AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have local places to audition different speaker sets... can only rely on you smart people to help me decide

12x15 room, high sloped ceiling with 1 wall open. Will be powered by an older yamaha 5.1 but will probably upgrade later. Will be used 90% for tv/movies.

I would like to keep pricing at $400 or less and size does matter. Need them to be as discrete as possible as they will be wall mounted. I have it narrowed down to 3 sets:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...02-hcs-5-black - Jamo A102 HCS

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p21soJB...Micro-5-1.html - Energy Rc-Micro

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Sound...stem-P385.aspx - Boston Acoustics Soundware XS

I'm leaning towards the Energy's because of the opinions I've read. The Boston's are better looks wise, as they come in white and some will be corner mounted which would be nice with them. But of corse the real question is how they sound. Any of those 3 I should just forget about.. or any other small 5.1's in that price range I'm overlooking?

Again, I can't demo any of these, so any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Are you looking for 5 speakers under $400 or two? That makes a huge difference.

Satellites only?

What's the model # of your Yammy receiver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for complete 5.1 setup for $400 or so. 2 main, 2 sats, cc and sub.

Yamaha is rx-v630 but as I mentioned, might upgrade it later if I'm not happy with it.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigton /forum/post/18314146

Yamaha is rx-v630 but as I mentioned, might upgrade it later if I'm not happy with it.

If you want all that for $400 your current AVR will be fine as it won't be the weakest link (the speakers will be)..if later you upgrade speakers to something higher end...then you may want to consider upgrading to something with Pre-outs so you can use exteranl amps. If your room is small and you're not picky you may be able to satisfy your thirst at that price. But it will basically be a nice HTIB quality.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear the AVR will suit for now. Just having a real hard time pulling the trigger on the speakers.

As I said, I can't demo any of the ones I listed so I have to depend on you fine folks who have owned/heard these models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna cross the Boston's off the list.

So down to:

Jama a102 for $180 or...

Energy rc-micro for $400

So hard to decide when you can't hear them....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigton /forum/post/18319096

Jama a102 for $180
where?

Even when i add it to the cart, it says $299.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigton /forum/post/18314146

The receiver you have is not the weak link, and you won't have to upgrade it. You'll be upgrading speakers next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up grabbing the energy micros. Still waiting on mounts to arrive so I can start using them. From the opinions I've read about the system, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts