AVS Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Did you ever take delivery on your 5015s? I am strongly considering making the move to Ohm speakers. I got the idea from MBL, but their omnidirectional speakers are for Kings only, like ~ 200k in price.

BTW - this thread looks nearly dead. Any Ohm owners out there who recently purchased? The customer service of the company is amazing. You can call up and speak directly to the founder, John, and he is a very nice and patient man. Really cool. Anyone have the walsh omni surrounds? Wall mounted?
I have Walsh 2000's with the omni tweeter for rears and custom front heights with 2000's and omni tweeter as well and they work great.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Did you ever take delivery on your 5015s? I am strongly considering making the move to Ohm speakers. I got the idea from MBL, but their omnidirectional speakers are for Kings only, like ~ 200k in price.

BTW - this thread looks nearly dead. Any Ohm owners out there who recently purchased? The customer service of the company is amazing. You can call up and speak directly to the founder, John, and he is a very nice and patient man. Really cool. Anyone have the walsh omni surrounds? Wall mounted?
I did take delivery, they are broken in and calibrated to my listening room. Absolutely killer speakers, with room shaking bass.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for a pair of Ohm Walsh speakers to buy, prefer the cubes or the FRS-7, but would consider any model. I am in Boulder, CO. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 4 of the Ohm Walsh 2 speakers. All of them have been upgraded at the factory in NYC. I run them with a Marantz 8800 and have a Surefire sunfire dual 12 inch Sub. I just love the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New member to AVS, glad to see a thread on Ohm’s. Bought my microwalsh talls in early 2000, All I can say is give Ohms the best power you can afford. Currently driving them with a Bryston 4Bsst2, man what difference it made.

I’m now looking at getting the Super Sound Cylinder and was wondering if anyone here has them. I’m moving and the microwalsh talls just aren’t designed for the size of the new space. I’m also partial to Totem as I use them in a 7.1 HT setup.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
New member to AVS, glad to see a thread on Ohm’s. Bought my microwalsh talls in early 2000, All I can say is give Ohms the best power you can afford. Currently driving them with a Bryston 4Bsst2, man what difference it made.

I’m now looking at getting the Super Sound Cylinder and was wondering if anyone here has them. I’m moving and the microwalsh talls just aren’t designed for the size of the new space. I’m also partial to Totem as I use them in a 7.1 HT setup.
You have good taste!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, unfortunately my good taste seem to reek havoc with my wallet :rolleyes: Usually try to buy previously enjoyed, but used Ohms are rarer than hen’s teeth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ohm people! I am an aspiring audiophile and considering upgrading my home theater during the next couple of years. I currently have some small Edifier speakers not worth mentioning, and the set-up is not very symmetrical - I have wall on my left and a more open space and wall-to-ceiling window on my right. Also the big left wall is about 5 meters high while the right window is about 2 meters, the 5m ceiling is level for 1,5m and then starts sloping towards the window, and has some more weird shapes and corners just before reaching the window. Walls are concrete. The room is 23,6 sq. meters so taking roughly the average height it should be just below 3000 cubic feet (Walsh Tall 2000 upper bound). Plus there are openings to other rooms.

I'm considering rotating my setup 90 degrees left so that the big solid wall would have the screen and front speakers, and the window would be behind me (and company). From what little research I've done, the slope downwards towards a listening position is a problem, but for some reason I think it might be a lesser problem with the Ohm Walshes than with most speakers?

At the moment I am considering two Ohm Walsh Tall 2000s or Super Sound Cylinders - they seem to fit the size of the room - or maybe the 3000s if recommended by Ohm.

However, I want to leave room for future surround sound upgrade (not sure about budget yet). But here's the thing with that - I've read this whole thread and I get that Ohms as surround sounds great for many people, but when I look at the HT systems offerings on Ohm website, I am left with the impression that those systems are not really thought through, but this of course might be my own lack of audiophile and surround setup experience. What I'm seeing is that they took the design from about 50 years ago that has worked great for stereo so far, and just put the same thing in different shaped and sized cabinets for the different purpose speakers? And I have some questions:

1. Does the uniquely wide stereo sweet spot created by e.g. Walsh Tall stereo mains really work the same way with satellites to your left and right? Or the center speaker? Or could it be that all you are getting from those being the Walsh drivers is a matched tonality, but a more simple, cheaper and typical speaker would work just as well if not better there? I guess the Walsh design might work well for satellites as the sound bounces off the ceiling?

2. Another aspect is the design of the speakers - from the photos I've seen, the Walsh Talls or the Cylinder look pretty good to me and would go nicely with some of my existing furniture. However, I'm very hesitant at having that same kind of design mounted high onto the side walls or even the ceiling. To me it just doesn't look like it could belong visually.

3. Power/size? Ok I also want a good stereo experience, so I want the 2 Walsh Talls to be able to fill the room. But if I would upgrade to HT and have 5 Walsh 2000s as per this HT system: Walsh HT-2000 5.2 Home Theater System If 2 speakers fill the room, aren't 5 going to be way overkill? Maybe the satellites and center should be smaller drivers?

Since I would have openings to other rooms to the left and right of the seating area, my best option for L/R surround satellites seems to be above those openings on the wall. And the windows would be just behind the seating, with some walking room to pass behind the seating there. So that's also not a good place for speaker placement - I might skip the rear speakers anyway.

Sorry for dumping all this info and questions at once :) My main concern is actually whether these Walsh speakers even make sense for my weirdly shaped room, but I also asked that on the Ohm website contact form, so let's see what they reply.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
A layout of the space would be helpful, in the new configuration (rotated 90 degrees), including expected speaker positioning, seating, any other furnishings of interest ...

Ohms are not for everybody. Their unique strength is their ability to cover the edges of a large space without losing frequencies. Most speakers are limited to a 60 degree cone of sound projected from the speaker. As to surrounds, you would probably want to go with more towers, if you can place them without destroying the traffic flow of the room. Do they have to be the same towers as your fronts ... probably not as they will be much closer to your seating, but that (and all these questions, really) should be directed to the folks at Ohm.

They will tailor the system to your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Villane,

I second RayGuy's suggestion, ask John. He's a wealth of information and he really understands the capabilities of their speakers, specially for a difficult room such as yours (5m cement walls (O¿o) I see wall treatments in your future). Sounds a lot like the room I'll be moving to shortly (8m wall but not in cement). My MicroWalsh Talls weren't designed for such a large space and now considering upgrading to the Super Sound cylinders or a pair of "gently used" Totem Winds for 2 ch listening. I have a dedicated HT room. Before upgrading to the Totem setup for HT, I was using a mixture of speakers with Ohms as the fronts, it was acceptable but could be annoying at times. The difference in timber was more noticeable in 5.1 ch music compared to Movies. I've heard a 3.1 Ohm setup (fronts and middle), and it sounded great (room couldn't support 5.1). The main advantage I'd give the Ohms is the great sound, flexibility of placement and ability to deal with funky room layouts (beats the Totem Forests which are less forgiving in placement but sonicly and visually gorgeous IMHO :giggle:).

As much as I love my Ohms, I had the same reservations as you did in regards to aesthetics. They don't have the same level of finish as the Totems and having that many cans for the surrounds may not pass the wife acceptance factor. To be honest, it's hard to blend that many speakers no matter what they look like. There may be a way to "hide" some of the surrounds but John will be your best resource (provide him pictures and layout with dimension).

The main reason my HT is filled with Totem, came down to price. I scored the deal of the century for a complete Totem system (gently used). Ohms really do punch well above their class (price) but purchasing 5 or 7 of them really start to add up and used Ohms are rarer than hens teeth.

Having 3, 5 or 7 Ohms will not really overpower a room unless your amplification is under powered (Ohms hunger for clean power) or the volume is set too loud for the room (rarer but possible). Remember that perceived loudness decreases along a logarithmic curve as you get farther away from the source. It's all about balance, the room should feel full (everywhere) of music; not loud in one area, quiet in the other. Amplification and sound balancing will be key for you in my humble opinion (as it was for me). Those cement walls, I fear, will cause you a lot of grief (reflection points).

The rear and sides do make a difference, specially in movies where spacial audio is prevalent. More music is starting to make full use of spatial audio but it's still a minority.

