AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my ReplayTV 4516, kind of on the spur of the moment and not sure if I regret it yet (it's been only about 30 mins since the order went through)

I do have a question though, can I record DVD's onto the replay box directly from a DVD player instead of going through a comp. that strips the macrovision? I remember I saw a post somewhere that stated an addon to the box was available to bypass the protection, any one have any info or a name of the unit, many thx

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The 4000s (and presumably 4500s) will record MacroVision-protected content, but puts some limitations on the recordings:

1. they'll be output with MacroVision, so the 4000 can't be used as a MV stripper to record to videotape on a MV-detecting VCR

2. they can't be sent with the InternetVideoSharing features.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am looking to do is

record a dvd that I rent, just so I can bring it back the next time I leave the house and going on my passes history the ReplayTV should be paid for with a couple of months of late fees I pay blockbuster.

once it has been recorded I will be happy but can I then use swapdv to pull it onto my server, I just added an array and have mucho space to fill.

If it can do that it would save countless hours of ripping, I can't wait till I get it so I can see all its powers in person but just reading the abridged feature list was enough to get me to order it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Another issue with Macrovision is that component output (YPbPr) is Macrovision protected while VGA output is not. I can't figure out why one is protected and the other is not, but such is life (I have an SVGA line connected in addition to the component just in case I run across a problem--and so I can see the "Please Wait" message during boot-up).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so far so good, (have not played with it yet)

I just received notice that the unit was shipped. I ordered it yesterday but while I read the email with the shipping info from sonicblue I was also reading the manual from the replayTv. I paid for the next day air shipping and got it before they were able to update their tracking system, sweet -)

I didnt think I would have it for the weekend and now I have, cant wait to get it home and plug it in........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.