AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this quest in the HTPC forum with no success, my last hope is that this forum since its for crt users will come to my rescue. On my Marquee 8111 there seems to be ringing or a halo around the images, this is only noticeable with analog images digital images like Monsters Inc don't show it.

Im told that do to the fact that there 2d not having actual lines like analog or actual physical beings, the lines are more noticeable with further images, ones that are close to the front aren't so noticeable. This is not ghosting that I already made sure of. Is there something that could be done? Some say that the MIke Parker mod will eliminate the ringing, after talking to Mike I'm more confused than ever, he says the mod will eliminate the ringing but he can't guarantee it. I guess I understand where his is comeing from when he made that statement to me, he really dosen't know my system, there are different situation for everyone and thats understandable. Guys this starts to get very expensive after awhile, Im just being very cautious of how I spend the money if the mod willnot help then whats the use. Something interesting is that the ringing is only visible during playback, its not on the desktop or anything. Here is a description of my system just in case someone need the info. Pj Marquee 8111,HTPC P4 2.4g 533mhz fsb, 256k ddr memory 2100 speed, video card radeon 9700, philips 705 sound card, software are Theatertek with ffdshow (have tried it with it on and of no change), reclock for sound. Please help this is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sounds like the power cord, right guys. Just breaking your eggs.

Even if you got the MP card I hear it is money well spent, even if it does not clear up the problem. It would help if you described it better, does it show up everywhere, light dark images, different levels of contrast...

Deron.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
you forgot to mention how everything is hooked up, what kind of cabling, how long are the runs etc. This is along shot since the desktop is not affected BUT? I guess i'm one of the lucky ones, my system is very similar to yours and evrything ran perfectly the very first time with no gremlins at all. The only difference is you actually have a better CPU and I'm NOT running ffdshow. I was leary leary of this software because there seemed to be an endless number of posts about problems with it. If I was in your shoes I would un-install ffdshow and go from there. Start working backwards from where your at and you will find the problem. There's also a setting on TT that allows the TT to do the de-interlacing instead of the Radeon, might try toggling that on-off to see if there's anything wrong with the card.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the connection was tried, Hi end cables and so forth, the impedance issue was addressed and checked no it isn't cables. This problem followed to another monitor, it was a way to see if it was cables or just a hardware or software problem. The end result was that it showed up also on the other monitor with extremely short cables, like I mentioned I tried it with and without ffdshow, nothing it stayed the same. What causes this? This is what I mean, I have alot of money tied up in this system before I go and spend anymore money I have to make sure the try will work. As for when does it show the most, its most evident during mildly light seens but non the less you can see it at all times imiges that are closest aren't so visiable, if that makes any sence.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sounds stange to me to not have it on digital pictures, you should have it on any high contrast area if it's a cable issue, correct?

Is it edge enhancement you're seeing? Just a thought. EE is very evident on such a revealing system.

Wes

EDIT: I see it all the time on DVD but not on HDTV or HDTV from the PC. I also have an 8" Marquee

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay that mkes sence but is theer a way to reduce it, I like to eliminate it. EE I've read about this once but wasen't sure if thats what was happening with my movies. Is there an answer to this?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
There's still the question of the cabling:

- how long is the cable between the HTPC and the Marquee ?

- what brand of cable is it?

- what model is it?

If its EE, ffdshow may be the cause. I agree with the folks above, try to uninstall ffdshow and see if that cures it. You may also want to try the pure software deinterlacer in TheaterTek rather than the ATI and see if its the ATI that is causing you trouble.

Can you post a screen shot of this artifact to better explain what it is?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cable is 18' long made by stange I think its a hi-end cable gold plated tips and 75ohms impedence match. I revoved ffdshow and no diffrence, so I guess its EE but can it be eliminated.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Please list the movie that is showing the ringing. If Monster's Inc. looks good then it is not a video card or cable issue (these items would affect all DVDs).

Many supposedly good DVD transfers (as rated by the expert reviewers with 36" TVs) look horrible on FP systems due to excessive EE. Check out Bjoern's website for an excellent explanation.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow what can say, sad but informative thanks this makes me feel sad but at the same time relived. I was going nuts trying to figured out why this was happening, blaming the players meaning dvd players, software and so forth. I guess having a hi-end system like my marquee really opens ones eyes to the truth that Hollywood is screwing us with our dvd purchases.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I couldn't agree more, EE is a killer :mad:. With my EH8500 it drives me crazy!!!! After Terry did my calibration and really focused my Marquee i watch older movies and EE is very noticeable. Maybe Mike Paker can get to work on some kind of EE killer box :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.