AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my Denon 3802 for about a year now and am trying to finish up some speaker rewiring. im running a 5.1 system with banana plugs into the back of the receiver. because of all the construction, my rear surrounds have been unplugged a while.

previously, i sometimes had some difficulty making a good connection for my rear left speaker. i usually just blamed it on a bad speaker wire connection into the banana plug and a little jiggle in the back of the receiver would get the speaker going again. well now I've connected everything up and it appears the left rear output of the receiver is not working AT ALL!! i have tried switching the plugs to the right rear and the speaker works just fine.

At first i thought maybe there was a loose connection in my receiver output plugs so I tried switching to the Surround B outs. After turning them on in the setup menu, I get output to the right rear but still not to the left rear!!

Lastly, I measured the voltage output of the speaker ports. the right rears is reading 3.5mV on both Surround A&B ports. but the left rear output port is reading 12.3mV on both Surround A&B?

This is very worrysome to me. My initial thought was that the intermittent problems i was having on that port was a bad component in the receiver getting ready to go out OR i did have a poor connection and the constant in and out load caused a component to fail?

Does anyone know how i can diagnose or fix this problem....Im really bummed right now!!!

-paul

·
Registered
576 Posts
If it's under warranty (meaning you bought it from an authorized dealer), I'd contact Denon. Otherwise, you would have to take it for repair at some shop that works on Denon products. It appears you have already tested it and it's "broke". Not sure what other test you can do.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i bought the receiver used and not from an "authorized dealer". Even if i had, i believe i am past the 1 year warranty period. can anyone give me some recommendations how to diagnose and repair the bad channel?

-paul

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to follow up in case people ever search this thread. i have determined that it is probably some sort of bad solder contact in the receiver. i realized this when the speaker port started working again and i was playing around with the receiver. it went off. i finally figure out that if i slightly lift

the back corner of the receiver off the ground, the speaker port starts to play. If i set the corner back down, it cuts out. i may try to go in later with

an ohmeter or something and figure out which component it is...

-paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.