AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good pair of speakers that will be used in a small livingroom setup. It will be a 2 channel setup with no sub and music will be played at low to mid levels. I am looking for a speaker with a wide sweetspot since it will be used in the livingroom. Looking for good clean sound that will fill my room reasonably well (22x15x8). In my search I've come across the ohm microwalsh and I am leaning towards them since they seem perfect for this application. Any other speakers I should be checking out? One other speaker I've listened to and liked was the vandersteen 1c. Any impressions of the microwalsh talls or other contenders would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

edit: Looking to spend a max of 1200.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the money I recommend the Ohms. I also recommend that you contact Ohm and enlist thier advice given your room dimensions. My Walsh 5s are in a room roughly double the cubic dimensions of yours.

If you position the speakers in the corners w/the tweeters pointing at the center of the room the sweet spot will be wide with good imaging.

Great company with outstanding customer support. During the fourteen years I have enjoyed the Walsh 5s they (the heads) have been sent back to Ohm twice for tweaks and upgrades. Fees were nominal and turnaround was fast in both cases. They stand behind their product....no matter the vintage.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShep /forum/post/0

For the money I recommend the Ohms. I also recommend that you contact Ohm and enlist thier advice given your room dimensions. My Walsh 5s are in a room roughly double the cubic dimensions of yours.

If you position the speakers in the corners w/the tweeters pointing at the center of the room the sweet spot will be wide with good imaging.

Great company with outstanding customer support. During the fourteen years I have enjoyed the Walsh 5s they (the heads) have been sent back to Ohm twice for tweaks and upgrades. Fees were nominal and turnaround was fast in both cases. They stand behind their product....no matter the vintage.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Micro Talls,I would also add the Rocket 450s,Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 &9.6,Usher V-602,Epos els 303,Revel Concerta F12,Kef iq 5,7 &9,and the Tannoy Synsis DCs to your list for a audition.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Tawaun, I'm currently using the Wharfedale Diamonds 8.3 from my old 5.1 set-up. I was considering the 9.6s as well so it's good to hear them be recommended. How do you think these would stack up against the Micro Walsh talls and the Kef-IQ9s? Do you think the Wharfedales can hold up against something like the Totem Arros as well? Lastly, could I expect a nice improvement from the 8.3s to the 9.6s?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Having recently listened to the Ohm MicroWalsh Talls for the first time, I can can testify to their excellence. I'm of the position that they might be the best pure music speaker I've personally ever heard, and I've heard plenty over the last few years. They absolutely excel in vocals, live recordings, acoustic instruments.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exerciseguy,

Thanks again for the feedback. I have heard that the Bass on the micros is excellent considering the size and I am all for quality over quantity but I just want to make sure that the majority of music I'll be playing will still be enjoyable without the bass extension.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97 /forum/post/0

Exerciseguy,

Thanks again for the feedback. I have heard that the Bass on the micros is excellent considering the size and I am all for quality over quantity but I just want to make sure that the majority of music I'll be playing will still be enjoyable without the bass extension.

I know tastes are different, but I can't imagine anyone (Well any serious listener, or any audiophile without a stick up their behind) not enjoying these speakers, they're that good.

By nature I'm frugal, and my eyes & ears are bigger than my pockets are deep, so I need an exceptional value to feel satisfied. I would easily be satisfied forking over $1000 for the MicroWalsh Talls.

Coincidentally, I met a salesman this past weekend at the Stereo Exchange in NYC, when I conveyed that I had recently listened to the MicroWalsh Talls and was very impressed, he replied with a snide "Well I can't imagine why?", and proceed to sit me down in front of the obligatory B&W Nautilus 805 (Well obligatory in NYC it would seem, every hi-fi shop is B&W mad! I love B&W, but jeez, mix it up a bit!). Needless to say, he didn't make the sale. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL. I have heard some B&Ws I like and others...not so much. I am looking forward to hearing the ohms but just want to make sure that even if the bass isn't uber low that the overall listening experience is so good that it doesn't make me feel like I'm missing much

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:

LOL. I have heard some B&Ws I like and others...not so much. I am looking forward to hearing the ohms but just want to make sure that even if the bass isn't uber low that the overall listening experience is so good that it doesn't make me feel like I'm missing much

If you need additional bass you can always add one of Ohms SB subwoofers later. I ended up adding 3 SB-4s, but again, the room is quite large.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:

I am looking for a good pair of speakers that will be used in a small livingroom setup. It will be a 2 channel setup with no sub and music will be played at low to mid levels. I am looking for a speaker with a wide sweetspot since it will be used in the livingroom. Looking for good clean sound that will fill my room reasonably well (22x15x8). In my search I've come across the ohm microwalsh and I am leaning towards them since they seem perfect for this application. Any other speakers I should be checking out? One other speaker I've listened to and liked was the vandersteen 1c. Any impressions of the microwalsh talls or other contenders would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

edit: Looking to spend a max of 1200.

i just finished the EXACT same search. i was just about to order a pair of the MicroWalsh Talls, as Ohm is just across the East River from me, and i'd heard good things about them.

not to mention i was having trouble finding what i was looking for at the B&M stores in my price range.

but then i happened upon the Rega R5 at a little hi-fi shop downtown, and was utterly blown away by them.

here's what i've written about them before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax /forum/post/0

i listened pretty extensively to some two-dozen different speaker models in the $1000 range, as well as some speakers above that, to give me a sense of what i should expect.

the Regas weren't even on my radar originally, because while i knew about them, i didn't think they were available for audition here in nyc. and i almost didn't make it down to the hifi shop where i heard them.

the R5 (and their smaller sibling, the R3) were unique for me in that, when the music came on, i knew within 4 bars that i was going to love them. i still spent nearly two hours listening... mostly going between the R3 and R5 to decide between the two.

the word i use to describe them to people is "groovy." they just had the beat and the timing that made me want to dance. after "groovy," the word that comes to mind is "clarity." they're tight, fast and detailed without being analytical. (what the Brits call "PRaT")

the bass leans toward musical over impactful. you can hear each kick bass thud and double bass string pluck, which i think is what helps give it that great sense of rhythm. it doesn't have that lushness that some warmer speakers exhibit, but that's not my preference. if you prefer that, you might find the R5 a bit too tight and crisp.

i chose the R5 over the R3 because, while the R3 is probably more appropriate for my room, i preferred the deeper extension of the R5 and wanted to make a somewhat future-proof purchase. i would've been thrilled with the R3 as well, though... especially for their unbelievable price (although your price for the R5 is less than what i would've paid for the R3).

what i really love about them is that i actually preferred them over speakers that were out of my price range, including the B&W 700 series, the Audio Physic Yara Evolution, the Paradigm Studio 60, Snell, Vienna Acoustics, Focal and ML.

a couple of things i don't love:

- the cabinet is not as heavy as i'd like, although the speakers certainly don't sound like they suffer from resonance issues. if they had, i wouldn't have bought them.

i did audition the Montiro Audio RS6, and judging from the reviews i presumed that i'd probably get them. they sounded nice and clean, but didn't have the sense of timing and musicality that the Regas have.... at least to my ears.

i have a pretty particular taste in the sound i like. i knew what i wanted, but didn't think i'd find it in my price range. and i listened to A LOT of speakers for a LONG time.

if i hadn't found the R5, i probably would have ended up ordering a pair of Ohm Acoustic MicroWalsh Tall to try out, because nothing else i listened to within my budget satisfied me. the Regas were the last speakers i auditioned, and before walking into the shop i had pretty much decided that i wouldn't be buying any of the speakers i had auditioned.

in short, i LOVE the R5.... they are the absolute best purchase i could have made for my budget and my taste.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Tawaun, I'm currently using the Wharfedale Diamonds 8.3 from my old 5.1 set-up. I was considering the 9.6s as well so it's good to hear them be recommended. How do you think these would stack up against the Micro Walsh talls and the Kef-IQ9s? Do you think the Wharfedales can hold up against something like the Totem Arros as well? Lastly, could I expect a nice improvement from the 8.3s to the 9.6s?

Thanks Again!

Yes they would be a improvement over the Diamond 8.3s as much as I love those speakers.I actually chose the 9.5 over the 9.6,they are both great its a toss up between the 2,they just have a different presentation.Personally though I think the Rocket 450s and the Micro Talls are the floorstanders at this price.The 9.6s will compete with the Arro's until you start going up the electronics ladder thats when the Arros really shine, the Diamond 9 tweeter is a amazing tweeter,and i feel it can go up against the best dome tweeters on the market, for the price I dont know how Wharfedale made that tweeter that good.Out of all of them I prefer the 450s,their build is superior to the rest,I prefer them over the Micro Talls by a small margin because they throw almost the same size soundstage as the Micro Talls,but they image better,and are more specific,with more topend extension,but its close those are the 2 thats at the top of the class in my opinion,hope that helps good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome,

Thanks for the feedback Tawaun. Wish the rockets came in a room friendly color... I'd have ordered them long ago. Looks like Ohms will be first on the audition block. Thanks again for the input everyone!

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:

Awesome,

Thanks for the feedback. Any reason you didn't try the Ohms first?

honestly, i was prepared to go home and order them that day. but after two hours auditioning the Regas, i knew they were exactly what i was looking for, and didn't feel the need to hear the Ohms anymore.

i'm psyched that you're getting them... i've heard great things, so you have to be sure to post your impressions here.

oh, and i did audition the KEF iQ series that you mentioned, and they were not for me. i thought the mids were distractingly smeared.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't forget that Ohm will let you "audition" the Micro's in your home for a while then you can return them if they're not what you want.

Their bass is surprising for their size. As with ANY small speakers, it's simply physically impossible to cover the lowest frequency ranges. So, particularly if you're into home theater and want nice room shaking effects, you might like to add a subwoofer.

However, without the subwoofer, they are still quite satisfying for listening to music on their own. I listened to many different speakers over the past 5 years and the only speakers that I thought were clearly superior, overall, to the Micro Walshes were the $20,000 Revel Salons by Madrigal (spelling?). Many other speakers I auditioned were decent, but just not satisfying in the end. There are a lot of good ones in the $1,000 price range that I haven't heard I'm sure, hopefully I'll get to listen to more soon. I currently don't have a nice audio or home theater system setup at all. My next speakers are sitting out in the garage only 1/2 way complete.

edit: I'm thining of picking up a pair of Micro Walshes sometime before summer if I make it out to Brooklyn.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Kyle /forum/post/0

Hey TBomb and Christopher. I just want to add that I'm every bit as thrilled with my R5's as Vic is. These speakers really speak to me. I hear the Ohms have a similar effect on their owners and that's what it's about.

Hey,whats up Art,you gonna start spending more time over here? it seems kinda dead on ecoustics.The Rega R series is a great line and real spectacular with the Rega gear,I know it must be really good for you to replace the Studio 40's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.