AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just call me confused....Separates or not...

In the running.......Outlaw separates ($2500)

Denon 5803........................................($3200)

Yamaha Z1..........................................($2795)

Rotel Separates..................................($3000)

These prices are approximate...some from the net...some MSRP.

If you own one of these and love it, tell me why

If you own one and made a mistake...please advise

If you think theres something better in this range...what?

I own Phase Technologies speakers now & love them

Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hummmm, no choice for hookers and beer? ;)

Well, ok, I'd then go for Denon or Rotel. (had a 5803 and loved it).

You could probably add B&K, Fosgate and Sherwood to the mix as well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm surprised to not see an Outlaw option. Is there a reason you've already ruled it out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rtype
I'm surprised to not see an Outlaw option. Is there a reason you've already ruled it out?
No, It is at the top of the list ie (outlaw separates)

Because it is not sold in stores...you have to believe the specs and comments of users....It certainly deserves a look...or should I say HEAR.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Corr
Hummmm, no choice for hookers and beer? ;)

Well, ok, I'd then go for Denon or Rotel. (had a 5803 and loved it).

You could probably add B&K, Fosgate and Sherwood to the mix as well.
Too many choices...I guess I'll take the hookers and beer...hehe

Thanks for the feed back on the Denon....why did you change?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Man, I'm just blind. I saw seperates but totally didn't see Outlaw over there to the right. So are you considering one of the Outlaw multichannel amps or are you considering a set of the M200 monoblocks?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've got Outlaw stuff and am a big believer in them. You couldn't go wrong with Outlaw.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I would go with the Denon, simply for the video conversion and other advanced features. The amp power is adequate for most rooms and speakers (and you could always add an external amp down the road if you need more juice).

Can't you find a dealer that will let you take both home and audition (using your speakers and room)? Dealers selling $3k+ items usually pride themselves on customer service.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You might have trouble finding a Denon 5803--they seem to have stopped making them. And they are not expected to announce a replacement until January. And the Yamaha is being replaced by the Z9, in the next month or two, I think.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Integra DTC 9.4

Sherbourn Or B&K amp

Edit:

If you shop around, you could probably even find a New B&K Ref 50 and still have those amps ;)

-Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diode1
Integra DTC 9.4

Sherbourn Or B&K amp

Edit:

If you shop around, you could probably even find a New B&K Ref 50 and still have those amps ;)

-Jerry
I'll second those suggestions.Also,have you had a look at the used market?

Shawn

·
Registered
565 Posts
I too agree with Diode1. The new Integra DTC-9.4 is fully loaded, with a sound quality comparable to B&K ref50, I like it, but...You can't upgrade it :(

And Sherbourn makes great amps. If you want a receiver you might look into B&K's Avr-507 it is as close to separates in a box as you will find at this point. It puts out about 45 amps of dynamic power. But Denon is supposed to be releasing their new next gen Receiver line in January.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kraigk
I've got Outlaw stuff and am a big believer in them. You couldn't go wrong with Outlaw.
The ($2500) combo multi channel pair....my only concern is the preamp

is very inexpensive....I wonder about the build quality....also...I do not believe it has video upconversion, which would be nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn O
I'll second those suggestions.Also,have you had a look at the used market?

Shawn
Have not looked at the used market...I do have the specs on the new integra...impressive....Also considering the new Yamaha coming out this month (Z-9)...It looks like they broke the mold on this one...a little pricey at $4200 though....a Denon 5803 can be purchased for around $3100 on the net. (Great value)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kraigk
Hey, I just checked out your site....nice...How do you like your 130" screen matched with the Dwin. I have considered the Dwin...but to expensive..maybe used. I believe I will buy the NEC 1000. (Around $3500)....It seems to have the most for the buck...another consideration is the JVC used for around $2800. Thanks for your input.

Do you feel the Outlaw preamp has everything you need, and are you happy with the end result (sound)???

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've found a place that has "B" stock Denon AVR-5803 receivers. They are authorized and they also sell on E-bay from time-to-time. Their price: $2,998 :)

Oh, be prepared for a larger image of the 5803 to appear on your screen when you click the link - DakMart's Denon AVR-5803

I should also add that if you are leaning towards the 5803, there are some used 5802s that have been upgraded to the 5803 via the Denon upgrade and can be found for $2600 @ Audiogon.

Best of luck !! Wish I had $3,500 for a receiver or pre/pro upgrade. Yowzaa !!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The refurb Denon only has a one year warranty - most separates have a 5 year warranty. If you are not in a hurry you may want to wait until the new Sherwood Newcastle pre comes out, maybe in October, and rumor is it will have DPLIIx; not sure of the price, but probably about $1,500 street. As for amps, plenty of good options under $2,000, including Outlaw 755/775, Sherbourn, ATI.

Dsmith

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well, first off imo you should buy a used amp. Amps are the safest things you can buy used (almost nothing will break or wear out) plus you can get soem INCREDIBLE deals. You can get 7 channels of amplification for 1200~1600 easily and they would KILL the amps in any reciever..imo some nice valued amps would be H/K,LEXICON(same as bryston but cheaper),PARASOUND to name a few.

That would leave1900~2300 for your processor...many choices b/k-50,integra pre-pro or you could get something like a denon 3803, rx-v2400,pioneer 55 and also be able to pocket some money to boot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
gwaehner,

I'd agree with psujohny, buying a quality amp and mating it with a cheaper receiver is a great way to break into a separate setup. That way in a couple of years, you can spend another couple of grand on a dedicated pro, still have the amp to use, and have a kick-a setup. In the meantime, you'll definitely have a better quality system. If you want to go really cheap with a receiver as a pro, try these:

Yamaha RX-V730 (or 740)

Pioneer VSX 811 (or 812)

Marantz 4300

Not all the hookup options of some other receivers, but a good start. They all have pre-outs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Take a look at the Sherwood Newcastle Pre/Pro due out in the beginning of Ocotober, looks like a fine unit with all the features of flagship AVRs except for DVI capabilities.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.