AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ok to spend up to $3000 on a new setup. I currently am using a X1 ceiling mounted projecting a 85" image from about 10-11 feet away. I like my DLP so i don't have any reservations about that.

I want a projector that can get relatively bright and have excellent image quality and be native 720p. I use a pc now as my DVD player and would like the new projector to work very well for both pc games and XBox/ Xbox 360. It needs to play games great. THat is the main reason for the upgrade, that and HDTV.

Like I was saying right now I'm very happy with what I have but it is not very good for Games of any sort. Also I would like to spend as little as possible like all normal people. :)

Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to let you guys know I've been seriously looking at the Sanyo z3, Sony HS-51, benq pe7700, Optoma h77. I was considering the z3 for the price and the others for the quality.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
All good choices. I'd suggest waiting a 2 months months and see what is to come after the CEDIA show not to mention probable price drops.

·
Registered
632 Posts
One vote for the Toshiba MT700 and Benq 7700.

Of course if you wait new stuff will be out there (CEDIA + 6 months) and cheaper (as soon as the future models are announced).

If your happy wait; if you want to see the football season in hi def - Benq

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I also vote for the Toshiba TDP-MT700 or Benq PE7700.

(I am a very happy MT700 owner.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is ALWAYS going to be a reason to wait "just a little longer" for this or that. Thats the thing w/ electronics, you just have to take the plunge. Thats my take anyway.

Oh yeah - count my vote for the BENQ as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity how much better is the image gonna look on the benq vs. the Z3. I have found the Z3 very cheap and it's just so hard to pass on it if the benq is only ever so slightly better. I could save that 1100 clams and put it into upgrading my htpc and some xbox 360 stuff.

As I have stated I have a X1 now and was curious if I will se a night and day difference or will it only be minor. I would have to imagine the hd stuff will be night and day but how will the non hd stuff fare?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Damn a lot of votes for the BenQ... I wonder if I should consider the BenQ...

Granted it would run me an extra grand...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's really funny because i was just over on the big screen forums and there are a bunch of posts on this topic, z3 vs. benq. And unlike over here, over there the opinion of most of the people is to get the z3 and save the extra cash. I don't know why they are so for the z3 but they seem to believe the image is about as good as the benq.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I echo MikeA's thoughts exactly... Another vote for the BenQ (note that I have this PJ)...

suade, yes the internals of MT700 & BenQ are the same... you basically pay a bit more for the BenQ for an extra year warranty, and it's OEM. The people on the other forum probably haven't A/Bed the Z3 and 7700 (can't say I have either, but that's the only way you can really tell if it's worth the difference).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all your feedback. I'm pretty sure that the benq will outshine the z3 all day but by how much who knows?

Out of curiosity. How big of a improvement do you guys think any of these projectors will be over my current infocus X1?

One thing I love about my x1 is it works fantastic as a computer monitor, should I expect this of all new projectors?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im kind of in the same situation as you... I want to upgrade from my Screenplay 4805 and I dont know where to go... I dont really want to spend $3,000 either although I have about $4,000 available if I absolutely insisted on buying a higher end projector... I made a thread asking about the AE700 and the Z3 myself, but Im not sure if I will like LCD as much as DLP although I do want more resolution and less SDE... SDE is the number one thing bugging me... other than that and the lack of resolution I like my 4805.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
suade907 -- The MT700 (and PE7700) seem to have a better, sharper picture than the Z3 (I've seen them both). I was really leaning towards the Z3, until I saw ChrisW6ATV's MT700. It was noticeably better, thanks again Chris. I found a good deal on a slightly used MT700 from a fellow AVS member, and bought it (another happy MT700 owner).

Either the Z3 or the PE7700/MT700 will blow the socks off the X1 (slight exaggeration :D). As for computer connections, a lot depends on the video card and the PJ. ChrisW6ATV doesn't have any problems with his and I can't get mine to work like his (still troubleshooting that one - we are using almost the same video cards too -- I get a nice picture, it's just not 1280 x 720).

·
Registered
241 Posts
DLP's have a much better picture than LCD's. They have greater contrast and ansi contrast, more acurate and vivid color reproduction, and a far more acceptable screendoor effect. These benifits (most of which are not illustrated very well with the x1) are definately worth an $1000, money you'll get back in resale value when you sell, or through years of extra enjoyment if you don't.

My vote is for the benq and if you wish to save the extra $1000 then I would wait for the z4. The small amount extra spent comes back in the same fashion.

Sam.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
suade907-

My Toshiba MT700 was a direct replacement for an Infocus X1. It makes an excellent big-screen computer display-very much like the X1, but higher resolution of course. (I just tried Google Earth on it tonight-incredible!) The three biggest improvements for me over the X1 were:

1) Higher resolution (this is obvious of course). It really makes HD programming look great. It also let me view a bigger picture from the same viewing spot without having excessive 'screen-door' or 'stair-step' artifacts.

2) 16:9 aspect ratio rather than the 4:3 of the X1. In a hi-def-centric world, it is much better when the HD and other wide-screen content is bigger than the 4:3 rather than smaller.

3) Shorter 'throw ratio' that actually let me achieve the bigger picture from the same viewing (and projector-mounting) location.

Claus, you're welcome, and I'm happy that you're in the MT700 owner 'family' now. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, THe money I would save by getting a z3 is looming over my head right now. And if that would satisfy me in the end I would be upset if I spent more so i just ordered a Z3 from a reputable store with a great return policy. If I end up feeling the picture is not as good or I can't get it setup to my liking then I can return it as long as I don't put over 2 hours on it.

So in the end i see it as a test drive. If the z3 is not up to snuff then I will probably look at the mt700 my only problem with that is the screen offset, or the new z4. I have never seen a lcd projector so I don't even know if I will like this design. But I figure give it a try and if it doesn't work out so be it.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well, the Z3 will most definitely look better than the X1, so if that's your baseline, you won't return it. The question is how it compares in your eyes to the 7700/700.

By the way, I upgraded directly from an X1 to a 7700 and absolutely love it. HD sources unquestionably look incredibly better, and there's no SDE outside of 4'.

Good luck with your Z3 -- I hope you like it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If contrast is important to you, go with the Optoma H77... Double the calibrated contrast of the 7700. It is not perfect ( none of the are), but based on all I have seen and read it has the best picture of any of those you mentioned.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope I like it too. I figure it can't hurt to try the z3 and if it's not up to snuff I'll probably be getting a dlp. It's hard for me to justify the extra grand without even seeing the z3 in action. I had seen a hs51 at fry's electronics a while back and it looked pretty good. I know the z3 is close to that.

Only time will tell. But thanks guys for all the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.