AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to spend around $900 on new pre/pro or perhaps a receiver to use as a pre/pro.

I currently have an aging Outlaw Audio 950 and the 7100 7 channel amp.

I have been very happy with the unit but recently it started not responding to the remote and it is out of warranty and time for retirement.

I was waiting for the new Outlaw but it seems to be taking forever and I also was looking at the Emotiva UMC-1 but now it seems to be full of bugs.

My question is what would U do with around $900 to spend to replace a long in the tooth failing pre/pro.

Maybe a nice Pioneer Elite or Harmon Receiver or should I wait for another true Pre/pro as I already have a fine amplifier?

2 channel music is very important to me and the reason I went with separates to begin with but now some of the new receivers sound damn good with very high end DAC's to boot.

I have a decent collection of SACD and DVD-A disk that I need to continue playing as well. With this in mind what fits that bill.

Any info would be of great help to me. I've been out of this now since I bought my 950/7100 combo and feel behind the curve a bit now that its time for upgrades.

Thanks in advance.

Lasher

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you like the Elites, I recently got an SC-25 from BB that was on sale for about what you're looking to spend. Keep an eye out, I'm sure they'll probably go back on sale again. They were on sale for that price just before X-mas and again a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you dmc,

Does anyone think the Emotiva or another Pre/pro (Integra maybe) would be worth looking into or have Receivers came far enough in there musical abilities that using one as a pre with my own amp will sound just as good as a dedicated?

I must admit I'm a bit suprised more have not chimed in with there opinions. This is still the AVS Forum right?

I remember some very heated discussions over what to choose for your hard earned $$.

How bout a few pros and cons here guys. Whats hot right now and whats not.

Half the fun I had when first building my system was the research and info I got here. The good and the bad. Give me some suggestions.

Thanks Again

Lasher

·
Registered
777 Posts
The VSX-23TXH was just on homegoodz.com for 538. Now a few days later there 599.

DMCGovern,which BBY did you get your SC-25.They dont ever put those on sale and thats less than the VSX-23TXH.?

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
I think he said he got the SC-25 on sale around the OP's original price which was $900. I highly doubt the MSRP $1699 SC-25 would ever be less than the VSX-23 which can be had in the $530-650 range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.