AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while considering speakers i put together a set that has the mains at 8 ohms and the center and rears at 6 ohms. (they are sold this way by MFG (Axiom) I'm under the impression that all speaker ohms must match? my receiver is "100 watts per channel,min. RMS, driven into 8 ohms at 1 kHz" on all channels in surround mode. there is a switch for 4-6 or 8 -16 ohms on the receiver. are you aloud to mix ohms like that? will i be able to drive the speakers(with mixed ohms) without frying my receiver? what is the proper ohm setting(4-6,8-16) on receiver with those speakers(main 8, center and rears 6) and ohms if its OK to mix? should i play it safe at get all 8 ohms speakers? if its so bad why would they sell packages like that? help!! maybe i just don't understand.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Funny I just participated in a very similar thread in Axiom's forum here .

In short, absolutely no problem whatsoever in mixing the speakers with different ohm (impedance) specs. Also, you should set the receiver's ohm switch to "low" (4-6 ohm) if and ONLY IF the power amp's safety shutdown circuit (thermal or overcurrent) ever kicks in. Most receivers can get away with the "high" (8-16 ohm) setting without a problem, when driving efficient speakers like the Axioms. Setting the ohm switch to "low" will reduce the max power output of the receiver (see the link above).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, that link helped allot. im just concerned about spending 2k and then having to spend another grand on a receiver 2 days later, the wife would absolutly FREAK! by your statement and reading that link i should be ok with the setup. after reading and comparing 4 other brands the axioms (price/aesthetics) are the leading contender for me. of course i still have to listen to them.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Actually, while you are in the Axiom message boards, just search on "Ian" and "Alan" as usernames. Ian is the founder and chief engineer of Axiom; Alan is a former editor of a major Canadian audio magazine and currently the "resident expert" for Axiom. Their posts are so informative and enlightening! I guarantee that you will learn a lot in a short period of time.

I do not think you will be disappointed with the Axioms. Good luck! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.