AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day it was working fine, the next day it wouldn't read any disk.

The manual says that if the unit displays 'H' followed by two numbers that I should reset the dvd by turning it off and or unplugging the AC cord. If the numbers fail to clear, to note the numbers and contact a qualified service person.

The error is 'H02'.

Does anyone know what the '02' stands for? and how do I fix it without wasting lots of money on a service person?

Help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't post links, so here's what I did

Here's how I found the information:

- Go to Google

- Search for "Panasonic RP82 h02" with no quotes

- Click on first link (Home Theater SPOT!)

- Scroll down to the correct post

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have an eaiser idea!! Perform a search under my name! =)

The H02 does refer one of two things and you do need to verify which one is it.

Sango

·
Registered
73 Posts
Johnny

This is a spindle motor failure.. This happened to my 82.. I had the spindle motor AND laser pickup replaced for under $120.... If you need the name of the repair shop email me.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The RP82 had a defective spindle motor design that eventually fails after a year or so as yours apparently did. The later Faroudja-based models (XP30 and XP50) fixed that problem however.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Frank:

We do need to make sure that the H02 is the spindle. Since I do have the the SVC Manual, it doesn't specify what is the failure. However for the H07, the manual saids the spindle motor is the failure. As I've seen, H02 and refer to spindle, optical or both.

When I had my RP56 sent off to repair (I have a thread about this), both the optical and spindle went bad after the 1st year and then I managed to nurse it until teh 2nd year when it gotten to the point that it wouldnt read discs properly anymore. Luckily this unit in the suffering stages never gave an error code except for "No Play" when it really gave up after a minute of trying to read a disc.

After the repair, the unit is just like new again. I've also calibrated the unit too as well as updating the firmware.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your advice and quick responses guys...

US$120 sounds like a lot of money to fix... I wonder if I should just buy a dvd player with DVI output....?

·
Banned
168 Posts
Jonny5nz, is the warranty for the RP82 still valid? If it is, you do not have to pay for the repairs.

After two years owning it, I am fortunate that my unit did not have the H02 problem.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been just over a year, and I imported mine from Australia, since they didn't sell this particular model in New Zealand.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Hi Johnnynz:

R4 version I presume, so it must have the 220/120v on it.

Not to worry since they use the same parts inside except for the mainboard because yours has the universal power input. Technically you can make the unit into an R1 version by purchasing the US MB and swapping it out. The other is to get the US daughterboard since the R4 version is missing the DSP chip which the R1 has. My R3 unit is also missing the same DSP chip as well.

Well back, to what I wanted to say. The replacement for optical is $46.65 and spindle is $35.60. If you want to repair it yourself, you can save money on the labor. The unit may need to be recalibrated to optimize the optical pick up's readability after the repair.

Sango

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you recalibrate? You don't something simple like putting an Avia dvd in do you?

Also, where would I buy these parts from?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
You can buy the parts from the Panasonic Panasonic Parts site .

For the unit to be recalibrated, you have to adjust the tilt adjustments, which requires the use of a special disc in order to perform this procedure properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.