AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yea, Evan recommended the 5000's for my room size. $6,000 is a big chunk of money! If I go the Ohm route, I'd probably have to go the 2-channel set-up for a few years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yea, Evan recommended the 5000's for my room size. $6,000 is a big chunk of money! If I go the Ohm route, I'd probably have to go the 2-channel set-up for a few years.
The 4000's and 5000's are the same speaker. The 5000 just has some electronics on it that allows you to do some tweaking. You could save $1000 by skipping the electronics and getting the 4000.

Technically, the 3000 is good up to 5400 cubic feet. That's slightly bigger than your room unless you are rocking over 10' ceilings and $2600 savings over the 5000. I'd have a hard time justifying the bigger speakers given that cost differential and the raw specs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The 4000's and 5000's are the same speaker. The 5000 just has some electronics on it that allows you to do some tweaking. You could save $1000 by skipping the electronics and getting the 4000.

Technically, the 3000 is good up to 5400 cubic feet. That's slightly bigger than your room unless you are rocking over 10' ceilings and $2600 savings over the 5000. I'd have a hard time justifying the bigger speakers given that cost differential and the raw specs.
Good info, thanks!

Let's say I got a pair of 3000's and a stereo receiver (maybe the Outlaw RR2160: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html ), I may not need a subwoofer for music, but for movies, I think I would like one (leaning towards a servo Rythmic Audio like the LV12F). The Outlaw receiver has analog bass management, would you run the 3000's full range and just cut off the top end of the sub?

A downside to the Outlaw is no HDMI switching, so, would need to go old school and connect all the HDMI's into the TV and switching inputs. One plus side to this way is the ability to play music while watching TV (I like to do that with sporting events, often get tired of the announcers).

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
would need to go old school and connect all the HDMI's into the TV and switching inputs.
One test suggested this is better for the sound. Another advantage is just watching like the news without having to turn on the stereo, and using just the TV remote.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wonder if Ohm is thinking about re-launching something like their Sat speakers for home theater. Because $1,400 for a pair of surround speakers is really out of the reach for the vast majority of folks. Here are the old Sat-1's: https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/sat-1/
They were small and easy to mount on walls and they were pretty well thought of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good info, thanks!

Let's say I got a pair of 3000's and a stereo receiver (maybe the Outlaw RR2160: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html ), I may not need a subwoofer for music, but for movies, I think I would like one (leaning towards a servo Rythmic Audio like the LV12F). The Outlaw receiver has analog bass management, would you run the 3000's full range and just cut off the top end of the sub?

I actually pair my 2000's with a Rythmik E15HP2. I love it. The LV12F might be underpowered in your space though. I'd consider stepping up in their range or buying 2 of them. FWIW, John suggested 2 subs as close as possible to the L/R speakers.

John suggested not using a sub for music, but agreed that it would be best for home theater duty. I'm still getting the system set up, but right now I have the 2000's set for large/full range and am also sending 80Hz and below to the sub. Personally, I don't think the 2000's have enough bass to use on their own for modern music. Maybe for Jazz, Classical, and pre-80's it's enough, but they lack the grunt of the big woofer, or maybe I'm just used to too much bass or have them EQed improperly for my room. I think I'm going to try setting the speakers to small/80hz tomorrow because every once in a while I think I might be overextending them when playing loud movies and I would like to protect my investment. Then again, we just watched The Fifth Element and I didn't hear any issues, so maybe I'm just wrong. I asked John specifically if it was dangerous to run the 2000's full range for HT at high volumes and he basically said "nope, don't worry about it".

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I want to walk back some things I said in previous posts after listening some more.

The 2000s definitely do not need a sub for music. I turned off mine as an experiment, and I was sad for 30 seconds as the bass dropped off, but a minute later I had completely forgotten and was lost in the amazing sound quality. There us plenty of bass without a sub, especially at high volume, and the sound is much more cohesive. It's amazing, and I'm not one to get hyperbolic with sound stuff.

I listened to Money and I felt like I was a teenager hearing it again for the first time.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wonder if Ohm is thinking about re-launching something like their Sat speakers for home theater. Because $1,400 for a pair of surround speakers is really out of the reach for the vast majority of folks. Here are the old Sat-1's: https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/sat-1/
They were small and easy to mount on walls and they were pretty well thought of.
So, the Wall mounted Walsh surrounds do work really well, though at MSRP they are $1400.00. They fire upwards which seems to really work well.

Keep in mind the generous trade-in policy that OHM has. Additionally, I have found with my 5000's I don't need a center channel so you can save money there.

