AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm not freaking out so much anymore. I've somewhat of an idea what direction I'll be going, but need a little nudge to either side of the fence.

Here's what I've already got:

-a pair of Thiel CS3.5

-Onkyo M-504 amplifier

-dung-pile of a DVD player soon to be replaced by a non-dung-pile player

Here's what I'd like your opinions about and why you picked your choice between the two:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast1.html

OR
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

Onkyo TX-SR605

OR

Onkyo TX-SR805

Also, will both receivers allow me to use the amp that I already have with them? I'm sooooo close to finishing, I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
whichever receiver you get make sure it has pre-outs for the front two channels if you want to use it with your amplifier

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I don't get it, are you trying to run separate stereo and HT setups or are you trying to kludge together those nice Thiels with budget speakers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just happened upon the Thiels. I'm not too sure which way to run and I'm no expert so I'm open to any suggestions.

I was thinking that if the 2 speaker system choices above are too weak to run with the Thiels in a HT setup, then I'll run the Thiels separately for music and one of the above for a 5.1 HT. If they are able to run with the Thiels, it'll be a 7.1 system and music as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm finally going to drop the hammer on a new set of speakers by the end of this week. I wasn't aware that mismatching speakers was a bad thing which means I may just end up returning the Thiels back to the 'rents since the brand is out of my price range and I have no idea how I'd match them (I am a noob after all). I have a couple of days left and I'm still open to any of your experienced suggestions or advice. Here's the potential combos (the first is for laughs...):

COMBO 1 (pretty much showing how much help I need lol):

Onkyo M-504 Amp

Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver

Thiel CS3.5 L/R

AV123 x-voce Center

AV123 x-ls Rears

AV123 MFW-15 Sub

COMBO 2 (about $1800):

Onkyo TX-SR605

x-cs encore Center

x-ls encore L/R/Rears

MFW-15 sub

COMBO 3 (about 1500):

Onkyo TX-SR605

Hsu Enthusiast 2 package

Though I would prefer the AV123 speakers, Hsu tempts me because I can probably get it sooner and they're a local company, as I'm in the OC. If I can suppress the inner instant-gratification-whore in me, I may be able to go with #2.

Here's a problem that I still don't have an answer to, which I hope you guys can provide some insight: My place is a 2 story loft. The effective entertainment area measures around 12ft(L) x 15ft(W) x 14-18ft(H). The entertainment area will be around 12ft long, but of course it goes straight to the end of my place, no walls. The width is a straightforward 15ft from TV to couch. The ceiling is vaulted and open to the second floor. I guess my question would be whether the AV123 or the Hsu speakers would be too small for the volume or if they would suffice.

Again, any thoughts, advice, or adjustment suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I hate to sound like the resident HSU speaker basher but I don't feel they are competitive with the AV123 offerings.

If you're not sure you agree you should buy a single pair of X-LS and compare them to the HB-01 since HSU is local it will be easy to return once you realize how right I am, then order the rest of the X speakers.

A word of caution regarding X-LS as rear speakers. They are not small and if you plan to mount them to your wall you'll need some hefty mounts. I am using them as rears so they work but they are large so be aware.

If you listen to multichannel music then you want your rears to match the fronts, otherwise it is not a huge deal to have mis matched rears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Mucho and deneb! So I take it you saying "They are not small..." means they'd be more than enough for my place? Payday is coming up and now I just have to decide what finish I want to get. Deneb, the AV123s are going to cost around $1400, or about the most I'm willing to go for now. I'm going to kick the Thiels back to my parents and they can get that SCS4, which is around a grand if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts