AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting on the 65 panny s1 out late august but the problem is is 65 just seems to big for my room. now im looking at the 58's but am not sure if they will fit the bill. that puts the pio 600m 60" directly in my path.

my questions-

will it out shine the new panny s1's.(58)

how about the beautiful punch in color on the sammy b58's

what about the Pio and only 2 HDMI. i need 3. how do i handle that. im a set it and forget it kinda guy. tweak once and enjoy for years.

please please help

·
Registered
39 Posts
The s1 isn't even in the ballpark of the 600m picture quality wise. Should be a no brainer.

Don't know about the sammy but their problems have been documented before and again, the Pio is still the king.

You can find a good HDMI switcher to solve that problem OR get a new AV reciever that has usually at least 4 HDMI inputs and then you will have a single output to your TV.

Though that begs the question if you don't have an AV reciever you know that the 600m doesn't come with speakers.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukstin /forum/post/16984511

The s1 isn't even in the ballpark of the 600m picture quality wise. Should be a no brainer.

Don't know about the sammy but their problems have been documented before and again, the Pio is still the king.

You can find a good HDMI switcher to solve that problem OR get a new AV reciever that has usually at least 4 HDMI inputs and then you will have a single output to your TV.

Though that begs the question if you don't have an AV reciever you know that the 600m doesn't come with speakers.

I do have a Pio 03 receiver. how about these patches for the 600m i keep reading about. also- can i use avia to dial in the Pio?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/16984395

I was waiting on the 65 panny s1 out late august but the problem is is 65 just seems to big for my room. now im looking at the 58's but am not sure if they will fit the bill. that puts the pio 600m 60" directly in my path.

my questions-

will it out shine the new panny s1's.(58)

how about the beautiful punch in color on the sammy b58's

what about the Pio and only 2 HDMI. i need 3. how do i handle that. im a set it and forget it kinda guy. tweak once and enjoy for years.

please please help

Ok,, I will try and talk you out of it, but do know in doing so my life will be in danger from the Kuro police.

I recently sold my 60" 6020 Kuro and YES, they are great plasma's but I think the Panasonics are great plasma's as well.

You say 65" looked to big for your room, it wont after you get it, one of the things I did not like about my Kuro is that it was not 65 inches.

TV's have a way of shrinking real fast after you get them !!!!!

You mentioned the Panny S1, why is the Panny 65" V10 not on your shopping list, the V10 is suppose to have a picture thats closer to the Kuro than the S1 does.

Now here is the part were I really get in trouble on this forum, I actually like the picture better on Panasonic's than I do the Kuro, to me, my opinion, the Kuro picture is just a tad bit to dark overall compared to the Pannys, to me, the Pannys have a bit more pop in the colors,,, just my personal taste I guess.

Also, unless you had a S1 or V10 sitting right next to a Kuro and were comparing them side by side I dont think you would be unhappy with the picture from either of the Pannys at all.

Like I said, I owned a Kuro, and yes, its a great display but if I were buying a plasma today it would be the 65" Panny S1 or V10, and if not the 65 incher the 58" S1 or V10.

Ok, I guess this is were all the death threats and the flaming will begin against me for picking the new Panasonic's over the Kuro.

My home address is,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16985930

Ok,, I will try and talk you out of it, but do know in doing so my life will be in danger from the Kuro police.

You're under arrest so much it hurts.

mercury: you can use a HDMI switch if you decide to go for the Pioneer and need an additional HDMI. As for the "punch" in color, a properly calibrated KRP-M displays very accurate primaries and secondaries with regards to hue, saturation and luminance (AFAIK).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was rather impatiently waiting for the 65V10 as I needed the size for my room. Had Panasonic come through in June, as they originally indicated on their website, I would have bought the V10. I then had the chance to see a 60 Elite and a V10 in a Magnolia showroom. Three days later I bought the 141FD (didn't need the tuner or speakers). I haven't had the set calibrated yet but I have to say that it is the best picture I have ever seen on a plasma display.

I partially solved the problem by moving my couch up a foot.

I also have a 6020 and a G10 and an 800U in the house. The Pios, IMHO, just provide a deeper, richer picture.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Get an elite kuro.
I would get the 600M with the patch but if you want to spend more go ahead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in the same boat a week ago. I now have a beautiful Pioneer KRP-600M

mounted on my wall. Patch will be installed after the initial break-in period.

Well worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in the same boat here. I was just about ready to buy a 50v10 and then I stumbled upon the 500m. (While doing all my previous research I mistakenly assumed that all Kuros were out of my price range.)

Right now I am leaning toward the 500m but I still have some concerns.

1. Does it have an equivalent warranty to the Panasonic? They both look like 1 year but with Pioneer out of the tv business I am a little worried if something happens 4 years out.

2. All this calibration stuff and secret unlocking codes is over my head and I really don't need to know about it. Will I be able to get a great picture out of the box using only the on screen adjustments?

