Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I started to build my theater with as assumption that I could build a combustable wall fairly close to a water boiler for my house heating system. Reading up on codes at my local town hall it always came back to manufacturer's specifications for clearence. Unfortunately, my boiler only bears the label Ultimate and I don't know if that's the model or the maker. Either way,.. I can't seem to determine the clearence requirements.

Anyone know how I can determine clearence needs? My heating oil company says 2 feet on all sides but I don't think that's correct as no part of this boiler gets hot to the touch.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Brian,

"My heating oil company says 2 feet on all sides but I don't think that's correct as no part of this boiler gets hot to the touch."

They probably say that to leave room for maintence on the unit. It would really stink if you put up a theater room only to have to tear it apart to clean your furnace for example.

Shawn

·
Registered
899 Posts
Like Shawn said, think about leaving plenty of room for maintence or repairs. I wanted to install my equipment rack closer to the back on one side wall, but my father said we should leave plenty of room for a serviceman to ge to it. Glad he did, even the way we did it, it'll be somewhat tight to work on it, the way I wanted it would have made working on it a real pickle.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I found out the the boiler only needs 6 inches to meet code but suggests 24 inches for service. I'm planning on leaving 20 inches for service and hope that's enough. The area around it should be fairly open so hopefully it will still be servicable.

-Brian

·
Registered
817 Posts
Brian,

In case no one has mentioned this to you yet - if you create a room around any device that performs combustion, you need to make sure that you have an adequate supply of combustion air entering that room. There are likely local codes in place that stipulate how much air you must provide into the enclosure. This is to ensure that you don't induce a backdraft that can carry fatal amounts of CO2 into your home.

Sometimes code restrictions seem arbitrary and a pain-in-the-butt; but other times, they clearly exist to ensure your safety..

Good luck,

Dwight

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dwight,

My basement is approx 1000 Square feet. I'm not building a room around the boiler but rather a room somewhat close to it. The maker of the boiler requires 5 feet in front of the boiler and that's not a problem.

I keep a CO2 detector in the basement already and I'm not closing in the boiler so I think I'm ok. (If I'm not I won't pass inspection since I got a permit and I'm planing to do it right if at all possible.) But.... Thanks for the information anyhow.

Your Pal,

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.