AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shuttle SFF HTPC with a Radeon 9700. I want to connect it

to my Sony Wega 36" SDTV through VGA out to the TV's component connections. The resoluton I want is 1024x768 (which my tv supports). Is it possible to do this with a transcoder? I can easily do it with the s-video connections but the clarity is not as good as I would like. I do own the ATI HDTV dongle and have hooked it up but I am limited to only HDTV modes that my tv doesn't support (except for 640x480), I plan on using the box almost exclusivly for gaming so I want 1024x768 obviously. Does the Crescendo VGA transcoder support 1024x768? From what I've read it doesn't seem to, but I wanted to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

· Registered
4,321 Posts
How do you know the Wega SDTV can handle 1024x768? Is it listed specifically in the TV's manuals/specs? S-Video does not output that resolution, but rather mimics the graphics of the resolution to a lower frequency.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....

I've been running it at 1024x768 svideo for a year or so now. The TV is suppossed to support it but I honestly don't know if it mimics the resolution or not, all I can say is it looks MUCH better at that resolution (it looks like one would expect it would when switching from 800x600 or 640x480). Like I said, I have the ATI dongle and when I used it I did notice graphics were crisper and colors were a bit brighter, but I could only use 640x480 and the tradeoff wasn't worth it. What I want is the superior display of the VGA at 1024x768 instead of svideo. Is this possible with a transcoder or do they only support HDTV modes (which I'm really not interested in). Again, it will be used mostly for gaming.

Thanks,

Joe

· Registered
6,664 Posts
I'd always thought that a transcoder could output any resolution that your video card could output (and that PowerStrip would "expose" more of those resolutions and allow you to tinker with them).

· Registered
878 Posts
The Crescendo will support that resolution without any problems. Your state your Sony to be SDTV, in that case it is unlikely that is does 1024x768.

Kei is correct about the s-video output. In the end it only supports 480i whatever your desktop resolution may be set at.

Kim Beumer

Crescendo Systems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.