AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 2087 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the response but part of the problem is that I can no longer get into the Advanced Settings which is where I could do that. I'm not aware of a workaround. Thanks again.
Did you press Straight & Power? That is supposed to bring it up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you press Straight & Power? That is supposed to bring it up.
Yes. Now it just goes to "Update Failed". Can't do anything else and I've tried damn near everything. No idea what happened but something is definitely wrong with it. Hopefully Costco still has them and I can just swap it for a new one. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If it's not within 30 days most Costco managers are going to tell you to deal with Yamaha warranty. Some may give you 60 days but that's on them.

Just thinking out loud, have you tried the web interface to see if it's up and running? There's both a reset and an update function there.
Long shot but ....

IP ADDRESS OF 7850/Setup/

last "/" required

Yes. Now it just goes to "Update Failed". Can't do anything else and I've tried damn near everything. No idea what happened but something is definitely wrong with it. Hopefully Costco still has them and I can just swap it for a new one. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
I'm not a memeber but wouldn't this fall under "electronics" and have a 90 day return policy?

"What is Costco's return policy?

Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee at any time if you are dissatisfied.

On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price*, with the following exceptions:

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, dishwashers, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract)."

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/what-is-costcos-return-policy?

Reactions: rakstr

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it's not within 30 days most Costco managers are going to tell you to deal with Yamaha warranty. Some may give you 60 days but that's on them.

Just thinking out loud, have you tried the web interface to see if it's up and running? There's both a reset and an update function there.
Long shot but ....

IP ADDRESS OF 7850/Setup/

last "/" required
Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: didn't work, but thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a memeber but wouldn't this fall under "electronics" and have a 90 day return policy?

On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee at any time if you are dissatisfied.

On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price*, with the following exceptions:

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, dishwashers, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract)."

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/what-is-costcos-return-policy?
Thanks. I paid with my Costco Visa card so I think it's doubled and that should get me under the wire but I'm going there today anyway so I'll ask about it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and their return policy. It used to be even better before people abused it as a TV upgrade program when flat screens first appeared ;)

You are correct in what you say but there are some items that the manufacturer agreement limits them and I thought I read someplace that this was one of them. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong. I should have made that more clear and thanks for calling me out on this!

As my Dad always told me, the answer is always NO if you fail to ask. I always ask at Costco and Sams and often get responses that leave me pleasantly surprised.;)

PS - I don't see it in stock online so if the local store doesn't have them you'd be limited to a refund at whatever time period the manager determines for the item.

UPDATE - I found a price tag photo I took from October of last year and it DOES NOT have the 30 day limited return note on the tag (which is where I've typically seen them) so it should fall within the normal policy. Again, sorry for any confusion.......

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and their return policy. It used to be even better before people abused it as a TV upgrade program when flat screens first appeared ;)

You are correct in what you say but there are some items that the manufacturer agreement limits them and I thought I read someplace that this was one of them. HOPEFULLY I'm wrong. I should have made that more clear and thanks for calling me out on this!

As my Dad always told me, the answer is always NO if you fail to ask. I always ask at Costco and Sams and often get responses that leave me pleasantly surprised.;)

PS - I don't see it in stock online so if the local store doesn't have them you'd be limited to a refund at whatever time period the manager determines for the item.
You're right about the old return policy - shame that so many abused it. I'm currently on hold with the Costco Concierge service - they will assist with items which may or may not be outside their normal warranty. The guy I'm dealing with can't find my date of purchase so he's trying to get Yamaha on the line. He gave me the option of calling myself but I figure I'd have better luck with Costco's muscle as backup. I'll update once this thing is resolved.

·
Registered
37 Posts

UPDATE - I found a price tag photo I took from October of last year and it DOES NOT have the 30 day limited return note on the tag (which is where I've typically seen them) so it should fall within the normal policy. Again, sorry for any confusion.......
Just got back from Costco and am pleased to report that they said I could return it without question. The guy said that amplifiers aren't excepted from the open return policy. They even had them in stock so I was able to get another one. The price is higher now (I originally paid the $399, I think) but he said they could find the transaction and credit me accordingly when I bring in the defective unit. Another reason why I buy almost everything from Costco.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi guys,
can I connect a 585 AVR through a non ARC/eARC HDMI port of the TV?
The upcoming Sony X900H will have just two HDMI 2.1 ports and I need them for PC and PS5.

Thanks for your answer.
M_C

·
Registered
528 Posts
I purchased a new RXV-685 around Christmas time and anything viewed via Comcast live or DVR cuts in and out several times per minute. I don't watch that much material so I let it go for a while until I finally had enough. I have since had a new DVR box arrive and it does the same thing.

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the new DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. I upgrade for better bluetooth wireless options and while that works not being able to watch Comcast is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc.

Anyone have any ideas how to go about fixing this?

GM

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yamaha RX-V685 Comcast Audio-Video dropouts

I purchased a new RXV-685 around Christmas time and anything viewed via Comcast live or DVR cuts in and out several times per minute. I don't watch that much material so I let it go for a while until I finally had enough. I have since had a new DVR box arrive and it does the same thing.

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the old DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. Old DVR box new receiver and I do have issues. New DVR box and new receiver I have issues. I upgraded for better bluetooth and wireless options and while that works, not being able to watch Comcast (which costs a ton of money as everyone knows) is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc. Only Comcast material broadcast live or recorded to the DVR.

GM

·
Registered
16,366 Posts

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the old DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. Old DVR box new receiver and I do have issues. New DVR box and new receiver I have issues. I upgraded for better bluetooth and wireless options and while that works, not being able to watch Comcast (which costs a ton of money as everyone knows) is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc. Only Comcast material broadcast live or recorded to the DVR.

GM

I have the RX-V583 (new) for the downstairs HTS and the RX-A780 for the upstairs HTS. Both have Comcast running thru them with zero issues. I have no need to record shows or watch anything other than network broadcasts so I use the legacy Comcast STB which is HD only (1080p) because that's all that networks broadcasts in. Streaming is done thru an ATV4 and an ATV4k which also goes thru the Yamaha receivers. No issues. Take a closer look at your settings and try disabling Deep Color if you can and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
28,460 Posts
^^^Could be a problem with the Comcast Box or you need to replace the HDMI cable.

Reactions: Greg Matty

·
Registered
353 Posts

Are there any known issues with the RX-V685 and Comcast? I hate to say it but with the new DVR box and my old RXV 677 I had zero issues. I upgrade for better bluetooth wireless options and while that works not being able to watch Comcast is very annoying. Blue Ray movies routed through the AVR work fine as does bluetooth and internet YouTube videos, Amazon prime, etc.

GM

Yeah, if you got a new DVR box then try replacing the cable and / or plugging it into a different HDMI port on the receiver.

·
Registered
28,460 Posts
Hi guys,
can I connect a 585 AVR through a non ARC/eARC HDMI port of the TV?
The upcoming Sony X900H will have just two HDMI 2.1 ports and I need them for PC and PS5.

Thanks for your answer.
M_C
Because AVR doesn't support 4k 120, VRR and ALLM (HDMI 2.1), so I need to connect PC and PS5 directly to the TV.
sure you can but the TV won't send audio back to the AVR. You need the ARC port on the TV for that or you'll have to use the optical output on the TV for audio back to the AVR.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'll spend some time today doing A-B comparisons and try to eliminate the problem. But since the new DVR box is doing the same thing as the original one did I don't think it is the DVR box. I kept the original cables as well so the only two variables in this scenario are the new receiver and the new DVR box.

Funny how twenty years ago I almost enjoyed trouble shooting like this. Now I really don't like it.

OTOH, I did a firmware update yesterday so maybe that fixed something. Time will tell.

Thanks.

NC

Yeah, if you got a new DVR box then try replacing the cable and / or plugging it into a different HDMI port on the receiver.
^^^Could be a problem with the Comcast Box or you need to replace the HDMI cable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'll spend some time today doing A-B comparisons and try to eliminate the problem. But since the new DVR box is doing the same thing as the original one did I don't think it is the DVR box. I kept the original cables as well so the only two variables in this scenario are the new receiver and the new DVR box.

Funny how twenty years ago I almost enjoyed trouble shooting like this. Now I really don't like it.

OTOH, I did a firmware update yesterday so maybe that fixed something. Time will tell.

Thanks.

NC

I have the RX-V583 (new) for the downstairs HTS and the RX-A780 for the upstairs HTS. Both have Comcast running thru them with zero issues. I have no need to record shows or watch anything other than network broadcasts so I use the legacy Comcast STB which is HD only (1080p) because that's all that networks broadcasts in. Streaming is done thru an ATV4 and an ATV4k which also goes thru the Yamaha receivers. No issues. Take a closer look at your settings and try disabling Deep Color if you can and see if that makes a difference.

1901 - 1920 of 2087 Posts