Hope this helps,

Hi Ohm people!
Sorry for dumping all this info and questions at once :) My main concern is actually whether these Walsh speakers even make sense for my weirdly shaped room, but I also asked that on the Ohm website contact form, so let's see what they reply.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
Hi Villane,

I second RayGuy's suggestion, ask John. He's a wealth of information and he really understands the capabilities of their speakers, specially for a difficult room such as yours (5m cement walls (O¿o) I see wall treatments in your future). Sounds a lot like the room I'll be moving to shortly (8m wall but not in cement). My MicroWalsh Talls weren't designed for such a large space and now considering upgrading to the Super Sound cylinders or a pair of "gently used" Totem Winds for 2 ch listening. I have a dedicated HT room. Before upgrading to the Totem setup for HT, I was using a mixture of speakers with Ohms as the fronts, it was acceptable but could be annoying at times. The difference in timber was more noticeable in 5.1 ch music compared to Movies. I've heard a 3.1 Ohm setup (fronts and middle), and it sounded great (room couldn't support 5.1). The main advantage I'd give the Ohms is the great sound, flexibility of placement and ability to deal with funky room layouts (beats the Totem Forests which are less forgiving in placement but sonicly and visually gorgeous IMHO :giggle:).

As much as I love my Ohms, I had the same reservations as you did in regards to aesthetics. They don't have the same level of finish as the Totems and having that many cans for the surrounds may not pass the wife acceptance factor. To be honest, it's hard to blend that many speakers no matter what they look like. There may be a way to "hide" some of the surrounds but John will be your best resource (provide him pictures and layout with dimension).

The main reason my HT is filled with Totem, came down to price. I scored the deal of the century for a complete Totem system (gently used). Ohms really do punch well above their class (price) but purchasing 5 or 7 of them really start to add up and used Ohms are rarer than hens teeth.

Having 3, 5 or 7 Ohms will not really overpower a room unless your amplification is under powered (Ohms hunger for clean power) or the volume is set too loud for the room (rarer but possible). Remember that perceived loudness decreases along a logarithmic curve as you get farther away from the source. It's all about balance, the room should feel full (everywhere) of music; not loud in one area, quiet in the other. Amplification and sound balancing will be key for you in my humble opinion (as it was for me). Those cement walls, I fear, will cause you a lot of grief (reflection points).

The rear and sides do make a difference, specially in movies where spacial audio is prevalent. More music is starting to make full use of spatial audio but it's still a minority.

Hope this helps,
I also agree with this approach. Draw a diagram, e-mail it to John at Ohm then call him and he will tell you what the best solution is. In my case he made something special for my room requirements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I am waiting for their initial response for a few days already, but maybe I should send them all the details...

In the mean while, I have been thinking that maybe starting with relatively higher-end speakers like the Ohm Walsh and spending so much for HT (plus likely additional room treatment costs) is not the best idea for me anyway. I really don't have much experience listening to audiophile level systems - all I have that is good is Adam Audio T5V studio monitors and T10S sub at my desk, and going to listen to some Klipsch RF II tomorrow. Also I think I will try the Adams in the room I described to see how the room affects the sound.

In the past I used to listening to movies rather loud and the downstairs neighbour complained. No complaints during the last year after I turned the volume down. So considering that I would have to listen at more quiet levels... does the room filling sound even work with quiet-ish sound, really? And are the Ohms good speakers for more quiet listening? I know that to some extent it doesn't depend on the speaker so much, you have some physical constraints, that can be somewhat helped by loudness controls, but I've read that horns might be better with projecting quieter sound further?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes a high quality amp and speaker should sound just as good at 50db as 75db. Lower quality amps create too much noise at low volumes and distort at higher volumes. Based on the size of your room, you will need a fair bit of quality power to fill the room, even at low volume.

Unless you live by yourself or watch/listen by yourselfyou should go for speakers with a wide listening sweet spot. The same with placement flexibility since they will be in your general living space. Since you have neighbours, you won’t need a subwoofer. Quality speakers will be able to go down to at least 33 hz. I usually only turn on the subs for special movie nights.

You didn’t mention your budget but I do believe that the Ohms would be a very good fit as it ticks all of the above. You do have 120 days trial period with full refund minus’s shipping. Just make sure that you follow the break-in info as the change in sound is dramatic (at least it was for me). Again John would be the best person to recommend what you need. Call him, email can take a while. I would start with Fronts and Center with a good amplifier (the Rotel has a very good bang for $$). A Rotel is powering my surrounds while a Bryston is powering the fronts.

Room treatment doesn’t have to cost a lot, most can be DYI. Work with speaker placement instead of traps to deal with standing waves.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts