AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a JLB ES250PWBK for right under 600 bucks, and i must have received a faulty one or it is just junk! I couldnt get much bass out of it. Their customer service is HORRIBLE, too!

Here's the scoop.

Price range: Under $600

Wireless is needed.

I listen to songs with a lot of bass, sound I need a powerful sub. I am a bit excessive with my bass requirements.

Volume will be up loud often.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You need to first figure out why the sub didn't work for you. It may not be the subs fault. We need some basic information. What size is your room? What other speakers do you have? Did you try several different sub calibrations, and what where they? Different placement positions? There are many variables at play here. You need to sort through them first. Especially if you like a bass heavy room. Thats not always the easiest thing to accomplish depending on several of the variables stated above.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

what, you mean you don't just toss a big box in a room, plug it in, and then you'll be bangin'????

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Did you program your receiver so that is knows you now have a subwoofer?

Were you in 2-channel mode on your receiver?

What receiver do you have?

·
Registered
30,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnagy
I purchased a JLB ES250PWBK for right under 600 bucks, and i must have received a faulty one or it is just junk! I couldnt get much bass out of it. Their customer service is HORRIBLE, too!

Here's the scoop.

Wireless is needed.

I listen to songs with a lot of bass, sound I need a powerful sub. I am a bit excessive with my bass requirements.

Any Ideas?
Can I ask (1) what the rest of your setup is and (2) why did you pick this JBL?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a pioneer VSX1120. Yes i did program it to recognize the sub. I have MTX Audio center and surrounds. I did try different sub settings under the LFE portion of the setup. It allows you to adjust from 0db to -20db. Nothing i tried made a difference. I called the tech support for both companies and still nothing. Seemed to me like it was defective. The room is about 2500-3000 cuft. Not sure about the 2-channel mode?

I picked this JBL because it was the best wireless sub i could find in the price range.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
What did you have the gain set to on the back of the sub? Was it at least 50%? The sub trim in the receiver should be as close to 0 as possible. With things set that way you should of been getting some bass. If not, then I would slowly turn the gain on the back of the sub up slowly to get more bass. If you turned the gain up to near max. As a test. Not recommended to leave it there. And still could not get it to produce much bass while being near it. You could have a bad unit. Your room is to large for a single sub like that to give you night club bass throughout the whole room. Im leaning towards the issue being the large room size.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately you are very limited in your options for a quality sub when you are looking at only wireless ones. I can see where you got the JBL because it is wireless. But after extensive research and hearing from JBL users who are happy with their JBL speakers like myself, they and I wouldn't ever consider a JBL subwoofer as they do not provide good value at all.

For your 2500-3000 cu ft space you should consider a quality ported sub from one of the ID companies such as SVS, HSU, Elemental Designs, and Lava. Epik is also a great option but no ported available right now. Your best value is probably (2) Lava LSP12, which would fill your space nicely, for under $600 shipped. For around your $600 budget there are many nice options that would BLOW AWAY the JBL you tried out!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I know nothing about that sub but a quick check of Amazon shows the wireless version is almost double the wired version ($565 shipped vs $295 shipped) that tells me its at the most a

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer
i know nothing about that sub but a quick check of amazon shows the wireless version is almost double the wired version ($565 shipped vs $295 shipped) that tells me its at the most a

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnagy /forum/post/0

Here's the scoop.

Wireless is needed.

Any Ideas?

How about buy a better sub? That's the best idea I can come up with. ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts