AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK after emailing and poking around this morning I have managed to get totally confused on this issue, based on conflicting answers for my questions. Hope this one last post can clear it up, hear is what I cross-posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv:

Getting a lot of conflicting information on the following situation.

On one side of the equation I have two inputs from the elliptical dish running into the Sony T-60 DirecTivo unit. These are the only two inputs allotted for this room.

On the other side we have the Panasonic 47WX49 HDTV.

In between I would like to insert the RCA HDTV decoder, but use it is a "passthrough" if that is possible - in other words, I do not want to use its DirecTv capabilities. Some have said I need to have it hooked to the dish directly, others no. Some have said a special adapter is needed for the RCA unit, if anyone knows which kind, this would be good to know.

**Can the output on the T-60 be used as the RCA input?

Any help completing this equation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all those that have been helping me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I assume the RCA HDTV decoder is a DirecTV receiver. If so, the only way it can get HDTV signals is from the dish. The Tivo box cannot pass through the satellite dish signal. All outputs of the Tivo will be NTSC, regardless if on the RF output, the SVideo or the composite video.

I am pretty sure you need to treat the HDTV receiver just liek a separate standalone satellite receiver and give it its own RG6 feed from a multiswitch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a pretty similar setup so let me see if I can explain...

First, don't try and pass through the DTC-100, you really don't want to do that. Just treat them as completely seperate entities.

For regular sat/Tivo, connect your two sat feeds to your T60 and then connect the T60 to your TV using an S-video cable.

For HD, if you don't want DirectTV HD, you do NOT need to have the DTC-100 connected to a sat feed. Simply connect an antenna to the DTC-100 and then connect the DTC-100's HD output to HD input on the TV. Now, the output of the DTC100 is RGB only, so if the TV can handle RGB input then all you need is a VGA->5RCA cable (or a VGA->5BNC cable w/ 5 BNC->RCA adapters). If your TV can only handle component input, then you need an RGB->Component transcoder between the DTC-100 and the TV, like the RCA VHDC-300. If this is the case and you don't already own the DTC100/VHDC-300 you may want to consider using an HD receiver that has component output like the Sony SAT-HD100 or the Panasonic TU-HDS20.

In the future, if you decide that you want DirectTV HD, you'll need to run another (ie. third) sat feed to the DTC-100. You'll need to be using a properly configured oval sat dish and you'll need to pay the additional receiver fee to DirectTV.

/Matt

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
>>> I assume the RCA HDTV decoder is a DirecTV receiver. If so, the only way it can get HDTV signals is from the dish.

This is *NOT* true. The only current RCA HDTV receiver

is the DTC-100 and that model can also receive HDTV

signals as "OTA" throught the antenna inputs. In other

words it can receive HDTV channels from the satellite

input *OR* HDTV signals sent as ATSC/8VSB through a regular

TV antenna input.

For instannce the old Dish 5000 receivers can be used

to receive Dish Network HDTV and then through a

discontinued 8VSB modulator module you can pipe that

output into the OTA antenna input on the DTC-100.

Anything which can output 8VSB ATSC signals can be used

to feed HDTV into the RCA DTC-100. Unfortunately there

aren't very many devices (besides a Dish 5000 modulator,

OTA TV antenna and Sencore playback box) that will output

an 8VSB signal.

What would be really nice is a TiVo like box with 8VSB

inputs and outputs but such a thing doesn't exist

(as far as I know).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkingman:
For HD, if you don't want DirectTV HD, you do NOT need to have the DTC-100 connected to a sat feed. Simply connect an antenna to the DTC-100 and then connect the DTC-100's HD output to HD input on the TV.
This works great IF you have that 3rd coax cable coming into the room from you antenna. If you absolutely only have 2 coax feeds available to the room, then a possible alternative is to replace the 4 x 4 switch (the one that comes with the elliptical dish) with a 5 x 4 or 5 x 8 switch which will allow you to mux together the Sat and OTA (both NTSC and ATSC) signals.

------------------

endlessly (and mindlessly) in pursuit of clarity and precision

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.