AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dediced to order 2x2000 for mains, 1x Microwalsh Center and 2x Microwalsh for surround. Should be delivered in March. Satellite Model 4 was not recommended by Ohm for multichannel music, and I found through testing that by changing the orientation of the Microwalsh Tall as surround speakers one can change the sound characteristics to be more suitable for music or for movies vice versa (tweeter oriented towards the seats or to the back wall). Can´t wait!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I currently have B&W CM9’s as my fronts with the matching center. Would the Walsh Ohm’s 2000 be an upgrade or a lateral move?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I currently have B&W CM9’s as my fronts with the matching center. Would the Walsh Ohm’s 2000 be an upgrade or a lateral move?
I have B&W CDM 7 NT as front and compared them extensively to Ohm 1000 with classical music. I found the Ohm to be better in many regards: the sound was less coming from the speakers, it was more of an acoustic space opening up before me, instruments sounded more real an had more body. While the B&W are good speakers, in comparison they sounded flat and uninvolving. I also preferred the warmer characteristics of the Ohm. On the other hand there was no aspect in which the B&W was better than the Ohm.

As I wrote, I ordered the Ohm 2000 to have even more improvement and because of room size (still awaiting delivery). I do not know the B&W 9, but suspect that they are similar to the CDM7NT I have, just with a bit more bass and dynamics. So, I think the Ohm 2000 would compare to the B&W 9 as the Ohm 1000 did to my B&W 7. In short: I would expect an upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A family member just gave me a pair Ohm C2s that he couldn't bare to throw out. They were recapped/refoamed a few years ago, and physically in good condition. Considering these were made in the late 70s, early 80s, they sound very good. Highs are very strong, but it seems like they are lacking bass response. I see that Ohm still sells upgrades for this speaker, specifically the current model of Ohm's woofer that extends the bass response and improves dynamic range. Their website claims all upgrades can be done at home "by any person" and requires no specialized knowledge. Has anyone here done this? Is it really that easy? I have never opened or worked on a speaker before, and I don't want to ruin a pair of vintage speakers that sound pretty good, but I also feel like it would be cool to make them sound great.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
A family member just gave me a pair Ohm C2s that he couldn't bare to throw out. They were recapped/refoamed a few years ago, and physically in good condition. Considering these were made in the late 70s, early 80s, they sound very good. Highs are very strong, but it seems like they are lacking bass response. I see that Ohm still sells upgrades for this speaker, specifically the current model of Ohm's woofer that extends the bass response and improves dynamic range. Their website claims all upgrades can be done at home "by any person" and requires no specialized knowledge. Has anyone here done this? Is it really that easy? I have never opened or worked on a speaker before, and I don't want to ruin a pair of vintage speakers that sound pretty good, but I also feel like it would be cool to make them sound great.
I live near their factory so I've always brought mine in for the upgrade but knowing John and the rest of the folks who work there, i'm sure it's a well thought out process and can be done and i'm sure they will give you excellent support by phone if needed.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Their website claims all upgrades can be done at home "by any person" and requires no specialized knowledge. Has anyone here done this? Is it really that easy?
Give them a call. John is very generous with his time and I'm sure he will walk you through what is required to put you at ease.

I recall a post from somebody on AVS about doing the upgrade themselves (I can't remember if it was this thread or another Ohm thread), but I'm pretty sure they said it was fairly easy. If you search AVS, you might be able to find that post.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Give them a call. John is very generous with his time and I'm sure he will walk you through what is required to put you at ease.

I recall a post from somebody on AVS about doing the upgrade themselves (I can't remember if it was this thread or another Ohm thread), but I'm pretty sure they said it was fairly easy. If you search AVS, you might be able to find that post.
Thanks for the advice. I'll put a call in this week and search around for that post.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I did speak to John this week and, wow, was taking this speaker apart incredibly easy. Sent in all of the parts and hopefully I will bring these speakers back to like-new function.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dediced to order 2x2000 for mains, 1x Microwalsh Center and 2x Microwalsh for surround. Should be delivered in March. Satellite Model 4 was not recommended by Ohm for multichannel music, and I found through testing that by changing the orientation of the Microwalsh Tall as surround speakers one can change the sound characteristics to be more suitable for music or for movies vice versa (tweeter oriented towards the seats or to the back wall). Can´t wait!
So, the speakers arrived end of march and it is time to give an assessment. In short: I am extremely happy. But it took some time. First, I was disappointed, because the new 2000 sounded worse than the 1000 I had before on loan for testing. It was glaring, shrill, congested in comparison. They just sounded about like my older B&W! I did not believe it first, but burn-in time is real for Ohm! It took 3 months of regular playing, about 1-2 h per day on average, to achieve the sound I was expecting. Now it is smooth, warm, yet precise, and delivered a holographic projection of the recording room. When first playing with positioning, I preferred them closer to the back wall than the 1000 (about 30 cm). After burn in, I prefer a distance of about 60 cm to the back wall.

The Micro Walsh center also did not fare well in the beginning, it sounded harsh, and dialogue was less clear then before. Now I understand even words, I did not before on the B&W center. The sound also integrates well with the 2000 mains. It helps that I am using an Anthem mrx receiver with very good room calculation program ARC.

The surrounds surprised me, because as I mentioned I planned on experimenting with orientation of the super tweeter. I turns out that this is not necessary, because Ohm knew those would be surrounds, so they put the super tweeter straight on top pointing to the ceiling. And the sound is ideal from them, for movies as for surround music. Pink Floyd in 5.1 is awesome, the sound is seamless and does not seem to come from the speakers, but is just there. In summary I can recommend Ohm very much, but you have to give the time.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

The surrounds surprised me, because as I mentioned I planned on experimenting with orientation of the super tweeter. I turns out that this is not necessary, because Ohm knew those would be surrounds, so they put the super tweeter straight on top pointing to the ceiling. And the sound is ideal from them, for movies as for surround music. Pink Floyd in 5.1 is awesome, the sound is seamless and does not seem to come from the speakers, but is just there. In summary I can recommend Ohm very much, but you have to give the time.
These are the Omni tweeters. I have them in my Ohm rears as well and they make the difference.:)

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I did speak to John this week and, wow, was taking this speaker apart incredibly easy. Sent in all of the parts and hopefully I will bring these speakers back to like-new function.
Can you post a couple of pictures?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you post a couple of pictures?
Sure. Here they are. Sorry for the blurriness. I have a terrible phone.

Impressions:

-Ohm has amazing service. I sent them the old parts on a Friday, and the new parts were delivered Tuesday afternoon! Phone support was terrific, as you all have said.

-New parts definitely require some break-in. Sounded very thin initially, but are becoming noticeably better over the past two days. I probably have 8-10 hours on them though, so a long road to go.

-Tweeters sound very different from the originals. I thought the originals had a very forward, metallic sound to them, whereas the new ones have a more airy quality. They seem to image well enough.

-One issue, as perhaps you can see in the pics, is that the new high tweeter in the right speaker did not fit quite as snugly as the old one, and one of the screw holes was bigger than the stock screw, so I had to use a thicker screw. The old tweeters where solid and heavy; the new ones are incredibly thin and light. Another issue is that the tweeter in this speaker vibrates (kind of a springy "boing" sound) during certain low frequency passages. I switched the tweeters and it still happens in the right speaker. This is probably a placement issue or, again, something with how the tweeter is seated in the enclosure. Not sure how to remedy it, but the sound is infrequent enough not to be too annoying (for now).

-Bass is becoming tighter over the break-in period.

The upgrade cost me about $570 with shipping. Is it worth it? Still evaluating that. I liked the sound of the stock parts and I am hoping these will extend the life of the C2s. My hope is to use these my as primaries, but time will tell. My other speakers are Magnepan MMGis, and I am enjoying the return to the dynamic bookshelf sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I’ve read with interest this entire thread (and other review comments online), and am seriously considering acquiring a pair of these speakers. I’m also considering Tektons, which also have a dedicated following. I’ve heard the Tekton Double Impacts and they are fantastic sounding speakers. However, I have 2 reservations regarding Tekton:
They are more expensive
Customer service is a bit spotty, from what I’ve been able to determine.
The recent YouTube video (Steve Guttenberg) regarding these, as well as the gushing Z review have also peaked my interest.
Has anyone heard both the Tektons and the Walsh’s and could compare the two?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I’ve read with interest this entire thread (and other review comments online), and am seriously considering acquiring a pair of these speakers. I’m also considering Tektons, which also have a dedicated following. I’ve heard the Tekton Double Impacts and they are fantastic sounding speakers. However, I have 2 reservations regarding Tekton:
They are more expensive
Customer service is a bit spotty, from what I’ve been able to determine.
The recent YouTube video (Steve Guttenberg) regarding these, as well as the gushing Z review have also peaked my interest.
Has anyone heard both the Tektons and the Walsh’s and could compare the two?
Thanks
I only have the Ohm Walsh-2's but if you are not certain why not compare them in you home since they have a generous trial period?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So now that I have been living with the C2s for a while and they've broken in a bit more, I have to say that the upgrades are fantastic. I am thinking of keeping these on my main system and, as perhaps was evident from my pics, I need more solid stands for them. Anyone have any suggestions for stands for heavy, vintage bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
So now that I have been living with the C2s for a while and they've broken in a bit more, I have to say that the upgrades are fantastic. I am thinking of keeping these on my main system and, as perhaps was evident from my pics, I need more solid stands for them. Anyone have any suggestions for stands for heavy, vintage bookshelf speakers?
Inexpensive:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24794

More expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-DS400-Speaker-Stands/dp/B01EX92B46?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01EX92B46

If that does not work, look at Target stands. There is a four column, fillable metal stand that should hold up to just about anything.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Can anyone comment on the performance of their Microsubwoofers?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Q Acoustics speakers to a Ohm set-up. I just sent this email to Ohm, and I'm curious what their reply will be:

Hi, if I can sell my condo, I'm looking to build a new one-level home. There will be a pretty large great room comprising the living room, kitchen and dining area (about 25'x20'). Here is the floor plan (the wall-mounted TV and main LRC speakers will be on the wall shared with the owner's suite:
https://nhs-dynamic.secure.footprin...eight=1920&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

The receiver I am leaning towards is the Anthem MRX 720, which is compatible with 4 ohms and higher (5 x 170 W into 6 ohms remaining 2 channels 75W into 6 ohms). My original plan with typical speakers was a 5.1.2 Atmos system with both the overhead and surround speakers installed in the ceiling in this setup:
http://www.tymhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/1000-SS_5-1-2_Combo-Atmos-01.jpg

I understand you do not have in-ceiling speakers. I realize your speakers have a unique sound, but is there any other branded speaker that has an in-ceiling option that would be somewhat close to timbre match? I realize it'd be a compromise.

What main Ohm L&R front speakers would you recommend? If I can afford an all Ohm speaker set up, would you wall-mount a pair of MicroWalsh's on the dining room wall for the surrounds? And could I wall mount a pair of MicroWalsh's above the TV and the main speakers and get them aimed to bounce off the ceiling close to above the seating area?

If you'd like to see photos of the great room in model home see photos numbered 11-16 on this page (I will not have the fireplace nor the sun room shown):
https://www.mihomes.com/new-homes/m...-cologne/cedarwood_ii-plan/2201_naples_avenue

Thanks!!

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just took delivery of a pair of Walsh 2000's today. I'm local so I stopped by the shop and chatted with John and Evan a bit in person and over the phone.

There will be a pretty large great room comprising the living room, kitchen and dining area (about 25'x20').

What main Ohm L&R front speakers would you recommend?
Their claim is that all Walsh Tall models sound the same and you pick the right one based on the volume of your room. Larger driver = more energy put into the room to fill the space. A 25' x 20' room, depending on whether your ceiling is 8 or 10 foot, would be 4000-5000 cubic feet. That range is literally their cutoff between the 3000 and 4000 models. After John explained their sizing strategy, I asked him, "But don't the bigger drivers have deeper bass?" He said they do, but only by a little bit and that isn't the point. Even the small ones go low enough.

The receiver I am leaning towards is the Anthem MRX 720, which is compatible with 4 ohms and higher (5 x 170 W into 6 ohms remaining 2 channels 75W into 6 ohms).
John and Evan both thought my Yamaha RX-V1800, which is 130x7 into 8 ohms, would be fine to start with. I'm only running it in stereo though, so I've got some overhead. I asked John about "upgrading" to a separate integrated amp, and he thought that given the dynamic range present in good music and HT source material, I shouldn't buy an external amp unless it was clearly more powerful than my Yamaha. He thought an 80-100W "audiophile" amp wouldn't be an upgrade because I'd experience distortion during peak moments. So I guess John is a "more power" type of guy. I didn't look at the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure they had a beefy McIntosh powering the 1000's I demoed when I stopped in a month ago.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I just took delivery of a pair of Walsh 2000's today. I'm local so I stopped by the shop and chatted with John and Evan a bit in person and over the phone.

Their claim is that all Walsh Tall models sound the same and you pick the right one based on the volume of your room. Larger driver = more energy put into the room to fill the space. A 25' x 20' room, depending on whether your ceiling is 8 or 10 foot, would be 4000-5000 cubic feet. That range is literally their cutoff between the 3000 and 4000 models. After John explained their sizing strategy, I asked him, "But don't the bigger drivers have deeper bass?" He said they do, but only by a little bit and that isn't the point. Even the small ones go low enough.

John and Evan both thought my Yamaha RX-V1800, which is 130x7 into 8 ohms, would be fine to start with. I'm only running it in stereo though, so I've got some overhead. I asked John about "upgrading" to a separate integrated amp, and he thought that given the dynamic range present in good music and HT source material, I shouldn't buy an external amp unless it was clearly more powerful than my Yamaha. He thought an 80-100W "audiophile" amp wouldn't be an upgrade because I'd experience distortion during peak moments. So I guess John is a "more power" type of guy. I didn't look at the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure they had a beefy McIntosh powering the 1000's I demoed when I stopped in a month ago.
Good information. I live in NY so I've stopped by as well when I got my speakers and it's a lot of fun and a great experience talking with John and Evan one on one. They are both incredibly knowledgeable.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts