AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the final completion of our CyberDyne Cinema at hand, I still have a desire to add one more detail. The fiber optic ceiling.

These are without a doubt one of the most amazing attractions one can add to a dedicated HT. Now, with that said. I have done some research and visited various member's sites, as well as the Fiber Optic Store. So, I am not going into this completely blind.

My biggest dilemma in the beginning was that the CyberDyne Cinema has finished drywall knockdown textured ceilings at various heights from 8' to 9'. I did not want to install a suspended ceiling system just for a fiber optic set up, especially since the ceiling was finished way before the CyberDyne Cinema was even conceived.

Sooooo. What I am considering is building a large "window to the sky" effect on the ceiling. I believe the Fiber Optic Store has a link whereas a young man built a "window frame" from wood and used foam rubber painted black mounted to pegboard as the nightsky within the frame, this allowed for the optical cables to be pushed through the rubber . The entire unit was suspended from his bedroom ceiling with small chain. He built a small dual L.E.D. circuit for the star illumination.

With all these neat Christmas miniature displays and trees using fiber-optics, I figure a very nice system can be created possibly using the light source from one of these displays. It would be much more affordable than say, a specific fiber optic light engine.

Fiber optic cable is relative inexpensive and from what I have read really isn't all that difficult to install...especially in a smaller project that I have in mind. The biggest cost seems to be in the illumination aspect. Costly for the light engine and the additional need for long cable runs to the light-box.

Considering all that. I am tossing a round the idea of a 4'x8', or perhaps two 4'x8' s ,configuration of a fiber optic sky panel/s that can be attached to my ceiling. The trick to this is to limit the lengthy run of cables to a distant light source. I would love to incorporate a light source with in the ceiling mounted panel/s itself. I do not wish to use a battery operated light, as did the young man I had mentioned earlier did.

My limitations are that I do not have access to the space above the ceiling, due to the kitchen above. Other than that I am open to any ideas in a cost effective (meaning cheep, yet effective) way to create this idea.

One more thing. The young man mentioned that he couldn't find a black foam rubber, so he had to paint the foam black. Yuck. So if I cannot find a thin black foam rubber, what might be a good alternative? The thin rubberbacked black carpet I am using on the walls might be a good source, since it does absorb all reflected light.

Hope this isn't to long or boring, but I do really get some great insight from my pals here at AVS!

http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/Pr.../Starfield.htm

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's exactly what I did.

My "window" is made from a piece of 4x8 rigid insulation. I painted it black and poked holes through from the front with a needle. From the back I then threaded the various fibres through. By doing this it prevents the "blow out" of the insulation. I too got the fibre kits from the Fibre Optic Store. To finish the sides I used crown moulding and to create a finished perimeter around the panel I used some casing. You can see some pictures here....
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291912207 and some more here http://www.angelfire.com/trek/rsturb...rgeneral1.html .

I used an 18" fluorescent tube as the light source. They last a long time and run cool. It does not "twinkle" though......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.