Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is where I am at. I have been looking at two set ups:

First, Harman Kardon avr235 $329 shipped from ecost as a receiver. Using my Bose bookshelves as front and rears and most likely Infinity center $160 at CC and sub 10" front firing around $200 at CC.

Second, just buy the Onkyo 780B and replace front and rears with my Bose 201's $449 includes Shipping vanns.

I have one week til we move and then I will "pull the trigger". Not really sure which one would be best to go with and I do not have a lot of experience with HT's in general.

Please help me lean one way or the other based on your knowledge. I am sick of talking with BB and CC salespersons. No disrespect if anyone here works at either store.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Your first option looks more attractive to me, you'll have better fronts and rears (I assume - don't know much about Bose bookshelves), the receiver's a good deal. I'd look into the Dayton 12" sub at www.partsexpress.com , slightly cheaper and good reviews.

The 780 receiver is nice, but the sub will only be adequate. Can't see spending $450 for just the receiver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have noticed your comments often about the Onkyo's and that you had/have one. The salesperson said that the Onkyo would be more of a power receiver for maybe teenagers or party system and that the HK would be more quality listening, but still have plenty of energy to spare.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The 780 receiver is labelled HTR 530, but it's the 503. The only thing difference is how they rate the power 110 [email protected] 1khz one channel driven or 75 w from 20hz-20khz with 2 channels driven. The HK235 is 50w from 20hz-20khz 7 channels driven. I have the Onkyo 520 last years model and I'm looking at the 235 as an upgrade. You should too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the HK.... I don't own one but have long been a fan of their equipment. With a good receiver you have a base to build on not just immediately but in the future if/when you choose to upgrade around it. Going with a HTiB over well thought out equipment choices could easily make you wish you had built your system piece by piece, and you might get the itch to upgrade again anyway then wind up spending money twice.

I've made this mistake in the past 6 months myself, choosing a set of 'okay' speakers as my surrounds and not being satisfied, then turning around and buying a different set that will better suit my room acoustics and tastes. The good thing about that is, if you're building piece by piece you aren't looking at buying a whole new setup every time you upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.