AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4204 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These models are Yamaha's step up from the 467/567. All evidence points to a welcome increase in the size of the power supply transformer. Compare the 667 to the 665. The 667 is 4.4 pounds more with the same cabinet size and has a higher power consumption. Good news, IMO.

RX-V667 Rated power

*****

7.1; 90 Watts / Channel; 0.08% THD from 20-20 kHz

Power Consumption - 400 Watts/500 VA

Weight - 23.1 pounds

RX-V767 Rated power

*****

I still can't find exact specs. Will post as soon as I get them.

Common Main Features


* 6 HDMI 1.4 Inputs

* Decoding for all common codecs ( TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.)

* 5 AV inputs ( composite)

* Two digital; two coax inputs

* Audio return channel

* 2 Component video inputs

* HDMI 3D Support

* Can change inputs in standbye mode! (Nice feature if it works like I expect)

* Auto Power Down (Interesting feature?)

* Analog to HDMI (with 1080p upscaling)

* HDMI to HDMI upscaling

RX-V767 Features only

* (Research needed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
So in terms of firmware upgradability what is expected?? Does yamaha releases regular firmwares for this range of receivers???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18813831


* HDMI to HDMI upscaling

This raises a bit of a red flag. Depending on how it's configured, the ability to pass HDMI video untouched could be effected. IOW, you might have to choose between scaling all video or none instead of just scaling the analog inputs.


Considering the difference in size and weight, I find it hard to believe that the 667 and 767 will have the same amp sections. I'm assuming that the 767 is the same as the 765 in size/weight.


Edits:


V665: 17.2 X 6 X 14.4 / 18.7#

V765: 17.2 X 6.75 X 14.4 / 24.3#

V667: 17.2 X 6 X 14.4 / 23.1#

V767: 17.2 X 6.75 X 14.4 / 24.6#
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RD. I had not done my homework carefully enough. So what it looks they did, on the 667, was to cram a bigger power supply transformer in it, while keeping the same cabinet size.


I think someone at Yamaha must have noticed that people are not dumb. I sometimes think some CE employees get the idea they can skimp on power supply and no one will notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18820637


This raises a bit of a red flag. Depending on how it's configured, the ability to pass HDMI video untouched could be effected. IOW, you might have to choose between scaling all video or none instead of just scaling the analog inputs.

Just like previous models, Pure Direct should solve that. Or use the OSD to disable video upscaling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18813831

Common Main Features


* HDMI to HDMI upscaling

As far as I can make out neither of these can upscale HDMI, they only upscale analogue inputs.


Also the main point of the 767 appears to be


2 HDMI ouputs with proper matrix switching, which means I can ditch my external matrix switcher.


and a tad more power per channel


I'm thinking of getting one to replace my Panasonic XR55, then I just need an Oppo and I can make wife friendly Blu-ray player
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will re-read the manual and try to come to terms with the scaling feature. I remember reading something in the manual which made me think HDMI to HDMI scaling was possible.


I have been wrong before though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle /forum/post/18863301


As far as I can make out neither of these can upscale HDMI, they only upscale analogue inputs.

They can upscale HDMI, but only for 480-line input resolution (scaling to 720p or 1080p). This is listed in the 667 specs. on the Yamaha web site. Not being able to upscale 720p to 1080p doesn't seem like a bit limitation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
 http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De..._items=5117354


567 has no 8-channel input according to this (the comparisons feature has been known to be wrong before)

The 667 has two more HDMI inputs

The 567 has no component video upscaling or HDMI upscaling

The 567 has no zone output

The 567 has no pre outs

The 567 is 4.5 pounds lighter, but has the same cabinet size - it's less powerful, in other words (you can also look at it's power consumption as a comparison)


In my opinion, the 667 is the better value for $120 more MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger /forum/post/18874497


RX-V767 from the UK website:
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...?mode=overview


7x145W @ 1kHz, but not sure what the power is 20-20,000...

Warning: Quote contains BritSpellings...

Quote:
From the RX-V767 NPB - General model...


Audio Section

____________________

Maximum Output Power (for Europe, 4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD)

Front L/R Channels 145 W + 145 W

Centre Channel 145 W

Surround L/R Channels 145 W + 145 W

Surround Back Channels 145 W + 145 W

____________________

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08% THD)

Front Channels 95 W + 95 W

Centre Channel 95 W

Surround Channels 95 W + 95 W

Surround Back Channels 95 W + 95 W

____________________

Maximum Power (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD)

Front L/R Channels 135 W + 135 W

Centre Channel 135 W

Surround L/R Channels 135 W + 135 W

Surround Back Channels 135 W + 135 W

____________________

Dynamic Power/Channel (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/165/195/240 W

____________________

Frequency Response (AV5, Front L/R) 10 Hz-100 kHz +0, -3 dB

____________________

Total Harmonic Distortion (AV5, Pure Direct, Front Sp Out) 0.06% (20 Hz-20 kHz, 50 W/8 ohms)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18813831


These models are Yamaha's step up from the 467/567. All evidence points to a welcome increase in the size of the power supply transformer. Compare the 667 to the 665. The 667 is 4.4 pounds more with the same cabinet size and has a higher power consumption. Good news, IMO.

RX-V667 Rated power

*****

7.1; 90 Watts / Channel; 0.08% THD from 20-20 kHz

Power Consumption - 400 Watts/500 VA

Weight - 23.1 pounds

RX-V767 Rated power

*****

I still can't find exact specs. Will post as soon as I get them.

Common Main Features


* 6 HDMI 1.4 Inputs

* Decoding for all common codecs ( TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.)

* 5 AV inputs ( composite)

* Two digital; two coax inputs

* Audio return channel

* 2 Component video inputs

* HDMI 3D Support

* Can change inputs in standbye mode! (Nice feature if it works like I expect)

* Auto Power Down (Interesting feature?)

* Analog to HDMI (with 1080p upscaling)

* HDMI to HDMI upscaling

RX-V767 Features only

* (Research needed)

400 watts... very nice receiver but not looking forward to a return to the days when I turned on my receiver and all my lights dimmed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/18889783


400 watts... very nice receiver but not looking forward to a return to the days when I turned on my receiver and all my lights dimmed...

Actually, that has little to do with the size of the amp. It's caused by the lack of a delay - I forget the technical term - in the amp's switching in. AVRs use a relay that switches in the amp after it's powered up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18890209


Actually, that has little to do with the size of the amp. It's caused by the lack of a delay - I forget the technical term - in the amp's switching in. AVRs use a relay that switches in the amp after it's powered up.

Inrush current may be the phrase you are thinking of.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18831142


Thanks RD. I had not done my homework carefully enough. So what it looks they did, on the 667, was to cram a bigger power supply transformer in it, while keeping the same cabinet size.


I think someone at Yamaha must have noticed that people are not dumb. I sometimes think some CE employees get the idea they can skimp on power supply and no one will notice.

With the 665 being one of the big let downs of last year, is good to see yamaha is putting real power back into it's entry level AVRs. Preamp outs are alot cheaper than a real power supply, but the new yamaha I bet still will only pump out 20 to 30 of real RMS power with all channels driven, but thats still alot better than the wimpy 665
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18890240


With the 665 being one of the big let downs of last year, is good to see yamaha is putting real power back into it's entry level AVRs. Preamp outs are alot cheaper than a real power supply, but the new yamaha I bet still will only pump out 20 to 30 of real RMS power with all channels driven, but thats still alot better than the wimpy 665

Can you please explain how an all channel driven test is an indication of real RMS power? When would you drive all channels into clipping in a real world listening scenario? The Yamaha RX-V667 stacks up quite well to the Denon's (which you are a fanboy of) this year. 2 more HDMI inputs on the Yamaha. 2 component inputs and one component output (compared to the 1 component in of the 1911) 4 digital inputs on the Yamaha instead of 2 on the 1911.


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Price being equal, is this likely to be a better option than a Denon AVR-2310CI? My Onkyo TX-SR606 has been acting up and I'm going to replace it, but I have very little experience buying these products.


Differences in audio quality aren't really a concern, my primary concerns are video quality, five or more HDMI inputs, two or more components inputs, and reliability.


Sorry if I'm asking a complete noob question, or one that's been answered a hundred times, I'm just under a bit of pressure to make a decision quickly to take advantage of a sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith /forum/post/18893875


Can you please explain how an all channel driven test is an indication of real RMS power? When would you drive all channels into clipping in a real world listening scenario? The Yamaha RX-V667 stacks up quite well to the Denon's (which you are a fanboy of) this year. 2 more HDMI inputs on the Yamaha. 2 component inputs and one component output (compared to the 1 component in of the 1911) 4 digital inputs on the Yamaha instead of 2 on the 1911.


Mark

There is no perfect test, IMO of power. The reason why ACD is nice to have, is to compare two receivers, both spec'd really similar at say, around 100x7 watts. One might have double the power when you look at ACD. For example, one might be 25x7 the other 50x7. That does make a difference in real world power, IMO.


Or you could compare weights, cabinet sizes and power consumption to get an idea.


One measurement I think can be very misleading is stereo only power. Most receivers will meet their specs in that category, so what does it tell you? Not much, IMO. Two 100x7 watt receivers may both hit 100x2 watts. But one might be significantly better when watching a movie.


One other thing. If you ever use 7 channel stereo, some anemic 100x7 watt receiver which puts out 25 or less watts with seven channels driven may not meet your expecactions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyeballs /forum/post/18895391


Price being equal, is this likely to be a better option than a Denon AVR-2310CI? My Onkyo TX-SR606 has been acting up and I'm going to replace it, but I have very little experience buying these products.


Differences in audio quality aren't really a concern, my primary concerns are video quality, five or more HDMI inputs, two or more components inputs, and reliability.


Sorry if I'm asking a complete noob question, or one that's been answered a hundred times, I'm just under a bit of pressure to make a decision quickly to take advantage of a sale.

One thing to consider is that the Yamaha has pre-outs for connecting an external amplifier (if your current speakers need more power, should you ever want to upgrade speakers or add more speakers).
 
1 - 20 of 4204 Posts
Top