AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to say just how much I'm loving watching the NHL in high def.

I wanted to alert the HDNet producers (I've also e-mailed them at hd.net) of a special event tonight in Denver.

For the last 3 years, the Avalanche have paid some guy to be an "uber-fan" and just go bezerk during the "Cottoneye Joe" song in the 2nd period. He's highly entertaining and a crowd favourite. Anyway, tonight is his last night (thanks for the news flash, Drew Soicher!) -- he's moving to Hollywood to try to be an actor.

I was hoping to see him when I go to the Canucks game next week, but since tonight is his last night, I was hoping to see him do his stuff in Hi Def.

How about it, HDNet? Can your crew be watching midway through the 2nd and bring us his antics in HD?

Thanks guys -- you're doing an awesome job!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Elway retires, and now "Cottoneye Joe"? Oh the horrors! Please notify HDNet so the last show can be immortalized on HD hard drives.:eek:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I e-mailed Mike Fox and Darrell Ewalt -- the two producer/directors listed at hd.net. I know Mike has read this forum before and responded to requests (the in-the-truck-shot during the Canucks/Stars game) so I'm hoping to get their attention either here or in their e-mail.

RJS -- the couple of games I've been to, his dance song has been Cottoneye Joe, but the clip on 9News this morning also showed the John Denver tune. Maybe he alternates or something?

Mike and Darrell -- if you're reading this keep an ear open for the Country Boy song as well as Cotteneye Joe. When he starts going, you can't miss him. The jumbotron at Pepsi Center will be showing him if you can't get an angle from where your cameras are.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
The majority of the games I have seen he has danced to "Thank God I'm A Country Boy". He shouldn't be hard to miss though if the camera guys are paying attention.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's really funny, our 'minor league' hockey team here, the Quad City Mallards, had a Cottoneye Joe for a couple of years from 95-97. He would just kick his legs and dance up and down the isle and the whole place would stand and clap with him once a game when they played Cotteneye Joe. Then he left the area for a job, did his final dance in a tux top and jeans, and we never heard from him again.

So either he moved to Colorado or maybe some executive for the Avs got the idea from him. Or it could have started somewhere else and he stole the idea. It's still pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I won't swear this is true since I can't remember where I heard it. The story I heard was that this kid was working concessions at the Avs games, and the management asked if anyone would do some dancing in the aisle during a break in the game and he volunteered. The rest is history, as they say. I have no idea where the management of the Avs got the idea, although the old Rockies (our former NHL team, now moved to New Jersey as the Devils) used to use a guy named Crazy George who would walk up and down the aisle with a drum and lead cheers and do other stuff to rev up the crowd. I always figured that was where they got the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.