only 5.1, but still outputs to 7.1. And it is surround sound. Not the 7.1 stereo mix.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
-7850 XBox And Audio Questions

I just pulled my 7850 out of 18 months storage. And am finally going to do a Proper Set-Up. If anyone has been thru this any Advice, Tips, Help, will be appreciated.

1. Which HDMI input is best for Xbox One X for 4K gaming? Audio for the Xbox will be handled by the 7850.
Any Tips/Advice for Settings on the 7850 for Xbox One X Set-Up?

2. Audio from my PC/Media Server will be sent via S/PIDF(Optical) and not HDMI to the 7850. As I have a MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2060. The v/c will handling processing. Is there anything special audio-wise I need to set up for that? As the video portion will be sent to the tv via a separate HDMI.

3. Is there a specific HDMI input that the PC/Media Server needs to be plugged into? As I stream a lot of stuff from the webz and stuff on my hdd's. And any Settings/Tips for that?

AVR: TSR-7850
Speakers: L/R - Martin-Logan Motion 40's(full range)
C: Motion 8
Surr: Motion 6
Sub: SVS PB-1000
Console: Xbox One X

·
Registered
319 Posts
1. Which HDMI input is best for Xbox One X for 4K gaming? Audio for the Xbox will be handled by the 7850.
Any Tips/Advice for Settings on the 7850 for Xbox One X Set-Up?

2. Audio from my PC/Media Server will be sent via S/PIDF(Optical) and not HDMI to the 7850. As I have a MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2060. The v/c will handling processing. Is there anything special audio-wise I need to set up for that? As the video portion will be sent to the tv via a separate HDMI.

3. Is there a specific HDMI input that the PC/Media Server needs to be plugged into? As I stream a lot of stuff from the webz and stuff on my hdd's. And any Settings/Tips for that?
I only use Windows 10 as my audio/video source and connect it to 7850 via HDMI for both audio and Video. It works well. It doesn't seem to me that there is difference between any HDMI inputs and any HDMI outputs except HDMI output2 doesn't allow HDMI control.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I only use Windows 10 as my audio/video source and connect it to 7850 via HDMI for both audio and Video. It works well. It doesn't seem to me that there is difference between any HDMI inputs and any HDMI outputs except HDMI output2 doesn't allow HDMI control.
I'm using a higher end video card. So I don't need to use hdmi for video To/Thru the 7850. The 7850 is only used for Volume and Audio Signal processing. With the Xbox One, It will be hdmi thru the 7850.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I just upgraded from the Yamaha v675 to the v685. Everything went fine, I have the satellite box going to HDMI 1 and the Blu Ray going to HDMI2 and Fire stick in HDMI4 then out to the TV.

So I watch DirectTV and all is good. I go to watch a DVD and Netflix and then go back to DirectTV and I can't get any sound. I go to the back and plug and unplug, putting everything back where it was originally and eventually the sound comes on from DirectTV.

I go and check DVD and Fire stick for a couple of min and they all work. Seems like when I watch dvd or streaming for an extended period it loses what was setup. Any ideas what is going on?
Not sure what's going on (how long do you wait for sound to come on?). But I've read it is Not Good for the components to unplug/plug in HDMI while anything's turned on. Just FYI.

Probably just the last SUR DECODE upmixer you had selected.

Yes, you can test a subwoofer by hooking something like a phone or an iPod to the powered input with an adapter cord, just start with the device's volume LOW. The Sub RCA input is expecting line level audio, not amplified (volume controlled) from something.

Just curious, what is the gain on your sub set to? And to confirm, the AVR doesn't detect the sub being connected to the SUB OUT/LFE output at all? Any other settings on the sub we should know about? Can you post a pic?

Got a Yamaha TSR-7850 just before this last Christmas. For the most part it works great and sounds great. But the issue I am having is no matter the source, it will always output to 7.1.

As far as I can tell, the settings are correct. Pretty much using Auto for all that I can. I have the Speaker configuration set to 7.1. I've tested a lot of settings, but cannot figure out how to make it play in 5.1 if that source only is 5.1. My older unit had no issues going between the two. It would also show the speaker setup output on the front of the unit too. This new one only show the 7.1 setup, unless I go into the settings and manually force it to be 5.1.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a buried setting somewhere? I've tried searching, but cannot find any answers. And Google just sucks any more. It tries to correct what you're saying and will only show you pages that try to sell you the unit, or take you to the product page.

Attaching a screenshot where it shows that it knows the source is only 5.1, but still outputs to 7.1. And it is surround sound. Not the 7.1 stereo mix.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Use "Straight," not SUR DECODE (the Dolby or DTS upmixers will create the 6/7.x channel from 5.1 content).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just curious, what is the gain on your sub set to? And to confirm, the AVR doesn't detect the sub being connected to the SUB OUT/LFE output at all? Any other settings on the sub we should know about? Can you post a pic?
Here is the picture of the back panel of the subwoofer. I am using high level inputs for now before I can get the receiver inspected and repaired. The subwoofer definitely works with low level inputs with another receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is the RX-485 for me?

I need a receiver to power my deck and porch speakers - no video. Audio quality is not a top concern, and any video features are only a benefit should I decide to move the receiver somewhere else.

What I do want is a receiver with the most networking features: WiFi & Ethernet connectivity, Bluetooth streaming input, App control (Both Android and iPhone), Amazon Music, and the ability to play my library from a Samba share (DLNA?). If it can preamp to my Marantz SR-6005 that would be a bonus.

Despite being 18-24 months old, it looks like the RX-V485 fits all of those requirements. It might be a bit overkill, but a quick perusal of the Networking forum shows a lot of devices that either don't have an amplifier, or are much more expensive than the Yamaha.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

1761 - 1780 of 2081 Posts