Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just got a 5040 last night. A few basic questions. DirecTV feed here. Using IR blaster, my serial port doesn't work, unfortunately. Using dial-up modem for the moment, don't have a long enough ethernet cable yet.

If I'm watching something live, and then a guaranteed heme-based recording event comes up on a different channel, will it switch to the other channel and start recording?

None of my shows are being recorded when I just press REC once on it from the guide. I get a "message" saying " The Guaranteed Record of was discarded because a network operation was in progress." I've gotten this at 3:59am, 5:59am, and 9:59am so far.

The 5040 tries to tune my local channels through the DirecTV receiver. I have the roof antenna plugged into the 5040 directly. In the setup menu, I have the "Change ANT/CATV" set to Antenna Connection using built-in tuner. Shouldn't it be using the tuner inside the 5040? It doesn't seem to be.

One last thing, when the 5040 tries to tune to a channel that's 2 digits, it doesn't put a zero in front of it, so my receiver doesn't accept the channel change. Any idea how to fix that?

Great forum!!!!! I've learned alot already from searching. Some great hacks out there too--I'm definately looking forward to archiving my shows on CD..... Thanks much!!

-m

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yes, it will change the channel automatically. If you're watching the show delayed, then you can finish watching what's in the buffer even though the recording has started on the other channel. That is, you can finish watching the x number of minutes you are delayed.

Most likely when you setup DirectTV, you picked the DirecTV, Local city lineup. It has local channels as well. If you don't subscribe to local channels from DTV, go back into setup, to network and input settings, to whichever input has your directv, and choose DirecTV, National.

If your RTV can't tune to single digit channels, then there's an easy fix. I just don't have it handy. If you check the FAQ that's here, there's a FAQ item about IR fine tuning. One of the solutions in the FAQ item deals with what to do when the ReplayTV won't tune to single digit channels. If you don't find the answer by Monday, I'll have it for you then when I'm back on my work computer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

I finally bought a 50 foot ethernet cable and after hard power cycling the unit it got on the internet via DHCP and the update worked. The unit now records properly!!

I also changed my DirecTV regional setting to National, and the antenna channels work perfectly! Thanks so much for the tip.

It's already recorded some stuff on my setup schedule, this thing is great! I just wish I had 2 of them.

The wife even is starting to like it!

I haven't looked into the double and single digit channel tuning yet--am just happy to get it to record something. I'll look into the FAQ you suggested.

Thanks much!

-m

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

I specified another remote type and it seems to have fixed the single digit channel change problem.

My only remaining problem is finding more shows to record!

Thanks much for the help.

-m

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.