Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just to be sure......

my 433-cmx has a speaker out rating of.....

L/R : 8-16 ohm / 2w x 2w (8ohm)

The intended Sony speakers are rated at 16 ohm each.

is this a compatible match?

thanks.....John

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
you can measure the resistance using a standard DVM.

If it's too low, you have to really watch out so you don't increase the volume too much (or you'll blow out the receiver).

In any case the 2W speakers are hardly useful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planned on running these speakers for watching the news and comptuer display............. Not to be used when watching DVD's and movies.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
still, you have to watch out not to blow them out and also your receiver.

If resistance is too low, it means the receiver has to drive twice as much current with any given power rating.

If these were high power rating speakers, the first to blow out would probably have been the receiver (i.e., you'd have to drive the volume very high and the high current requirement would cause either severe distortions or the receiver would overheat and blow itself out).

However, with such a low power rating, it's likely someone will accidentally put too much current through and cause the speakers to blow themselves out. Usually, the way to resolve this is to limit the maximum volume on these speakers so it's in the safety area.

However, since you have two sets of speakers, most receivers will not let you set two different volume ratings...

So, if you're planning to do this and drive the speakers through your receiver, you'd have to prepare yourself for the possibility that you'd one day blow them out because you left the volume on too high.

·
Registered
797 Posts
> you can measure the resistance using a standard DVM

Speakers are rated for their IMPEDENCE, not their RESISTENCE.

That DVM only measures RESISTENCE. Best to use the IMPEDENCE

specifications supplied by the manufacturer as this number can be

quite different from what the DVM will measure...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on running the Sony speakers from a reciever but from the Plasma itself and it only has L/R with the specs above.....

that is the question.........

John

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
edmc,

Oops sorry.

I tested with a normal DVM for RESISTANCE and it came out the same as the speaker rating, so I automatically assumed they were the same.

I'm assuming you're right. Sorry.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The difference is that impedance is AC and resistance is DC. What you are measuring with a DVM is the resistance (impedance at 0Hz DC). The impedance may vary over frequency. For this guy's plan to connect to the lower power amplifer in the plasma (not a receiver) a 16ohm speaker would work, but wouldn't be as efficient as an 8ohm - so the volume may not be great. But try it, it shouldn't harm anything, and see if its good enough.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If those speakers are rated with an efficiency of >90dB/W there should be no problem using them for normal level listening with that power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.