AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just a wimp, but I am finding that my DILA is pretty dang heavy for a 1 man ceiling installation.

It is times like these I wish I had one of those sub 5lb projectors.

The other problem is that it is quite big! I am having to do all sorts of crazy stuff to re-install my projector so that it will work with a Panamorph and still fit in my hall ceiling.

Oh well. If that is my only major complaint, I guess that I should be grateful.

Maybe I need to work out more. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
842 Posts
That is why my projector is on a modified sharp projector

mount. Remove one safety screw, push the retaining

clip and the whole thing slides off the mount in under

a minute. One person can easily do it

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenliles:
Cameron-

Same here buddy - I can't get mine down without help from the wife...

ken
That makes sense to me.

I always need your wife to help get it up.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It's definitely a workout when you need to lift it up and down from the mount a few times.

However, you should read some of the stories in the CRT forum. Three guys on the top of a ladder with a 200 pound beast over their heads. The average weight per person is still twice that of the DILA, and I'm sure it's quite a bit more awkward.

A 10 pound diet would be nice...

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are hanging your projector from a standard 8 foot ceiling, then the 30 lbs seems quite heavy. Mine is mounted above a rear tier which reduces the reach to 7'4", and makes a big difference in the apparent weight when your arms are not fully extended.

The cost of the projector and the consequent financial and emotional damage should it crash to the ground adds at least 100 lbs to the perceived heaviness. It's almost like totalling your 4 year old car just after you have finished with the payments. Ouch!

A friend of mine, each time he would buy a new house, would open a can of beer and pour it over the living room carpet as soon as he moved in. That way he never worries about any accidents which would occur while living there. That was his solution to the anxiety of owning an expensive item.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I own't touch the wife jokes, but I remember doing a ceiling installation of my previous 200+ lb CRT projector, and going to the 30 lb D-ILA was relatively a piece of cake as far as lifting and ceiling mounting was concerned.

Sure, a 3 lb FPTV would be much simpler to carry, lift, and install. But I only pull the projector down once or maybe twice a year, so it's no problem. And I wouldn't accept the lower resolution of a lighter projector in exchange for an easier installation anyway.

But those are just my priorities, and were even when I had the MUCH heavier CRT FPTVs before.

-Dean.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I can't even compare my woes to the CRT guys. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Most of the time I don't have too many problems sliding my projector into its bracket, but I had worked pretty hard all through the morning and I was a good bit worn out. Due to the fact that I have an interesting dropped ceilng setup, I have to reach quite far to put the projecor in. Tonight I thought I was going to die when I tried to put it in. I finally got it in, but I think I put the projector at more risk than I should have.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Hey Kenliles.. After reading Cameron's last post, I must admit I do have to get my wife to help me put it in........

---

Cameron:

1) What sort (Brand/model) of ceiling mount do you have???

2) How can you mount in on the ceiling, unless your image sits very high on the wall??

3) Get us some photos, if I have to drive down there and take them myself!! ;-)

4) How large is your screen, and how far back is the first row??

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK Cain here is the rundown.

I must first say the the theater is not finished yet but it is really close. That is why I am doing all of this extra install stuff now.

1) My mount is a Premier mount. It is a nice little mount with a lot of adjustments. There is a bracket on it that attaches to the projector. It then clips into the ceiling mount. It is quite nice when you are having to put the projector in or take it out.

2) The mount is about 3" high so the projector comes down about 3" from the top of my 8'9" ceiling. The lens on the projector is another 6 or so inches down from there. Then while shining through the Panamorph, the top of the image would be about 9" below that. The screen bottom starts about 38" off of the floor. The screen doesn't seem too high for me. It is a nice height for those sitting in the second row too.

3)Photos: I will see what I can do. I may have a friend come over to take some pics. I think that I am doing some interesting things.

4)My screen is 96"x54" GrayHawk. I haven't actually unpacked the screen itself. Just the frame. I have been doing all of my initial setup up in my office with my HTPC and DILA shining on the white wall. The picture is great there, It will be much much better when I put up the GrayHawk. BTW. It is a microperfed GrayHawk.

The 1st row is a couch with 2 built in recliners, which sits about 11' back from the screen. Which is about a 40 degree viewing angle. The 2nd row is 4 Theater seats which are about 3.5' farther back.

Next Thursday the carpet goes in http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

On the 30th, the Peiffers are coming to do the wall fabric and accoustic treatments. After that it is downhill sailing.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Wow, Cameron,

That sounds awesome. I'll bet you can't wait to put the finishing touches on it!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I can't wait. I have been dreaming about it for a good year now. I started work at the beginning of the year. I was hoping to be done by the end of February. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The crazy thing is that it won't really function until the fabric and acoustic treatments go in because I don't want to subject my equipment to the construction zone.

The wait has been torture, but I am usually happy when I get to work on it at least.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Cameron-

Sounds like a great project! I'll be interested to hear how the grayhawk does compared to the white wall. I went from a white wall to a gray painted one with excellent results - I'm sure it doesn't compare well to the grayhawk, but I would sure like to hear your impression when the time comes

ken

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ah, you D-ILA guys are all wimps. I lifted my G90 to the ceiling with one hand!

Wm

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cameron

My room is currently under construction. I also intend to use fabric and acoustic treament on the walls but have not made a decision on the acoustic system. Would you care to share the material/manufacturer that you are using?

Tony C

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tony,

I am using Guilford of Maine fabric for the fabric. On the lower portion of the wall, I will be using TheaterShield. On the upper walls, I will be using Dacron batting. The inside of the proscenium will be lined with Theater Shield too.

That about covers it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.