Also, watch the OHM demo/refurb page, last year they had a few pairs of the micro surrounds up for sale.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, the Wall mounted Walsh surrounds do work really well, though at MSRP they are $1400.00. They fire upwards which seems to really work well.

Keep in mind the generous trade-in policy that OHM has. Additionally, I have found with my 5000's I don't need a center channel so you can save money there.

Also, watch the OHM demo/refurb page, last year they had a few pairs of the micro surrounds up for sale.
Great, I was also thinking no center channel. Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well, My ohm 2000's blew a driver a while back, so I'm replacing them with the F-5015's
Meanwhile, the nice folks at Ohm have sent me the latest 2000 drivers as loaners, and wow, after a bit of break and some room correction they sound just great! Bass down to 30 HZ for sure, and 20 still some left.
Top curve is normal position in my living room, Close miked, no correction.
Second orange curve seating position, no correction.
Green curve is auto-correct from my Yamaha 3900, seating position.
Bottom blue curve is final manual adjustment to the Yamaha.
All measurements left speaker only.
Didn't fool with them for long, and look forward to tuning an listening to the F-5015's.

Attachments

Reactions: pjp

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have my "Darth Vader" 5015's now.
Wow, shake the house bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi - I'm really curious to hear a pair of these. Any owners in the Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal corridor who would be up for a demonstration?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi, I am contemplating adding back surround speakers to my Ohm Walsh setup (2000 mails, Microwalsh as Center and Surrounds). Has anybody done this before, is it a good idea? I am thinking Microwalsh wall mounted. Or should I instead add 2 Microwalsh as height speakers? Although I would not have any idea how to do that...

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Hi, I am contemplating adding back surround speakers to my Ohm Walsh setup (2000 mails, Microwalsh as Center and Surrounds). Has anybody done this before, is it a good idea? I am thinking Microwalsh wall mounted. Or should I instead add 2 Microwalsh as height speakers? Although I would not have any idea how to do that...
Yes it will work very well. E-mail John at Ohm and he can give you options. They have omni directions tweeter drivers for surrounds and or for an atmos setup which work really well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Would you rather install back surrounds or height speakers? I tend to back surrounds since there are many more discs with 7.1 soundtracks than Atmos.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
This is my Atmos setup. I'm using front heights and rear surrounds.

I was fortunate to inherit Walsh 2's when I got married lol which I subsequently upgraded to the 2000 omni drivers and use them as surrounds. Overkill for sure but John can recommend options for these.

The front heights were custom made for me by John. They have 2000 omni drivers.

I feel the sound stage is excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

I don’t have experience with Walsh speakers, but I believe research has been done that suggests humans are not good at identifying/processing sounds from the rear. Personally, I have had a couple of occasions when my rear speakers were disconnected and I never missed anything. I believe overheads would be more useful. Additionally, there’s not much content in the rears in most soundtracks (if you only allow them to play and disconnect everything else)you hear very little). IMHO, your money is better spent with overheads. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don’t have experience with Walsh speakers, but I believe research has been done that suggests humans are not good at identifying/processing sounds from the rear. Personally, I have had a couple of occasions when my rear speakers were disconnected and I never missed anything. I believe overheads would be more useful. Additionally, there’s not much content in the rears in most soundtracks (if you only allow them to play and disconnect everything else)you hear very little). IMHO, your money is better spent with overheads. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I see that my Receiver does not support Atmos, only Prologic IIz, so for the moment I would rather go with 7.1. I am surprised that you have the impression that the back surround have not much information; the few times I could listen to recent Marvel Movies I heard a lot going on there. Depends on the kind of movie, perhaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ohm speakers

Well, My ohm 2000's blew a driver a while back, so I'm replacing them with the F-5015's
Meanwhile, the nice folks at Ohm have sent me the latest 2000 drivers as loaners, and wow, after a bit of break and some room correction they sound just great! Bass down to 30 HZ for sure, and 20 still some left.
Top curve is normal position in my living room, Close miked, no correction.
Second orange curve seating position, no correction.
Green curve is auto-correct from my Yamaha 3900, seating position.
Bottom blue curve is final manual adjustment to the Yamaha.
All measurements left speaker only.
Didn't fool with them for long, and look forward to tuning an listening to the F-5015's.
Did you ever take delivery on your 5015s? I am strongly considering making the move to Ohm speakers. I got the idea from MBL, but their omnidirectional speakers are for Kings only, like ~ 200k in price.

BTW - this thread looks nearly dead. Any Ohm owners out there who recently purchased? The customer service of the company is amazing. You can call up and speak directly to the founder, John, and he is a very nice and patient man. Really cool. Anyone have the walsh omni surrounds? Wall mounted?

141 - 160 of 173 Posts