AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have figured out a way to make this 3-monitor dream system that I have been talking about. Here's the plan: Radeon 9800 Pro...run the s-video to my bigscreen non-hd monitor. Run the DVI output into a KDS KD-VTCA2 transcoder and loop the vga back to the monitor (the transcoder has 2 outputs, one component and one vga), and run the transcoder's component output to my 32" HD TV.

I have one question though. Does anyone know if you can set different resolutions with the different outputs of this video card. I am almost certain that my bigscreen isn't going to take 1024x768, which is what I want to set the other 2 monitors at. I'm not even totally sure that it's going to run 800x600 all that well. If anyone has any information on how non-hd tv's (50" mitsubishi with y/cb/cr inputs?) react to pc signals, please let me know. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
106 Posts
For the setup that you intend the answer is no, but that doesn't matter if what happens on the bigscreen is all you care about. The S-video output is a dedicated NTSC 480i output all the time and is all that NTSC sets can sync to or display.

IF you are expecting something different on the HD monitor and the VGA monitor however you are out of luck. The loopback through the transcoder cannot place a different resolution on the VGA monitor than will be shown on the HDTV monitor and the latter will typically constrain the synchronization choices to a single native or to several (internal processor models) horizontal scan rates, usually 31.5 kHz for 480p, 33.5 khz for 1080i and around 45 kHz for 720p.

Another way of saying this is that the transcoder is not a video processor it is an analog component color space mapper taking RGBHV and creating Y,Pb,Pr. These component outputs are just linear(weighted sums and differences) combinations of RGB VGA outputs, with the HV syncs scaled from TTL levels to video levels and superimposed on the Y (luminance) component output.

To run two different resolutions on two different monitors you need a dual head video card. You can run different resolutions through the VGA and DVI outputs, which I think the 9800 pro has, but one of your monitors needs to have a DVI input. Lacking that you buy a LCD monitor to use with the DVI output, however you shouldn't need it once you get an acceptable desktop on the HDTV monitor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply! The 9800 pro only has a DVI and an s-video out. ATI makes a DVI to VGA adapter, though. The only reason I am thinking of using the transcoder is because it actually has 2 outputs...one component and one VGA. What i'm shooting for is to have the DVI go through the transcoder, then to both the HDTV and my computer monitor, at the same resolution (1024x768) and then have the S-video go to the bigscreen, but I'm thinking I will have to set that at 800x600 for it to even be recognizable on a 50" non-hd projection tv. That's why I was asking if anyone knew if I could set the resolutions differently. Anyone else? Thanks again, I'm just trying to avoid as much trial-and-error as possible here!

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.