AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe it's the famous forum-phenomena of 'only the angry bother to post' so let me ask:

HOW MANY HAPPY HCMW CUSTOMERS (FIRST TIME DELIVERY=PERFECT)?

thx!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rob, what was wrong with your screen? I have just recieved mine, but have not opened up the box yet.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Rob,

Mine should arrive soon. I think there are a lot of members who don't post, but will respond to a poll. You might get more reliable numbers with a poll.

--Darin

·
Registered
247 Posts
When Jason called to say mine was ready to ship I asked him about the posts. He said that there were few problems, don't worry.

Rob4x20, I concur with what you said above, the happy ones don't post.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just received my Cosmopolitan Electrol 92"x69" HCMW.

I thought I had waves at first - turned out to be reflected light coming from the skylight directly above.

For some reason, wife won't let me paint it black :)

Andrew

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I just got mine tonight. I pulled it out of the box and hung it up. After I pulled it down it looked pretty flat to me. After using it I see that it does have about 5 vertical waves on the left 3 feet of the screen and about 3 vertical waves on the right 2 feet. The middle is very flat. I didn't notice the waves on most scenes with about 30 minutes viewing, but I do see them on lighter scenes. This was just out of the box, so I'll give it some time to hang. I'll be leaving it down about 90% of the time as I mostly put it up to get to a window behind it. If it doesn't flatten out over the next couple of days I will try some small weights and magnets or something else to see what I can do.

I put it up after it was dark out, so I was just using the lights in my theater room. As far as the color of the material, it looked white to me. I basically had to put a white piece of paper up on the screen to see the difference in shading. I would have thought it was even an off-white. When I put the paper on my matte white screen they looked the same, but the paper on the HCMW does show a contrast. I'll look at it again with some sunlight tomorrow.

It had been a few days since I had watched anything, so my impressions are from memory. After some viewing with LOTR I did start to feel that I was seeing some depth that I hadn't noticed before. I also didn't notice as much mosquito noise on one sky scene, but that could be due to a change I made to my HTPC. I loaned out my Galapagos DVD today that has my favorite tests for mosquito noise.

I have a Sharp M20x XGA DLP projector and my HCMW screen is 92" wide. A couple of weeks ago I was getting frustrated with the images and was getting close to buying an HT1000. I've measured about 750:1 contrast after calibrating the M20x, but I was having big problems with dark scenes. I've watched chapter 30 from the regular version of LOTR about 50 times on different projectors and settings (this is just after the cave troll). I just couldn't make out the details in the dark scenes. I was using a Panasonic RP82 and PowerDVD on my HTPC. About a week ago I installed TheaterTek and I couldn't believe the difference. I could finally tell everything that was going on in that chapter. Tonight I tried it on the HCMW. I have a feeling that the grey screen did help, although I think TheaterTek was probably a bigger jump. I think I noticed more depth after viewing for a little while as I mentioned. I couldn't see anything in that chapter tonight that needed improvement, which is a huge change from before. I'm back to being amazed at what this thing can do. Especially for the price (about $2600 for the projector).

I'll do some more testing, but I'm pretty happy with the grey screen and hope that I can get it a little flatter. If not, maybe I'll get an HCCV screen.

--Darin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been reading the posts on the HCMW screens with great interest. I seems to me that the majority if not all problems have been with the Model B screens and widths greater than 92" I suspect the small roller at these lengths sags a little in the middle. This results in the waves in the corners. Then when the screen is raised and lowered the waves get set as creases. This would explain why the screens are fine when they leave the Da-Lite factory.

Has anyone had problems with the Model B at 80" width or a Model C or electric which have bigger rollers? I realize that this is a new screen material but this is obviously something Da-Lite could investigate at their factory. Perhaps they should not sell this screen material with a Model B roller.

Rob

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have noticed even in other parts of the form how people do mention the "wave" issue, but do not say if it's a problem for them or not and not only in the HCMW material as I've had the 1.5 video having the same problem. MY screen size is 65 X 116 Cosmo Electric.

I seem to have started this issue, but only to point out my experience and wanted to know if anyone else had these issues. Like any other section in this forum, is it complaining if you have a problem with any equipment and bring the issue up? sheesh

This forum has resolved some major issues with manufactures that would have not been corrected if not for people bringing it up here.

DaLite is working hard to get my situation corrected! I have mentioned this fact repeatedly, but maybe I should mention this at the begining of my posts so that forum members that only read the first two lines won't "assume" that some people are just "complaining".

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glad you brought it up. Discussion here lets the manufacturer's know if have a "real" issue or not. One guy's comment about a wave issue is not a problem but multiple comments about wave issues are a problem to deal with...

