AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my usual routine this morning - cup of coffee- checked out AVSForum - checked out Dell order status - 12/27. Got to work and a couple hours later FedEx Express showed up with 1 of 2 packages, TH-42pwd4uy, wall mount due on Monday.

Here's the scary part - unlike freight shipments - Delivery guy would NOT let me inspect contents until after I signed for it. Cardboard box had a gash in corner, otherwise looked ok. So I had him make note in his electronic clipboard thingy about container damage, and took delivery.

Pulled of top of box and glass looks Ok, whew!!! My problem is I'm not ready for this, yet. I need to get signal into it ASAP, but may not be until wee hours of the night. Wonder if I can run pc into it to check for operations, color, pixels etc? I have nothing else here at work to try out. (It's a my custom woodwork shop).

Stay tuned, Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brucer,

Dell is on a roll..I ordered my 42" Panny and desk stand on 10/25/01 (at the 20% off price). Chris Newby gave me an estimated ship date of 01/08/02 which was not firm and he led me to believe it would slip. This morning same as you, I checked the shipping status and there was no change. At 3:00PM local, for the fun of it I checked again and surprise, surprise. Both items shipped today and they gave me tracking numbers for Fed Ex. I was almost ready to cancel. How do I tell my wife that Christmas comes in November??

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK!

I did the typical out of the box, set it up on styrofoam make shift base, lean against the wall, hooked up RP56 via component adaptors....

Very quiet!

Could not detect any dead pixels, so far!

Everything looks extemely good!

Watched 'Final Fantasy' , 'Toy Story', and a little 'Star Wars'(latest)

Haven't adjusted much of anything yet.

There is definitely a sweet spot viewing distance at a little farther back than I was thinking. Tape measure shows big difference to my eyes from 8' moving back to 9' or 9.5'. Even a little sharper at greater distances but then you start to lose 'size' of screen.

I noticed a very thin slightly light horizontal band at top of screen on 'Star Wars' maybe only one or two pixels high???

Lots of punch in colors, vivid - reds - blues - greens.

I have seen recent posts that some are not seeing much differences between RP56 interlaced vs. progressive. On 'Final Fantasy' I flipped between and saw considerable differences. Progressive mode provided more punch in colors (fuller looking) and especially in darker scenes all shades of grey and blacks looked richer, interlaced looked almost washed out, somewhat!

All for now - Bruce

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a replacement for my original Panny 42 (which arrived in early Sept and buzzed like a mad bee). The same great picture and NO BUZZ! Another very happy customer of Paul at Projection One.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys-

I'm still curious why I'm seeing 1/8" to 1/4" tall lighter shaded horizontal bands at the top and bottom of image while displaying 2.35:1 Star Wars (letterbox). Am using Rp56 thru component inputs. Rp56 is set at 16:9.

Anyone got any idea?

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Have you adjusted the vertical size and position on the display yet? That should allow you to make the bars go away.

Mark

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rogo (Mark) -

Thanks for the reply-

I already tried that, and the affected areas just move along with the image. At my normal viewing distance of about 9 feet these bands (for lack of a better word) appear taller, but when I put my nose up to the screen it seems to be about 2 to 3 pixel rows high. The outer most rows (very top of image and very bottom of image) are displaying darker than normal, whereas the 2nd rows from top and bottom appear brighter than normal, 3rd row - maybe 1/2 way between 2nd row intensity and normal. It's only a subtle difference but at 9 feet away, it almost looks like a shadow band or something. It's present in Full or Zoom interlace or progressive, also.

?????

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

Any thoughts on what I'm seeing - am I the only one seeing this??

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bizarro, Bruce... I haven't even used DVD yet on my Panny, because I want to cry less when I send it back.

Mark

·
Registered
733 Posts
Brucer--

I was in Harvey's on 45th in NYC today and they have the new Pio 50" on display. It was playing Star Wars through a Sony progressive scan dvd player (9000ES). I could clearly see the bands you are referring to (just inside the letterbox at the top and bottom). Otherwise the pic looked fantastic.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dixon -

Thanks for the info -

It turns out it is not limited to Star Wars either - I noticed it on "Driven" and "Men in Black" also. I'm going to try switching things around to isolate whether it is DVD, Plasma, Connections whatever?, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go on a bunch of wild goose (geese) chases. I just haven't had time to persure it, yet.

I have yet to hear from someone with identical setup - either pro or con. I would have thought with the number of panny 42's and RP56's out there that I would get some kind of feedback.

Then again, maybe the long work days coupled with too much lacquer fumes are finally taking there toll!!!

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have now convinced myself that what I am seeing is in the plasma, not due to input devices. Different DVD players via different inputs (Video - Component) via different Disks, (Yosemite, etc.).

So now the question is - do I request a swap-out for replacement or not, or get it serviced (???) or what? I'm reluctant to swap it out, only to end up with possible dead pixels (

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was under the impression that very few movies are actually in 16:9 format (to my wife's horror). Many are in 2.35:1. You must stretch them vertically to fill a 16:9 screen.

I am sure there is tons of info in the archives on this.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jlegault-

I think you mis-understand what i'm trying to describe. It has nothing to do with the black bands top and bottom on 2.35:1 DVD. These observations are in the image portion of the display - ie. top 3 rows of pixels and bottom 3 rows of pixels that are active displaying the image. 'Yosemite is a 4:3' - others are 1:85 - I still see these 'things' on them - as well as on the 'White scroll bar' function.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
148 Posts
Brucer,

After reading you posts I just noticed this on my set. It seems like the 2 top and bottom line pixels are showing this. I didn't noticed it before as my viewing distance was about 10 ft. On my set I could only notice it when I'm within 2 feet of the unit.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeffreyw-

Thanks for your observations - now, at least I know I'm not halucinating.

Any others?

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brucer,

I received my 4uy on 11/7 (2 months earlier than Dell had originally estimated). Luckily it seems to be in perfect shape even though the box was punctured near the bottom. The Fed Ex delivery guy stayed and helped me take the display out of the box and together we inspected it for any damage outside, in direct sunlight. He let me watch him make the external damage report on his hand held. Then I signed for the delivery. Good experience.

The display has no dead pixels and the reported buzz is only a soft hum like a florescent light transformer. Not as loud as my audio amp cooling fan.

I cannot say I have seen your problem on mine except for once watching NTSC on a composite input from my VCR tuner. I was able to adjust that out with the vertical size. IMHO if the faulty display does not change when you change various inputs and sources and it is not an adjustment, then the problem is within the display. Good Luck....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.