AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tearing myself up trying to make a decision on which speaker/sub system to buy. I was hoping to get some input from the group. I have narrowed it down to two:

1) Axiom, 2 M60's, VP150, 2 QS8's, EP500 $2935.50 total

or

2) Ascend, 2 340SE's, 340SE Center, 2 170Se surrounds, Hsu VTF-3 HO(probably w/ Turbo) $2496 total

This is driving me nuts because I like them both. The Axioms are more esthetically pleasing to me and I like the surrounds a lot, but they are more $$$ and I think the Ascends may offer better overall sound. The Hsu Ultimate 1 was in the running but I have had no luck anywhere, even Hsu's forum, trying to get an answer on mounting options. And that REALLY irked me. The system is a steal at $2200 delivered, but I don't want to spend another $300 on mounting, hell if I even know what mounts/stands to buy!!!

Anyway, back to the Axiom Vs. Ascend dilemma. My room is 27 X 13 w/ 7' drop ceiling. I will be using the system for music and theater. Any opinions on this decision I would love to hear. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and this is driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Can you order a pair of both and see which you like best. That would be the way to go. In the end it'll cost you return shipping on 1 pair but when you're investing $2500 - $3000 it's a small price to pay to know for sure.

As far as subs, I'd go with the VTF-3 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went the Ascend route and I'm not looking back! They sound incredible. I went with 340s across the front and 200s for the rears. I did a VFT MK3 without turbo (my room is 3400 c/f). You will enjoy whichever route you choose.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Hsu are fantastic value in subs. Maybe you should get the Hsu with whatever set of speakers. There's no voicing to match there.

I find Axioms look great on pictures but just okay at best in real life. I recall the finish to be like a counter-top Formica rather than a real wood veneer. Am I remembering correctly?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit /forum/post/0

Im in the same boat you are... I read that they are both very good sets of speakers. To make it worse, I'm also considering the Onix Rockets. There's a really good deal running on them now so that doesnt help much....

Misterkit,

Have you seen this deal from AV123?

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18561

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same dilemma as you and I am now leaning toward the Rockets. Especially with the deal they are offering I am very close to pulling the trigger. I am trying to decide what surround option to go with.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.