Glad to see you "complaining :D ". With your "complaining :D " maybe DaLite has the issue resolved and it'll go away...

All the Best,

Dan

·
Registered
207 Posts
robpf,

I ordered a 84" diagonal (50 x 67) Model B w/ CSR and have all the problems that the others are experiencing. My third one will be on the way shortly...hopefully third time is the charm.

As far as the actual material goes I just love it. If I didn't care for the results I am seeing I would not insist on a perfect screen and just find another product. Good luck to everyone and getting one that lays flat.

David

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just hung my model B 92" diagonal today and it is far from perfect. The entire room is ready except I'm waiting on my projector. Might as well call Da-Lite and get this resolved first. Two waves on the left and one large one on the right side.

Donnie

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also unpacked my Model B HCMW this past weekend and I also have waves on both sides. The right side is worse than the left side. I don't have a projector yet (end of this week) so I have no idea if this will bother me or not! :confused:

Oh well, they sent me a white case one too by mistake instead of a black, but girlfriend actually like the white so I'm keeping this for now. We'll see how the waves turns out.

Jim

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had a Da lite High Contrast 92" HD format model B w/csr for 2 years now. I still have the waves in mine and after three different screens the first one I got had the least amount of waves so I have lived with it. I too am happy with the material and figure that is the best screen hardware I'm gonna get at this price level.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just received my HCMW last night. Noted there's a small wave on the left side of the screen and no wave on the right. Basically, pretty flat considering it has no side supports. Mine's a keeper.

Now all I need is the HS10 to finish this thing out!!!

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I received mine three weeks ago and have been very happy with it. There are some very small waves near the bottom right but they only appear once in a while. The contrast and the ability to use the room during daylight hours with this screen make it a great choice. My previous screen was blackout fabric. This new screen looks good in my living room and disappears when not in use which is why my wife insisted I get one.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CPotatoe
Received my (3rd) replacement inspected by Blake. All is well. 4 month odyssey has ended on a happy note.
That is great to hear. I've decided that mine looks like it was folded up lengthwise before it was assembled. I bought a portable heater tonight and I'm going to try blowing warm air on it from a little ways away for a night or two. Sounds like they are getting better and if I do send it back I might get a better one.

I like the gray material but after checking it next to a portable Hi-Power that I have I'm going to order a Hi-Power. I may keep an HCMW and a Hi-Power and just swap them as I feel like it. I really like the bright image I got from the Hi-Power and the way it handle dim overhead lighting, though. That is an incredible screen for the price.

--Darin

·
Registered
63 Posts
I received my 80" HCMW Model B yesterday. I hung it up, and it's as perfect as a pulldown can be, IMO. It appears flat, but it has a touch of waviness that is typical of pulldown screens (at least the ones I've seen in business and academic settings). As far as projected image... it looks good, I guess. I haven't comparison shopped for any screens.

I also don't notice this "pearlescense" of the HCMW, is there supposed to be any? The screen is textured, but I don't catch any sort of colors with light reflected at various angles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I thought I would throw in my experience into the mix. I got my HCMW 92" Model B with CSR and hung it up last night. When I pulled it down I immediately saw that it was not taut, and that the material near the bottom corners were loose and kind of flapping. When I projected an image on it I saw that there were several waves. They were all starting from the top and pointing down to the middle. I was hoping that they would work themselves out while hanging, but after reading the forums, I'm not as hopeful.

Does anyone have the model C with the larger rollers have this problem?

If this doesn't work out, what are the alternatives for a grey screen in this price range?

Here are some screen shots. Is this the same or similar to what everyone else is seeing? (And in case anyone nitpicks, I will need to rehang the screen since it is too low, and I messed up on placement...)
http://home.attbi.com/~ec6412/HCMW_blue.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~ec6412/HCMW_flash.jpg

Ed

·
Registered
857 Posts
well you got Pull Down Screen ... This is somewhat "NORMAL" for them to have waves like that ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ec6412
I thought I would throw in my experience into the mix. I got my HCMW 92" Model B with CSR and hung it up last night. When I pulled it down I immediately saw that it was not taut, and that the material near the bottom corners were loose and kind of flapping. When I projected an image on it I saw that there were several waves. They were all starting from the top and pointing down to the middle. I was hoping that they would work themselves out while hanging, but after reading the forums, I'm not as hopeful.

Does anyone have the model C with the larger rollers have this problem?

If this doesn't work out, what are the alternatives for a grey screen in this price range?

Here are some screen shots. Is this the same or similar to what everyone else is seeing? (And in case anyone nitpicks, I will need to rehang the screen since it is too low, and I messed up on placement...)
http://home.attbi.com/~ec6412/HCMW_blue.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~ec6412/HCMW_flash.jpg

Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.