Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out with

Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry!

Now that I have that out of the way .. I need to drudge up this topic once more with a rather specific spin. I am fully versed in all of the standard responses in terms of comparisons so Id like to just keep the focus on a very specific set of circumstances.

Lets take price out of the equation right now, as well as nuiances between brands. Lets imagine that there are only two plasma displays in the world, the 42" panny ed and hd. And everyone on the planet is entitles to one or the other for free, there is no price difference.

If a person's viewing habits were 60% DVD, 30% HD and only 10% SD - using your real world experience viewing both sets with different sources which would you suggest that person choose?

Judging by my own research, since 60% of the viewing would be dvd - the prevailing opinion is that the ED does dvd better than the HD panel and that should be the way to go. I guess what I am afraid of is a situation where it only does dvd a TINY TINY bit better, and does HD better, but these facts have been muddied due to also bringing price/performance and other factors into the equation - resulting in possibly the wrong decision based on the specific scenario.

So - anyone who has seen dvd's specifically on both .. preferably side by side - what do you think?

- pink

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Given a free and open choice, HD every time. DVD does look a touch better on the ED model, but it's mostly in the brilliance of the picture (IMHO). Plus, HDDVD is not too far around the bend.

My 2 cents... Right now, the only reason to go with ED (and the reason I am) is bang for the buck. It's almost as good as the HD, but for a good chunk of change less. End of story. If they were the same price, HD wins every time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would take the HD. The Panasonic 20U ED "screen door" effect is very

visible to me at 7'.

Do most people get used to the visible pixel grid ? Is my eyesight too

critical ?

Don

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_C

critical ?

Don
I would say yes. Move further away from your plasma, say 10". If you can see the grid from 10" you are a freak of nature. Oh, and HD will not help you that much...

Andrzej

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink
Let me start out with

Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry!

- pink
Apology accepted.

Even with a price difference, I still pick HD.

2 years ago, there were numerous debates on 4x3 versus 16x9. Now this. If you are really interested in HDTV, reading this forum, posting in this forum, then you go all the way. Not half way.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888
Apology accepted.

Even with a price difference, I still pick HD.

2 years ago, there were numerous debates on 4x3 versus 16x9. Now this. If you are really interested in HDTV, reading this forum, posting in this forum, then you go all the way. Not half way.
Hmm. And what's wrong in doing it step-by-step?

Anyway, it has been said on this forum many times - the number of pixels is only one of several components determining your visual experience. And the only essential difference between the HD model and the ED model is the number of pixels.

Andrzej

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hmm... that is a VERY interesting hypothetical situation. Can I upgrade to the HD model in 5 years? Because if your viewing is 60% DVD then the SD model would look pretty darned good provided you are at least 9 feet away...

Ok I give up, I'd take the HD model. No need to upgrade later that way, DVD still looks darned good, and HD-DVD will look even better... but I will have to "suffer" (lol) with SD looking upscaled.

Taking cost out of the factor makes a pretty big difference. But in the real world, cost is a HUGE factor for me picking between the two. In my situation I would prefer the EDTV because that's all I watch, but if in a parellel dimension the HDTV models were CHEAPER I'd be all over them.

Dreamaster

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don_C
I would take the HD. The Panasonic 20U ED "screen door" effect is very

visible to me at 7'.

critical ?

Don
I can see pixel structure on my 27" TV. At the same distance though, I don't really notice it as much on a 42" ED. It's there, but no more annoying than any other display I look at. For the record, I'm basing this 100% on the 5 series as I haven't had much chance to look at the 6s in depth. Still, the effect should be the same.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamaster
Hmm... that is a VERY interesting hypothetical situation. Can I upgrade to the HD model in 5 years?
That's what I plan to do (although probably in less than 5 years). I will move my ED Panny to our master bedroom (relegating our 27" Phillips to the guest bedroom) and I will buy whatever is available at that time (not necessarily plasma) and represents the best deal in my particular situation. That way, my guest bedroom, my master bedroom, and my family room all get upgrades. :D

Andrzej

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Easy decision. Go with the HD.

I believe most people with be watching a higher percentage of HD is the very near future. In my case - I started getting HD early this spring when Comcast first offered the service in the Boston area. Originally I had ABC, NBC, PBS and HBO. Shortly later they added ESPN. As of last week I also have NESN, INHD1, INHD2 - Fox's HD version. Showtime is also available. Up to 10 channels. (The big missing piece is CBS.)