3. Speakers. All I have is a 10 year old Onkyo reciever with no HDMI, a good pair of bookshelf style speakers and a sub. I trust that I will be able to use this set-up to get sound out of the 500m?

4. Mounting - It sucks that the 500m does not come with a stand but I understand Pioneer's desire to offer a bare bones product at a decent cost. Wall mounting is not an option. It looks like I can get a Pioneer stand on ebay at a decent price. Any problems with this?

I should say that 90% of what I watch is sports in HD. I have little doubt that the 500m is the superior display, just not quite sure how much of a difference I would notice between the V10 and 500m sitting 8-10ft away.

Thanks for your help. These forums are great, I have learned a lot and read through as many threads as possible but I am running out of tiime.

·
Vendor
32,431 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk /forum/post/16988004

I am in the same boat here. I was just about ready to buy a 50v10 and then I stumbled upon the 500m. (While doing all my previous research I mistakenly assumed that all Kuros were out of my price range.)

Right now I am leaning toward the 500m but I still have some concerns.

1. Does it have an equivalent warranty to the Panasonic? They both look like 1 year but with Pioneer out of the tv business I am a little worried if something happens 4 years out.

2. All this calibration stuff and secret unlocking codes is over my head and I really don't need to know about it. Will I be able to get a great picture out of the box using only the on screen adjustments?

3. Speakers. All I have is a 10 year old Onkyo reciever with no HDMI, a good pair of bookshelf style speakers and a sub. I trust that I will be able to use this set-up to get sound out of the 500m?

4. Mounting - It sucks that the 500m does not come with a stand but I understand Pioneer's desire to offer a bare bones product at a decent cost. Wall mounting is not an option. It looks like I can get a Pioneer stand on ebay at a decent price. Any problems with this?

I should say that 90% of what I watch is sports in HD. I have little doubt that the 500m is the superior display, just not quite sure how much of a difference I would notice between the V10 and 500m sitting 8-10ft away.

Thanks for your help. These forums are great, I have learned a lot and read through as many threads as possible but I am running out of tiime.

Not sure if the following will help, but the 500M is a superior display and thus has no tuners and thus cannot serve as an audio source. You must supply all video and audio sources. The Panasonic model is a great TV and is not a display, that is it has tuners and comes with various bells and whistles so you can just connect a cable or antenna and the TV will show you the video and you can get the audio from its speakers. The 500M requires you to supply everything.

In terms of video display and related video performance, it is superior to the Panasonic V series but not by so much that it is always evident. I suspect you would be pleased with either one as long as you understand that one is a display only and the other a "TV".

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16990005

Well if you need a stand and you are going over-the-air and a tuner is needed, the Panasonic TC-P58V10 is a hell of a unit for less $$$

I don't need OTA although it's a nice backup to have if satellite service happens to be out.

The 58V10 is a little more than I want to spend, which is why I'm looking at the 50V10 vs. 500m. These are priced about the same right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfactor /forum/post/16990135

Not sure if the following will help, but the 500M is a superior display and thus has no tuners and thus cannot serve as an audio source. You must supply all video and audio sources. The Panasonic model is a great TV and is not a display, that is it has tuners and comes with various bells and whistles so you can just connect a cable or antenna and the TV will show you the video and you can get the audio from its speakers. The 500M requires you to supply everything.

In terms of video display and related video performance, it is superior to the Panasonic V series but not by so much that it is always evident. I suspect you would be pleased with either one as long as you understand that one is a display only and the other a "TV".

Yes - I understand that the 500m is just a monitor. I have a Dish network 612 DVR that would be my tuner. Will also hook up a Blu-ray player eventually. I guess I need to know how to get sound from both devices using my 10 year old receiver. Can the TV act as a pass-thru and then send the sound back to my receiver?

Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk /forum/post/16990309

Yes - I understand that the 500m is just a monitor. I have a Dish network 612 DVR that would be my tuner. Will also hook up a Blu-ray player eventually. I guess I need to know how to get sound from both devices using my 10 year old receiver. Can the TV act as a pass-thru and then send the sound back to my receiver?

Thanks.

Without knowing what inputs and outputs are available on your 10 year old receiver, it is hard to be specific. But, if your Dish device outputs component video you could connect direct to the component inputs of the Pioneer or Panasonic. The audio output from the dish (Coax, optical)could go directly to your receiver ( Coax in or optical in). Since the dish can only put out 1080i, component will be fine. Blue ray offers a major challenge for your receiver.

While you can connect a blue ray player either to the HDMI or DVI inputs of the display or TV to get the 1080 p video, your receiver will not be able to deal with the very excellent sound on most blue ray disks. If your receiver has 6 channel analog inputs and the blue ray player has outputs you can get close. I suspect though you will have to settle with either optical or coax from the blue ray player into your receiver. If your receiver is short on inputs for the dish box and blue ray, you might want to just buy a good modern receiver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.