Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I've been using this site to gather valuable information. So before I put everything to use, frame and close in my HT I need to quiet down the hot an cold air plenums. Winter and summer they talk to me !

Is there a melt pad or spray material available to the general public I can apply to the exterior tin prior to dry-walling ? Are there any other techniques to consider ?

:)

·
Registered
940 Posts
The easiest way to cure this proplem is to add a few pieces of L-shaped sheet metal ( 1/2 x 1/2 x 24") on an angle to each of the ducts. Screws should be placed about 6-8" apart.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There is an old technique that I have used successfully for solving these sorts of problems: percussive maintenance. While this is admittedly a low tech solution, it has the advantage of being very inexpensive, and if it works then who cares?

The basic technique is to take a ball-peen hammer (the one with a round end) and whack the snot out of what's making the sound. The peen end will bend the metal and the crease will often prevent any further oil canning. Usually striking the center of the area is best, but feel free to experiment. I have used this technique on HVAC, but it has also been used on smaller gear like the top of a PC hard drive which was bugging me.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

Part of the problem is I'm not sure what sections are causing the problem. If the cost is reasonable I'd like to go the extra mile and apply the fix to everything. Or maybe just the sections near bedrooms and the HT. A co-worker mentioned a spray material but had no details on a supplier.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Had this prob and the hvac guy cut a slit in the duct on one side, and inserted a brace like the ones they use in the joist to keep the ducts supported. He bent the last inch or so 90 deg inserted it in the duct then bent the last inch or so that was sticking out of the slot 90 deg and screwed it to the duct. Covered it with the silver tape and done. The brace keeps the duct supported and it no longer makes any noise.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AFryia Part of the problem is I'm not sure what sections are causing the problem. If the cost is reasonable I'd like to go the extra mile and apply the fix to everything.[/b]
You could just glue some soundboard or ductboard to the duct work. The extra weight of the board would take care of the oil canning, and the board would help contain sound from leaking into / out of the ducts. I would suggest using a ductboard, as that will ensure there are no safety issues. For an adhesive, I would ask what shuold be used with the ductboard and see if that will hold to the duct work. If not, try to find an adhesive rated for high temperature usage. Not that the ducts get all that hot, but you don't want to take chances.

Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes there is a spray adhesive sound deadener on the market that does pass code to be sprayed on heat and cold air ducts. I will get you the brand and address of the company. We have a few cans of it at work in our tool crib. I can check on it monday for you.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ckaudio,

Yes please ! I moved just one cold air return yesterday and cut my hands to hell. So If I could apply a material rather than modify the existing it is prefered by both me and my HMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.