AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Download the Yamaha AV Controller app for iOS or Android. You can edit the inputs to only display those you want. I don't think you can reorder them. Or ... use the remote. :)

So far's I know there are no "input skips" functions on Yamaha front panels.
Don't think I've touched my Yamaha remote for a year. I use the AV Android app almost daily. Mainly for zone 2 outdoors with Pandora, but anytime I play a dvd indoors.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yamaha receiver bluetooth transmitter problems

Hi all,

I have a Yamaha RX-V681 receiver connected to my TV. It has various devices connected via HDMI. During the daytime I use a 5.1 speaker setup, but at night I'd like to use headphones instead. This is pretty easy to do with wired headphones, but I'd like to eliminate the headphone cable if possible.

I setup the Yamaha receiver to transmit bluetooth audio to Avantree Aptx bluetooth headphones ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI ). This was pretty simple since the receiver has bluetooth transmission builtin. I've found when it works correctly, it is great. However, the audio lags and cuts out sometimes. I've tried a few different headphones over the last two months and have received similar results on all of them, which makes me think the problem is the Yamaha bluetooth transmitter. This leads me to want to try a different bluetooth transmitter.

I've found a few bluetooth transmitters which are known to work well with minimal lag and I can connect them with RCA inputs or a 3.5mm jack. The RX-V681 has Zone2 RCA outputs, but according to the manual it apparently only works for analog input signals - which I'd expect to not work with my HDMI inputs. Alternatively, I could connect a bluetooth transmitter to the headphone output on the amp, but that would require me to get up and plugin/remove the transmitter to turn on/off bluetooth everytime I wanted to switch back to regular speakers. It also has zone2 speaker wire outputs which I'm not using for anything - could I use these in some way for bluetooth transmission?

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get bluetooth headphones working seamlessly with this receiver? One of the reasons I bought this receiver was it had bluetooth transmission built in, so it is pretty frustrating that I'm running into problems with it.

TLDR: How can I hookup an external bluetooth transmitter to my Yamaha RX-V681 which works for both analog and digital sources? Alternatively, how do I make the receiver's builtin bluetooth transmitter not lag/cut out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Quick question. Just started watching Westworld 4k DVDs. My 581 is displaying "Dolby TrueHD". Other disks will show Atmos. Says Dolby TrueHD-Atmos on the sleeve. They one in the same?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quick question. Just started watching Westworld 4k DVDs. My 581 is displaying "Dolby TrueHD". Other disks will show Atmos. Says Dolby TrueHD-Atmos on the sleeve. They one in the same?

Set the mode to straight. That will let you play the native audio format of the source. TrueHD is not Atmos, TrueHD is lossless, Atmos in a TrueHD container is lossless object-based 3D audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have the 581 model; great AVR value at $299 for 681 series

Reactions: Bchaney

·
Registered
236 Posts
The 6 series has more HMDI outputs than the 5 series, but why does it have only three HDCP 2.0 outputs compared to the four available on the 5 series? This was a huge disappointment to me.

Also, does anyone know how to disable the AVR internal wallpaper so there is a black screen displayed (no grey screen or piano photo)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Don’t be surprised if mods stomp on some of these posts. The forum rules have changed so street prices must be posted in the approved “deals” thread(s). Just an FYI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently started listening to Amazon Music. I have connected my Echo Dot to my RX-V681 via a bluetooth connection. I have full Alexa functionality choosing artists and playlists on Amazon Music Unlimited with this configuration. However, I would prefer to have an Amazon input option on my RX-V681 as I do for Pandora, Spotify, Napster, SiriusXM, Tidal and Deezer (whatever the hell the last 2 are). This would be better than relying on a bluetooth connection.

I am running firmware 1.31 which is the latest. If Yamaha saw fit to add Tidal and Deezer to the last firmware update, hopefully they will add Amazon Music soon to the next update. Anyone else hoping for this too?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is anyone else's v81 receiver extremely picky about usb drives when updating firmware? Had to try 4 or 5 of them today before I found one that didn't give a "DEVICE ERROR" message at first "VERIFYING" step of process.

Finally found an old slow 2GB PNY thumb drive that worked, and all's well.

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is anyone else's v81 receiver extremely picky about usb drives when updating firmware? Had to try 4 or 5 of them today before I found one that didn't give a "DEVICE ERROR" message at first "VERIFYING" step of process.

Finally found an old slow 2GB PNY thumb drive that worked, and all's well.

:D
Any thoughts about the difference between the Vx83 line and the Vx81 lines? Kind of hard to tell the differences but I notice the newer 83 line is cheaper than the 81 line? Is the 81 line more premium but less features?

Looking for the best 4K receiver for my Xbox One X HDR Gaming and Movie viewing on my LG OLED B7A

Cheers,
BR

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any thoughts about the difference between the Vx83 line and the Vx81 lines? Kind of hard to tell the differences but I notice the newer 83 line is cheaper than the 81 line? Is the 81 line more premium but less features?

Looking for the best 4K receiver for my Xbox One X HDR Gaming and Movie viewing on my LG OLED B7A

Cheers,
BR
Where are you seeing the the 83 line cheaper than the 81? I just bought a RX-V681 for $300 less than the 683 model on a Black Friday sale and the 681 is regularly $150 less than the 683. I went for the 681 because I could not find any improvement of the 683 over the 681. Just hoping they will follow thru and add the Dolby Vision pass through.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where are you seeing the the 83 line cheaper than the 81? I just bought a RX-V681 for $300 less than the 683 model on a Black Friday sale and the 681 is regularly $150 less than the 683. I went for the 681 because I could not find any improvement of the 683 over the 681. Just hoping they will follow thru and add the Dolby Vision pass through.
RX-V681 $299

RX-V383 $279

I know the 681 is 7.1 and the 383 is 5.1 and for me that is not an issue but I'm wondering if the over-all tech is newer and better?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hm,... apples, oranges, the apples seem cheaper, are they worse than oranges? :D

Bob, the 681 and 383 are not comparable in feature set, a quick comparison on teh Yamaha site will show you that. if the 861 is only $20 more, then get it. I believe that model may be getting Dolby Vision support via firmware update, and will certainly have a strong feature list, and more flexibility. Check the product pages and search this thread for "Dolby Vision."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hm,... apples, oranges, the apples seem cheaper, are they worse than oranges? :D

Bob, the 861 and 383 are not comparable in feature set, a quick comparison on teh Yamaha site will show you that. if the 861 is only $20 more, then get it. I believe that model may be getting Dolby Vision support via firmware update, and will certainly have a strong feature list, and more flexibility. Check the product pages and search this thread for "Dolby Vision."
Fair enough! I'm just skeptical about these promised firmware upgrades and implementation. I have a Onkyo SR-875 and the HQV Reon Implementation was piss-poor and the firmware updates were far and few between.

This is why I'm leaning towards products that have Dolby Vision implemented already.

541 - 560 of 870 Posts