AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I hear for months and months is about Pioneer elites,Mitsu, and Toshibas RPTVs. I know we all tend to be brand loyal but give me a break! What is wrong with Panasonic? I own a 65wx50 and a tuhds-20. It's ISF'd and is beautiful. I know it is not the best out there but the silence about this manufacturer (except for bashing)speaks volumns.The post upgrade stb (V7.4) is exceptional and the tv looks better than most I see in hi end audio/video stores costing much more.What gives? Are my eyes fading as I get older so I don't see the difference or is it price point testosterone kicking in. Is their long term reliabilty an issue? Enlightenment please.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I've been battling Panasonic customer support for about 8 months now, and still haven't been able to get a resolution to a problem with my 56wXF95. They have pretty much lost me as a future customer, regardless of the quality of any new products.

------------------

VJM

[This message has been edited by vjmurphy (edited 07-06-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ditto with vjmurphy. The customer support is rotten, unless you escalate to a supervisor. I have a TUHDS20 and it took me weeks to get them to acknowledge I had a bad unit. Furthermore, the directions they gave me to try to correct the problem and the expectations they had of me to permanently fix the problem were borderline ludicrous. I can give specifics. I work in a customer service intensive industry (wireless phone service provider) and I have a good idea what is reasonable to expect from regular customers and knowledgeable customers. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my STB, now that I have a new one. I chalk up my experience to early adopter-itis, so I'm willing to go along for the ride with them, but I am going to tell them what they need to do to improve.

LeeG

·
Registered
381 Posts
I waited close the 40 minutes for them to answer the phone, but they did exchange my defective DST50 STB and I am very satisfied. In fact they even called me back after I exchanged the unit to make sure that it was working OK.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
In August of this year, my original Panasonic 56" HDTV will be 3 years old. Yes, I purchased one of the very first ones available. It has performed flawlessly and looks just great. What else can I say?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I had problems with the TU-DST51, they exchanged it three times to get it right. All through the process they were helpful and as sr says, they called back to confirm the problem was resolved.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, I have to chime in here. I have 2 thoughts about Panasonic: (1) they have outstanding products when they are working right, and (2) they have the worst customer service of any reputable firm I have ever dealt with. While I have had a few interactions with Panasonic support employees in which they were polite and attempted to be helpful, I have also had several where they were rude, surly and completely uninterested in resolving the issues. You really have to push hard to get them to do what they should already be doing (and I'm talking about simply honoring the warranty on a defective product).

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
I've found their quality very high. When shopping for a direct-view HD set, I looked at everyone. I thought for sure I'd wind up with Sony (that's all I've ever had in direct-view NTSC sets), but was shocked when I saw the 34" Tau. I thought, to my eyes, it definitely had the best looking picture of any I had seen (I had not seen the Sampo, but saw all others).

I also had the Panny TU-HDS20 but wound up returning it for all the issues reported here. However, I still think it probably had the best overall picture quality of any of the new STBs. Only my built-in Zenith had the edge overall.

·
Registered
148 Posts
George,

There's nothing wrong with them. I have a 56" WXF95 and it looks incredible.

I think it is really a numbers thing. When I bought my set this was about it for Panasonics. Mits, Pioneer, Toshiba, all had big lines to choose from. That is changing and a lot of people are finding the new 47" Panasonics much to their liking.

The early Panasonics were buggy too, but nothing that most didn't overcome. I went through three sets to get one that worked properly, but I've had this almost a year now and it is wonderful.

Brian

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've always like Panasonic products, so when I opened my own store, it was a 'no brainer' to sign them up. With that said, I find it difficult to recommend their RP sets compared to Toshiba's.

Their feature set is always at least 1 model year behind Toshiba. For instance, their latest 4:3 sets match Toshiba's 2000 model year sets with 9-point convergence, dual HD component inputs, and 1080i vertical compression. But they still don't have individual memories for different input types and direct input selection.

On top of that, Panasonic's sets just came out and the Toshiba's that they compete with are just discontinued! In a couple of months, the new Tosh sets will ship and feature:

* automatic convergence system

* scan doubler with selectable Film and Video modes

* 16:9 compression for anamorphic DVDs

* 16:9 mode raster shift to prevent burn-in

On the positive side, Pansonic's build quality is excellent, and their sets will generally give you years of trouble-free performance.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
John -

I'm curious: how is Panasonic to deal with as a vendor? If you have problems with defective merchandise, do they generally handle it as well as other vendors? Or do you get the same kind of problems and run-around that some of us end-users get?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
George, thank you very much for the kind words!

acourvil, Panasonic as a company is worse to deal with then, say, Toshiba, but not significantly so. The real difference is that I get the feeling that Toshiba appreciates me as a dealer and Panasonic thinks I should appreciate them!

Defectives are always a big PITA. With most of the vendors, DOA product has go to in for service first. The service department then determines whether it should be repaired or replaced. I've had a DOA DVD-RP91 in for service since May 30th and they refuse to replace it.

------------------

John Golitsis

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all! Just as I suspected, poor quility control and inconsistant customer service. I didn't know they were so much smaller than the other manufactures or they were so far behind bringing out new models, interesting.

JohnnyG, I bought a silver sensor from you back in February. You are an excellent E-retailer. Everyone, give him a try!

BTW, I am the one that mounted it outside on a mast (with rotor and amp). After some pretty nasty weather these past months it is still going strong. I checked it out and there seems to be very little (if any) ware and tare. Pass it on if you like.

Thanks, George

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
According to one dealer I spoke to, Panasonic's 65" 720p RPTV

is already discontinued. He thinks their 56" 720p RPTV might

also be discontinued, but he wasn't postive about that.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a PT-51HX41 on my showroom floor and decided to take a peek inside. Very, very clean design! There are only 2 major PCBs, a power supply board and a signal processing board. Both boards are highly integrated and very nicely laid out. There are no jumpers either, at least on the top side.

The lens area is covered with plastic to prevent light leakage and the focus knobs on the lenses themselves are right there in front of you.

Overall, a very nice design internally, with excellent attention to detail.

Now if they could only get their feature set up to snuff!

------------------

John Golitsis

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.