I agree with the poster who said just 2 years ago that we were debating 4x3 vs. 16:9. Now it is almost a certainty that you will get a 16:9 display.

Now add price into the equation and as usual it gets muddied. Today you can get a great ED display for well under $4K while an HD display can cost 2-3 times that amount. Some "smart price conscious" buyers may opt of an ED display today and an HD display 2 years from now - when it is possible (or probable?) to get an HD display for the same money as an ED display today.

Oh - and the ED display can always find a home in the bedroom, den or somewhere else.:)

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Would go HD for 60% DVD, 30% HD and 10% SD - Given your hypothetical "free" Panny.

(I bought the ED - cause I ddin't get it free:) and watch about 50% SD)

This one was easy for me to answer. The Panny IMHO - is much better on SD than most displays of any type in this size range and higher that I have seen. But that is only 10% of your viewing...so would not be a major consideration.

HD is better on the HD set IMHO, not tons beter - but better.

And DVD is so close that I go back and forth. However, DVI to a true HD might make a bigger difference (one to one pixel mapping etc). Not convinced, but a theory.

So give it's free, and your viewing for me the decision is EASY!

Therese

·
Registered
242 Posts
Definitely SD.

HD content looks better on HD display. 30%

SD content looks way better on ED display. 10% HD displays bring out the flaws in SD material more so that ED displays.

DVD content looks better on ED display. 60%

Ultimately, HD content looks better on ED displays than does SD/ED content on HD displays.

All being equal, I would choose what works best most of the time. Using your own viewing habit, ED would work bettter 70% of the time.

If it looks good, and it feels good, specs don't matter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input so far.

Hamlyn -

I agree to a point - which is why I'm still even considering the ED display .. but if the consensus turns out that dvd viewing is a lot closer to equal than a clear sd advantage .. that spec goes out the window and we are left with 30% hd vs 10% (or less) sd -- where winner would be HD.

ARGH!

- pink

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:
2 years ago, there were numerous debates on 4x3 versus 16x9. Now this.
HDTV888,

IMHO, there would be no discussion if:

- the sets had the same price

- the HDTV set had 2 million pixels not 1 million

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your viewing habits will change after you start watching HDTV. You will find yourself seeking out more HDTV programming and not watching as many SD shows or sporting events in SD. I've also noticed that we watch fewer DVDs since we've been receiving HDTV.

By the way, Mit07 made the following statement:

Quote:
Today you can get a great ED display for well under $4K while an HD display can cost 2-3 times that amount.
Somewhat misleading. I spent less than $4,000 for my HD plasma (1,024 X 768).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Going back to the 2 year old 4x3 vs 16x9 analogy:

People are reluctant to change ..... I still watch mostly 80% SD, so I want a 4x3, and suffer the 10% DVD, 10% HD viewing with letterboxing, wasting a whole bunch of scan lines. 4x3's were cheaper than 16x9's then, so I go half way and watch HD on my 4x3 HD.

Now 4x3 hd's are pretty much dead. People will laugh at that ugly square box 4x3 hd!

Now ED vs HD:

People are reluctant to change again ..... I still watch 60% DVD at 480p, 20% HD @ 1080i, so I only need a ED, wasting the very thing that makes HD so great, the sharp details, watching Mark Cuban's 1080i Bikini models on 480p. ED's are cheaper than HD's, so I go half way and watch HD on my ED...

As time go by, there will be more and more HD's, slowly replacing the 480p DVD's. DVD's will become garbage, just like the 4x3 SD ........ may be one day people will laugh at your ED, just like that ugly square box ???

·
Registered
476 Posts
mr pink

Editors of the The Perfect Vision magazine believe DVD-HD is "around the corner."

Once it comes out, you may be sorry you bought ED set.

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSer
mr pink

Editors of the The Perfect Vision magazine believe DVD-HD is "around the corner."

Once it comes out, you may be sorry you bought ED set.

Mike
Mike,

could you elaborate please? How is HD-DVD going to make the ED owners feel sorry? So far they enjoy 1080i and 720p HDTV material as much as the owners of HD sets. So?

Andrzej

·
Registered
476 Posts
Andrzej,

Mr Pink wrote:
Quote:
If a person's viewing habits were 60% DVD, 30% HD and only 10% SD
With DVD-HD discs available, his HD-viewing % would become very high.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.