AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a brand new house. They wired it up nicely to a small ONq box.

So, there are six rooms with CATV/Phone line going to this box, each line is a home run to the box. There is one input cable for the phone, and for cable tv. They are currently not attached to anything, just hanging out on the outside of the house.

So I'll mount a new 3 LNB satellite Terk S25 sattelite. It has Sat A,B, and C. And then a multiswitch with four outputs. So I have four wires coming from my dish on the roof to my Structured Media Cabinet (gonna type SMC for easy typing)

What I'd like to do, is in one room, across the single wire already put there, run two DSS (DirecTV) connections to my existing DirecTiVo receiver. In another either run a single DTV connection, or a single CATV connection depending on what I end up doing.

What can I do to do something like this? I've seen these 3x8 things, but I'm not sure that does what I want to do. Does it put 3 inputs into 8 outputs, or is it 3 inputs selected to 8 outputs so only one output from the 3 inputs goes across one wire at any time?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You need to bring the four coax cables from the multi switch to the SMC and connect the directly to the four room cables. You could combine a cable feed with an appropriate splitter on both ends.

John Stephens

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
John Stephens - that is not a "splitter" but rather a diplexor - and you need one at each end of the cable for each TV/satellite receiver

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the diplexors. I just want to combine two satellite wires up through on coax on my wall.

The ones I see all show 'satellite in' and 'CATV/VHF/UHF in' on them. Can I use those for two satellite ins? The instructions on them are extremely limited.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
No you can't.

Or rather, it's going to cost big bucks (like $300 or so). You need to get a STacker and de-stacker .

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Why do you want to combine two satellite signals? Each TIVO receiver requires 2 SEPARATE satellite feeds.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
He doesn't want to pull a 2nd RG6 run to the D -Tivo. He can either use the D-Tivo in single tuner, mode, pull the 2nd cable, or find the Stackers / de-stackers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.