AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in the battle of the under 50" HDTV budget sets, I am looking at the JVC AV48WP30 and the Panny PT-47WX49.

Both sets seem to have their proponents, however, I have not seen a comparison between the two. From my review of the forums, at first blush, it appears that at least properly calibrated it is hard to beat the Panny.

However, many folks have said that the JVC is the best under $2000 HDTV monitor.

This is going to be the center piece (and first purchase) of my new Home Theater setup.

Any advice?

Also, if I decide to go with the Panny, should I wait to buy the new Panny that is supposed to come out in June. Or should I snap up the old Panny at clearance prices.

Thanks!

Tim

(This is my first post, so be gentle!)

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

A reminder that no one has seriously calibrated the JVC set yet. The jury is out.

Regards

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That explains the lack of posts on the JVC unit.

Based upon my reviews of the many forums, it is my understanding that the new Panny will have a "new motion-adaptive 3D Y/C filter and a new 0.52mm lenticular screen (versus 0.72mm on the 49/51's)." Someone also said that the new Panny will have an enhanced progressive scan doubler, 10-bit 60MHz A/D conversion, Selectable On/Off velocity modulated scan, and other "improvements" that will improve NTSC pictures.

Any ideas whether these new features will dramatically improve the Panny?

I will likely be viewing DirecTV, DVD's and VHS.

Thx

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Judging from how other manufacturers do it ...

You can expect the changes in the Panasonic to be improvements in convenience ... rather than in the image department ... in terms of where it counts ... DVD and HD.

A finer pitch on the lenticular is nice but the weak link for visible resolution has never been the screen ...

The set simply won't do more than 1200 ish lines of horizontal resolution and an improved screen won't let you see more.

Like getting better tires on the car that can go to 160 mph ... but the engine limiter is set to 120 mph . So the original 140 mph tires work just fine.

Regards

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice analogy.

Now with the RPTV, how do you improve on the DirecTV reception. I understand that you are greatly limited by the signal coming into the TV. However, much of my viewing will be from Direct TV (both HD and regular viewing). Is there anyway to judge a RPTV on how it will process the DirecTV feed?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Compressed Satellite is going to look like utter crap on any HDTV. Believe it or not, analog RPTV's will make satellite look better.

If you sit 8 to 10 ft away, it's OK. Any closer and the flaws scream at you. Don't blame the TV. Blame DirecTV and DISH for compressing the hell out of the signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fully agree with the above comment.

Now that I have DirecTV connected to the JVC and I compare the picture to when I had it connected to analog cable, cable picture was better. However, all depends of the signal; after S/V HT Tune-up, i- and p-DVD looks gorgeous and HD feeds (HDnet and HBOHD) simply great.

When I was watching regular TV and VHS in my old 27" Sony I longed for the HDTV. Now that I have it (it appears that my JVC set came with no bugs so far...!) the problem is the signal quality!!

I'll be installing antenna for OTA reception soon.

Cheers from the Bay Area

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm....so you believe that regular OTA reception will look better on your HDTV than either cable or DirectTV?

Now I have something new to consider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.